Threads on crown tube

majt (Online)
Facebook ID: 0

Threads on crown tube

Post by majt » March 27th 2021, 12:51pm

So the question is if you can see on the pic, there are what appear to be crushed threads positioned on the very bottom of the crown tube. This is how the watch came. Normally I would have returned said model seiko how ever, I was able to see another model (save the ocean}, and it had the very same issue. The threads were crushed in the very same manner and position as my seiko.
It has not impeded the function of the crown but it is weird that seiko manufactured these models with this strange phenomena.. Both watches were made several years apart with the same configuration on the threads on the crown tube.
Same crown, same threads and the very same irregularity for both crown tubes .
unnamed.jpg
IMG-1555.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Threads on crown tube

Post by Racer-X » March 27th 2021, 2:15pm

If you mean what appears to be a tiny protrusion on the right where the tube meets the case, I wouldn't be concerned. Especially if another watch has the same and the crown threads properly.

Likely just a result of threading the crown to the case in manufacturing. At least your chapter ring is aligned. :mrgreen:
majt (Online)

Post by majt » March 27th 2021, 3:58pm

the point I'm trying yo make is that the threads appear to have been flattened as if they were damaged by a pair of needle nose pliers. I've never seen it before but the newer model had the exact same thing , flattened threads on the bottom of the case tube.
Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by Mark1 » March 27th 2021, 5:33pm

I looked at my bad ass Seiko Monster and it's threads go the length of the tube (at least to the point it goes into the case). If you've seen two that are the same it must be normal. If the crown screws down smoothly, it's probably nothing to worry about.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » March 27th 2021, 6:03pm

jason_recliner wrote:
March 27th 2021, 5:17pm
If it is the same on two watches, perhaps it's by design. Maybe it helps the crown seat more easily and smoothly?
Same watchmaker?

It sure does look like a tool mark. Be interesting to see if it's by design- lot of Seiko dive watches around here to check it out on
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » March 27th 2021, 8:03pm

majt wrote:
March 27th 2021, 7:42pm
It’s not a tool mark, it’s actually polished
Well, machining screws was definitely not my major, but it if the weirdness is polished, it does then appear to be by design. I shall look fwd to the explanation.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^

Return to “General Watch talk”