snail mail

boscoe
ASSHAT

Re: snail mail

Post by boscoe » February 10th 2021, 4:51pm

We should remember there was a big push to gut the Post Office during the last administration - and its been a GOP target for more than a decade.
But things really got worse last year when sorting machines were yanked by Trump's PMG. This is not a political attack, merely a recitation of facts.
The service does , indeed, suck and I fear it will not get better.
Sold a watch & shipped two-day priority to Michigan that took 12 DAYS in early December.
Just had a $12000 watch shipped two-day priority take 10 days from Florida to Georgia. But I only paid $50 - with the express and $12,000 insurance.
UPS wanted $300 just for the insurance.
koimaster (Online)
Founder

Post by koimaster » February 10th 2021, 7:42pm

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/09/politics ... index.html
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DeJoy is on borrowed time.

House Votes to End Controversial USPS Payments for Future Retirees' Health Care
Postal Service applauds effort, but says more steps are needed to avoid financial collapse.

The House on Wednesday voted to end the U.S. Postal Service’s mandatory payments toward the health benefits for future retirees, advancing a measure that would eliminate a controversial requirement the cash-strapped mailing agency has defaulted on for years.

Congress first established the prefunding mandate in the 2006 Postal Accountability and Enhancement Act, the last major legislative overhaul of the Postal Service, and the requirement has hampered the agency ever since. Shortly after the law’s passage, the recession hit and mail volume began to decline precipitously. That trend has continued to this day, leaving USPS without the financial means to make the annual payments and forcing it to default on them while absorbing the losses on its balance sheet.

The Postal Service has lost money for 13 consecutive years and a majority of those losses stemmed from the prefunding requirement. In fiscal 2019, for example, 83% of the $8.8 billion the agency lost came from payments into its retiree pension fund and retiree health benefits fund. Critics of the mandate include a range of Republicans, Democrats, mailers and labor unions. They have estimated the law requires USPS to fund the benefits for retirees up to 75 years in the future, an obligation virtually no other government entities face.

Despite repeated bipartisan efforts, Congress has for years failed to repeal the mandate and reamortize the balance of USPS’ liabilities over a 40-year period as part of a larger postal overhaul effort. Wednesday’s vote marked the first time lawmakers pulled that provision into a standalone measure, as stakeholders have preferred to keep it as a bargaining chip to bring diverse views together for larger, compromise postal reform legislation.

"It gives them no flexibility, it gives them no additional cash flow," said Rep. Mark Meadows, R-N.C., who has helped push previous bipartisan postal reform efforts, on the House floor Wednesday. "I cannot support his bill because it does not do what we need to do, which is address the problem today. This just kicks the can down the road."

Other lawmakers suggested Congress should not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good. Rep. Earl Blumenauer, D-Ore., went a step further in making his case against prefunding.

"This is part of the effort by some who literally have a jihad against the Postal Service," the congressman said.

The USPS Fairness Act (H.R. 2382) had more than 300 cosponsors, including more than five-dozen Republicans. Sen. Steve Daines, R-Mont., has introduced a companion bill (S. 2965) in the Senate with Sen. Brian Schatz, D-Hawaii. The measure would eliminate the requirement going forward and forgive all payments on which USPS has defaulted.

Postal management has long called for the reform as one of the key tenets of any legislative effort to put the agency on better financial footing. Dave Partenheimer, a USPS spokesman, praised the legislation's intentions on Wednesday, while making clear it was only a first step for the changes the agency requires.

“This elimination of a requirement faced by no other public or private entity would improve our balance sheet and reduce our future reported losses,” Partenheimer said. “The Postal Service believes H.R. 2382 would be an important part of the legislative and regulatory changes—along with substantial self-help efforts by the Postal Service—that are necessary to secure our long-term financial stability.”

