Newbie Curiosity

Falstaff
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Newbie Curiosity

Post by Falstaff » April 16th 2021, 8:20am

Small production, limited marketing, typically geared to a specific "niche" - i.e. diver, aviator, etc., usually internet sales only, top end around $2k or so, many times a vanity project from a "I've always wanted to have my own watch brand" fellow. Micro brands, particularly those crowd funded, can come and go like a summer shower. Some have established an excellent reputation and have staying power, others are purest crap.
"Who are you?" "I am the new Number Two." "Who is Number One?" "You are Number Six."
svaglic (Online)
Master of Time

Post by svaglic » April 16th 2021, 8:30am

Examples would be
Prometheus (adequate)
Crepas (good)
Lew and Huey aka NTH (sucks)
Halios (good)
hked (good)
There are hundreds more that I think mostly suck.

Unless a micro brand provides something that I can’t find in another watch, I stick to established brands. I could spend 500 on a micro brand or 500 on a used Alpina or another good brand on watchrecon.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » April 16th 2021, 12:19pm

JAS1125 wrote:
April 16th 2021, 8:23am
^^^^
This
What they said.

I have purchased exactly two of what are considered "micro brands" and one of the companies is out of business two years after picking up one of their wares.

Just be careful out there. Always remember this: Buying vintage or micros, make sure before you buy one you know where and how to get it fixed if something goes wrong. It's like those flight attendants pointing out the side doors during the safety lecture: Most people just don't pay much attention, but you'll be happy you know what you know if something literally falls off. Vintage, in particular, needs far more maintenance than box fresh watches.
Now found at bestdamnwatchforum.
Masshole (Online)

Post by Masshole » April 16th 2021, 12:25pm

TemerityB wrote:
April 16th 2021, 12:19pm
JAS1125 wrote:
April 16th 2021, 8:23am
^^^^
This
What they said.

I have purchased exactly two of what are considered "micro brands" and one of the companies is out of business two years after picking up one of their wares.

Just be careful out there. Always remember this: Buying vintage or micros, make sure before you buy one you know where and how to get it fixed if something goes wrong. It's like those flight attendants pointing out the side doors during the safety lecture: Most people just don't pay much attention, but you'll be happy you know what you know if something literally falls off. Vintage, in particular, needs far more maintenance than box fresh watches.
Thank you. I’ll make sure to post anything I find before I purchase it.
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » April 16th 2021, 7:58pm

These days I view Halios as a genuine brand.

Its a micro in structure but a real watch company in its behaviour, quality, customer service and longivity.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » April 16th 2021, 11:08pm

Masshole wrote:
April 16th 2021, 8:37am
Thanks guys
Since I’m here to learn about vintage watches, and buy the perfect one for me, I’ll be staying clear of the micros
This is very smart. While there are a few microbrands out there that don't make me wish to hammer a Cabriole table leg up my fucking ass, most are fucking shit.
Masshole (Online)

Post by Masshole » April 17th 2021, 6:26am

conjurer wrote:
April 16th 2021, 11:08pm
Masshole wrote:
April 16th 2021, 8:37am
Thanks guys
Since I’m here to learn about vintage watches, and buy the perfect one for me, I’ll be staying clear of the micros
This is very smart. While there are a few microbrands out there that don't make me wish to hammer a Cabriole table leg up my fucking ass, most are fucking shit.
😂😂😂

Return to “General Watch talk”