how the watch industry defied the odds

koimaster
Founder

how the watch industry defied the odds

Post by koimaster » January 29th 2021, 11:34pm

There are clearly human desires so profound that it takes more than a global pandemic and the wholesale changing of our way of life to derail them. For some of us it would seem that the need, the overpowering instinctual need, to buy watches was more potent than other more basic instincts. I read, write, talk, think and daydream rather a lot about watches, but even I was impressed when I heard from Danny Pizzigoni, founder of the vintage and secondary-market dealer Watch Club, that at the height of lockdown he was getting calls from customers desperate to buy and even conducting socially distanced deals in their back gardens.

Manufacturers closed, shops shuttered, travel at a standstill, global lockdowns in place, the thundering hooves of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse clearly audible… and people still wanted to buy watches.

In mid-August the watch industry received some welcome news when shares in the Watches of Switzerland group jumped by 24 per cent. As well as its flagship multibrand retailer Watches of Switzerland, the group comprises Goldsmiths, Mayors and Mappin & Webb, and has expanded across the Atlantic with key sites in Las Vegas and New York’s Hudson Yards.

https://www.ft.com/content/ce2894b4-cce ... 45ae78f160

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: how the watch industry defied the odds

Post by Pubbie » January 30th 2021, 7:57am

I would take issue with "human" desires and replacing it with "simpering middle classes with too much WFH money sloshing about and not enough holiday opportunities" desires. Since most other human desires during this pandemic haven't had a lot to do with watches!

Mind you the FT has always been an inward-looking, self-satisfied pinko gimp of a rag.
jason_recliner
ASSHAT

Re: how the watch industry defied the odds

Post by jason_recliner » January 30th 2021, 4:02pm

Pubbie wrote:
January 30th 2021, 7:57am
... most other human desires during this pandemic haven't had a lot to do with watches!
No shit. Pretty sure there's going to be a serious covid baby boom!
Pubbie wrote:
January 30th 2021, 7:57am
Mind you the FT has always been an inward-looking, self-satisfied pinko gimp of a rag.
Do you like it?
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks

Return to “General Watch talk”