Non-gender watches

Mark1
Founding Member & Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Non-gender watches

Post by Mark1 » February 9th 2021, 5:12pm

So she's a gender bender (in the watch sense anyway) telling us all that watches shouldn't have a gender. Youngsters sure have a lot of identity issues these days. Let's deconstruct modern society because she's fickle about watches.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » February 9th 2021, 6:06pm

Mark1 wrote:
February 9th 2021, 5:12pm
So she's a gender bender (in the watch sense anyway) telling us all that watches shouldn't have a gender. Youngsters sure have a lot of identity issues these days. Let's deconstruct modern society because she's fickle about watches.
Yep, it's "choose your pronoun" time!
"Who are you?" "I am the new Number Two." "Who is Number One?" "You are Number Six."
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » February 9th 2021, 7:02pm

Her final parargraph after discussing the ways she has been marginalised in watch circles repeatedly:
Watches should be for everyone – whether you're just getting into them, or have been collecting for years. Removing dated gender labels from watches is not only a good first step to making the community more inclusive, it's also almost literally the least we can do.
Wow, so radical.

The reframing here of the intent of her words to disparage her perspective, just as she describes happens all the time, is telling.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » February 9th 2021, 8:15pm

None of this bothers me. But then again, 36mm is my favorite size.

It probably gets hard to come up with new topics to write about when it comes to watches, I get that - however, inventing problems that really don't exist just makes me click off the article. People of all stripes scream "unfair" these days, and I'm sure their self-entitled whining makes our forefathers say "WTF" above this mortal coil.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » February 10th 2021, 2:29pm

Falstaff wrote:
February 9th 2021, 1:02pm
To paraphrase - "All watches should be unisex - except for those made specifically for women" Uh-huh - I see.
Sounds like the very essence of the message of this editorial. It has been weighed, it has been measured, and it's not only been found wanting, but also brown and foetid.

Let's see... Looks like she's rolled out the artillery against my line of work... I suddenly remembered my Tennyson:

Cannon to right of them
Cannon to left of them
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered
Stormed at with shot and shell...

