Father time: Our dads and their watches

koimaster
Founder

Father time: Our dads and their watches

Post by koimaster » June 22nd 2021, 11:48pm

My father’s daily wearer was a battered old field watch that he wore on a stripy NATO band. It hailed from Timor – nope, not the place, but the brand that was one of the original “Dirty Dozen” and delivered an estimated 13,000 watches to the MoD during World War II. The watch no longer ticks, but I keep in my desk drawer as a memento. My father died when I was 11 and I take a weird comfort at having one of his intimate possessions close by.

They say you turn into your old man as you age and I seem to have inherited his taste in watches. I’m drawn to the no-fuss simplicity of the Timor’s dial and have always loved the unobtrusive looks of a NATO strap. In fact, I’m actually in the market for a field watch myself. So why don’t I just get my father’s watch serviced ? Well, there’s literally just one small problem. While I generally wear watches in the 36mm-38mm zone, my father’s timepiece has a diameter of barely 30mm. If I could supersize then it would be on my wrist right now. Admittedly, the Timor brand has been resurrected of late and they do now make a handsome field watch that’s 36.5mm and true to its heritage roots. Maybe I’ll get one, but it’ll never be my dad’s watch.

https://timeandtidewatches.com/father-t ... r-watches/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Father time: Our dads and their watches

Post by Falstaff » June 23rd 2021, 8:25am

My Dad's watch was a Rolex Speedking that he won in a raffle at a PX in Namur, Belgium in 1944. I believe he wore it every day until my mother gave him an Accutron at Christmas in 1976. I still have both of 'em - in running condition - and wear them periodically. The 30mm Speedking looked pretty rough - and I do mean rough - after some 30+ years of daily wear. I sent it off to Rolex for a tune-up and I let them re-do the dial and put on a new crystal, but I told them to leave the original hand set as is. The Rolex is still on Dad's mesh-look slide adjustment bracelet and the Accutron is on a vintage Twist-O-Flex. I also have his Dad's (my grandfather's) Hamilton pocket watch as well as his Dad's (my great grandfather's) Ball pocket watch. Both are in14kt yellow gold and have very high grade movements. They too are in good running order.

Interestingly, my first Swiss watch was a Timor that I bought in Geneva in 1966. A simple 3 hand 17j. model, it cost me $60. Wish I still had it. I do check in on Ebay every now and again hoping to spot one....
Last edited by Falstaff on June 23rd 2021, 8:38am, edited 1 time in total.
"Leiden oder Triumphieren - Amboss oder Hammer sein!"

Goethe
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » June 23rd 2021, 8:37am

Falstaff wrote:
June 23rd 2021, 8:25am
My Dad's watch was a Rolex Speedking that he won in a raffle at a PX in Namur, Belgium in 1944. I believe he wore it every day until my mother gave him an Accutron at Christmas in 1976. I still have both of 'em - in running condition - and wear them periodically. The 30mm Speedking looked pretty rough - and I do mean rough - after some 30+ years of daily wear. I sent it off to Rolex for a tune-up and I let them re-do the dial and put on a new crystal, but I told them to leave the original hand set as is. The Rolex is still on Dad's mesh-look slide adjustment bracelet and the Accutron is on a vintage Twist-O-Flex.

Interestingly, my first Swiss watch was a Timor that I bought in Geneva in 1966. A simple 3 hand 17j. model, it cost me $60. Wish I still had it. I do check in on Ebay every now and again hoping to spot one....
Awesome. Is the speedking a 4220?
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » June 23rd 2021, 8:45am

smellody wrote:
June 23rd 2021, 8:37am
Falstaff wrote:
June 23rd 2021, 8:25am
My Dad's watch was a Rolex Speedking that he won in a raffle at a PX in Namur, Belgium in 1944. I believe he wore it every day until my mother gave him an Accutron at Christmas in 1976. I still have both of 'em - in running condition - and wear them periodically. The 30mm Speedking looked pretty rough - and I do mean rough - after some 30+ years of daily wear. I sent it off to Rolex for a tune-up and I let them re-do the dial and put on a new crystal, but I told them to leave the original hand set as is. The Rolex is still on Dad's mesh-look slide adjustment bracelet and the Accutron is on a vintage Twist-O-Flex.

Awesome. Is the speedking a 4220?
Don't know. Where would I find that info? Ser. No. begins with 212.

Goethe
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » June 23rd 2021, 9:06am

smellody wrote:
June 23rd 2021, 8:49am
These are 4220 cases:

From the 40's the model will be marked in the case back.
That is certainly the case. Dial is the same as your top pic except fully numbered like your bottom pic (as was the original) but has original Mercedes hand set with the same red second hand. Underlined Rolex crown logo on the crown (may have been replaced during tune-up. I seem to remember the screw down may have been stripped, but can't find the repair ticket to verify) Case back has only "stainless steel" with "RWC" just underneath and the 6 digit serial number on the opposite side - no model number.

Goethe
smellody
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » June 23rd 2021, 9:30am

Falstaff wrote:
June 23rd 2021, 9:06am
smellody wrote:
June 23rd 2021, 8:49am
These are 4220 cases:

From the 40's the model will be marked in the case back.
That is certainly the case. Dial is the same as your top pic except fully numbered like your bottom pic (as was the original) but has original Mercedes hand set with the same red second hand. Underlined Rolex crown logo on the crown (may have been replaced during tune-up. I seem to remember the screw down may have been stripped, but can't find the repair ticket to verify) Case back has only "stainless steel" with "RWC" just underneath and the 6 digit serial number on the opposite side - no model number.
Very cool! That is a treasure.

Return to “General Watch talk”