Do I need a Date?

SynMike
Founding Member
Facebook ID: 0

Do I need a Date?

Post by SynMike » June 5th 2021, 10:56am

Hmmm. I think a date on my watch is useful, but not to actually look at.

I've always thought that I generally prefer no-date watches. There's no worry about am vs. pm when setting the time. No extra work to set the date. But...

I have many watches. I might wear the same watch for 3 days in a row, or I might change every day. Almost every time I put on an automatic watch, at least a few times a week, it has stopped and I have to set the time and date. I get the date from my phone, computer, Echo devices, etc. Now I know the date and I set it on my watch. But now that I know the date, I remember it for the rest of the day. So I don't have to look at my watch for the date. Useless little window, but setting the date tells me the date. A useless complication that helps me.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Re: Do I need a Date?

Post by jason_recliner » June 5th 2021, 3:29pm

I like the date window treatments and date wheel typefaces used on some watches. Others make a bit of a hash of the window and use bland date wheel fonts. I'm a sucker for a kanji day wheel, especially.

Usually I can't be fucked setting the date on a watch, especially if I'm only wearing it for a few days. I'll set the date on quartz watches because it's going to be right for at least four weeks or so. My G-Shocks were set before I got them and many years later are still correct so that's pretty sweet.

I need to know the date several times a day most days and often don't trust my memory. I tend to check the PC or phone rather than my watch.

So, in summary, I probably like having the date on my watch as long as it's well executed, but I don't use it.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks

Return to “General Watch talk”