I am one, not six hundred, bur I reckon it's time to ride boldly and well, into the jaws of Death, into the mouth of Hell.
I do not need a salesperson to condescendingly guide me to a poorly lit case to show me what they think I would like in the ladies' section.
Now that's pretty fucking mean. "Condescendingly?" The first thing that I'll do, as a salesperson, is ask what can I help you with, how, and if anything has caught your eye, and if you'd like to have a closer look at it and/or try it on. If you ask about ladies' watches, I will fucking guide you to that case, which, by the way, is lit just as well as the display with gents' watches. If you point at a gents' watch and ask to try it on, and beforehand you'd have told me that it is you who wants to wear it, I won't reply "but it's a gents' watch!" I will put time, effort and heart into explaining to you why would it be a good choice, and if you have another watch in the pool you're choosing from, I will tell you which one would be a better choice from a technical standpoint.
I have sold gents' watches to ladies for them to wear - many times, in fact.
Dear Madam Barrett, I, the redundant and unworthy salesperson, thee implore: quit being so bloody presumptuous.
Call me crazy, but sometimes what I'm looking for is actually the latest steel sport watch that measures at least 36mm.
Then pray tell so upon being asked what can I help you with.
Maybe it's a chronograph – I don't know!
That's why the right thing to do is to let the customer walk along all the displays, so that we, the salespeople, can dispense with our efforts to read your mind. So far, the only mistake in the sales process that I can see is either a salesperson rushing it with engaging in conversation with the customer, or the customer not specifying what they want in the first place. We're not clairvoyant prophets endowed with extrasensory perception, you know.
When I find what I'm looking for, I will know it when I see it. And it won't be in that case.
And how the fuck are we supposed to know that? Specify your expectations. Then let us try to cater to them.
Y'all, it's 2021.
Why is it that people try to use the number of the century that we live in as the universal justification for everything, matters not if it's good, agreeable, disagreeable, or downright idiotic? Y'all, it's 1621, 1721, 1821, 1921, the fuck does that matter?!
Our readers begged for a female TW guest, so we found a successful, funny, wickedly smart, and accomplished woman who truly loves watches. And what did a bunch of the commenters do? They mocked her and her collection because she received some of them as gifts, and refused to sell one back to an ex-boyfriend. The hostility is enough to make any woman hesitate to post a photo or video.
OK, so there were some trolls, and you took them as the measure of the sentiments of the majority. That's so very thoughtful.
Do you know how humiliating it is to have your male colleagues have to read through and delete perverse YouTube comments that you received when all you were doing was talking about a new watch?
That blows. Although the way I see it, you're not going to solve the problem of mean basement-dwelling, priapic trolls or that of mean lesbian trolls (it seems like she thinks that all the mean stuff must have come from men) by dividing watches into unisex and ladies' watches, because that's what you're proposing.
And too many men think what women really want is a watch made for Barbie.
Have you even considered that that's not what men think? Or that so only men think, and other women don't? And face this, there's a lot of female customers who do want a small watch, which they do consider very feminine in nature. What matters is that you feel comfortable with what you're wearing, but that does not give you a green light for demeaning the designing and marketing of products to a specific target dem. Because ultimately, if there is a target dem that wants what's profiled as a GENTS' watch, by pushing for removal of that classification, you're pushing for taking something away from them. Same goes for the target dem that wants a watch that's a LADIES' one through and through. That strikes me as, frankly, insipid and insecure, and as trying to inflict your views on others as a means of trying to build an ideology around own choices. Feel good with your choices, and you won't need an ideology. If someone is shunning what you're wearing, that's a matter of their poor manners, not of what you're wearing. Sure, if you'd be sporting an Invicter Bolt Zeus, because you have the hots for a 50-something mm pile of bad taste, and wet dreams of the bezel cable twist, something in me will scream internally, and I might well feel like I hate your fucking Invicter. But I won't say a fucking word about that, let alone insult you.
Last edited by MKTheVintageBloke on February 10th 2021, 3:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
Watch Noob
Banned

Post by Watch Noob » February 10th 2021, 2:51pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
February 10th 2021, 2:29pm
Great response from a salesman point of view. Wait, is salesman correct or is it salesperson? Or salesgenderneutralperson? At any rate, I don't envy your job if you have to put up with shit like this.
:bvbvbv:
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » February 10th 2021, 3:33pm

They told us at work we were going to have to start asking our patients what pronoun they wish to be addressed as.

Told my boss I could see myself trying to explain that to Vietnam and Korean War vets who would then promptly run my fat ass out of their rooms.

Being PC is like trying to pick up a turd on the clean end.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » February 10th 2021, 4:22pm

biglove wrote:
February 10th 2021, 3:33pm
They told us at work we were going to have to start asking our patients what pronoun they wish to be addressed as.

Told my boss I could see myself trying to explain that to Vietnam and Korean War vets who would then promptly run my fat ass out of their rooms.

I favor "you there."
"Who are you?" "I am the new Number Two." "Who is Number One?" "You are Number Six."
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » February 10th 2021, 6:18pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
... quit being so bloody presumptuous.
And pretentious.

BTW did anybody know writing for Hoedonkee pays like that? A Royal Oak and a Rollie? Fuck me!
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » February 10th 2021, 6:19pm

Falstaff wrote:
February 10th 2021, 4:22pm
biglove wrote:
February 10th 2021, 3:33pm

I favor "you there."
"Oi!" also works.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » February 10th 2021, 6:40pm

Watch Noob wrote:
February 10th 2021, 2:51pm
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
Great response from a salesman point of view. Wait, is salesman correct or is it salesperson? Or salesgenderneutralperson? At any rate, I don't envy your job if you have to put up with shit like this.
:bvbvbv:

Return to “General Watch talk”