Moon watch vs Moon watch

koimaster
Founder

Moon watch vs Moon watch

Post by koimaster » February 13th 2021, 12:32am

A battle of the moon watches, but who is the winner?

Only two watches are confirmed to have been worn on the moon. The mechanical Omega Speedmaster (reference 105.012 and the 1966 update 145.012) and an automatic prototype Bulova (reference 88510/01). Other watches have certainly flown in space and are unofficially believed to have been worn as back-up watches, such as Ed Mitchell’s Rolex on Apollo 14, but there is no conclusive evidence such as NASA images or film.

Omegas dating from the classic Gemini and Apollo programs eras are available but command significant prices, even for watches in poor condition. Genuine NASA issue watches are exceptionally rare with only a few known to be sold, and only one of those being a genuine moonwalker. Ed White’s spacewalk Omega was sold in 1999 for £27,000. Although it is not a moon watch White and his Speedmaster provided some of the greatest Omega/NASA images of all time as the watch is clearly visible on his wrist during America’s first spacewalk EVA (Extra-Vehicular Activity).

https://www.watchgecko.com/battle-of-the-moonwatches/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Moon watch vs Moon watch

Post by biglove » February 14th 2021, 12:00pm

Every time I think I want a Moon Watch, I remember that Swatch won’t sell parts to my local watchmaker. Not an issue if is a generic Swiss movement but for all other parts, fuck you, Swatch.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » February 14th 2021, 6:31pm

biglove wrote:
February 14th 2021, 12:00pm
Every time I think I want a Moon Watch, I remember that Swatch won’t sell parts to my local watchmaker. Not an issue if is a generic Swiss movement but for all other parts, fuck you, Swatch.
Yeah, as much as I love Omega (and the Speedmaster), Swatch sucks big salty donkey balls. I mean, they actually like to lick off those little clumps of dead skin that get congealed in the drying sweat between the hair follicles.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » February 14th 2021, 8:57pm

If I understand correctly the Omega and the Bulova are the only true moon watches but the Speedmaster has the added distinction of failing on a moon mission.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » February 15th 2021, 12:19am

bedlam wrote:
February 14th 2021, 8:57pm
If I understand correctly the Omega and the Bulova are the only true moon watches but the Speedmaster has the added distinction of failing on a moon mission.
Guess Omega won’t ever use that fact in their marketing. 😂
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat

Return to “General Watch talk”