He added, however, it would not address the liquidity crisis that “will literally threaten our ability to deliver mail” in the next few years. The Postal Service pledged to work with Congress to craft a plan to make additional legislative changes. In addition to the prefunding repeal, lawmakers have looked to tweak the Postal Service’s delivery standards, enable larger price increases and establish new streams of revenue to reverse the mailing agency's slide.

https://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/20 ... re/162912/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
majt
Facebook ID: 0

Post by majt » February 15th 2021, 10:52am

Update , on the 14 of Feb , the parcel which had been stalled in N Jersey since the 16 0f Jan, finally said it cleared and it's on the way.

February 14, 2021, 9:09 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility
JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Your item departed our USPS facility in JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER on February 14, 2021 at 9:09 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

February 14, 2021, 9:06 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

A month to get from Kearny N Jersey to Dayton N jersey.......

February 14, 2021, 7:51 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
DAYTON, NJ 08810

January 16, 2021, 12:55 pm
Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending
KEARNY, NJ 07099

January 15, 2021, 8:32 am
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
DAYTON, NJ 08810

Now it goes to canada where customs does it's thing and on from there...... :dssd:
Watch Noob
Banned

Post by Watch Noob » February 15th 2021, 11:56am

majt wrote:
February 15th 2021, 10:52am
Update , on the 14 of Feb , the parcel which had been stalled in N Jersey since the 16 0f Jan, finally said it cleared and it's on the way.

Your item departed our USPS facility in JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER on February 14, 2021 at 9:09 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

DAYTON, NJ 08810

KEARNY, NJ 07099

DAYTON, NJ 08810

Now it goes to canada where customs does it's thing and on from there...... :dssd:
I think I'd rather deal with the DMV than these jerkoffs and that's saying a lot.
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » February 15th 2021, 12:01pm

Watch Noob wrote:
February 15th 2021, 11:56am
majt wrote:
February 15th 2021, 10:52am

DAYTON, NJ 08810

KEARNY, NJ 07099

DAYTON, NJ 08810

I think I'd rather deal with the DMV than these jerkoffs and that's saying a lot.
Speaking of the DMV- I've been waiting 3 weeks for my registration renewal to arrive.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
majt

Post by majt » February 15th 2021, 2:09pm

yup, never seen anything like this before, bought and sold lots of watches ,shipped all over the place and I'm gobsmacked. where I'm from,Canada, customs is the sow down but the slowdown up here is ridiculous. A postie told me that there are dozens of semies parked outside in the parking lot of Canada posts main depots.
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » February 15th 2021, 4:35pm

For some reason, we have a most excellent DMV here. Everything is done by mail and they are Johnny on the Spot when it comes to getting our tag stickers.

All of our mail gets routed to Birmingham; from there it goes to God knows where but usually it gets to where it is supposed.

Regarding watch purchases, all of mine have arrived in good time with no complaints.

I saw an episode of Top Gear where they raced the British mail against their car. Starting at Land's End in Cornwall, they sent a letter to an address in the Orkneys or at least the northern tip of Scotland. At the same time, they drove their car to that destination.

the Post won by a few hours. Pretty awesome.
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » February 16th 2021, 5:09am

Our USPS mail service has been very consistent.

The only really delayed package we experienced was an 8 day wait for one from the Chattanooga area to here ordered one week before Christmas. 125 miles +/-.

Other packages incoming might have taken 1-2 days longer, but outgoing regular mail was no issue based on the time it took for mailed checks to clear.
Randy in Nashville
majt

Post by majt » February 22nd 2021, 10:06am

this is fu..ed...ebay says they've seen worse but not by much...

February 20, 2021
In Transit to Next Facility
Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

February 16, 2021, 10:18 am
JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

February 16, 2021, 10:16 am
JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

DAYTON, NJ 08810

KEARNY, NJ 07099

DAYTON, NJ 08810
majt

Post by majt » February 26th 2021, 6:45pm

IMG-1555.jpg
six weeks to the day
IMG-1554.jpg
on a strap code oyster 6 weeks to the day
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » February 26th 2021, 11:51pm

Slow but sure--and it's wonderful!! Congrats--that's always been a favourite eye candy.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
studmuffin

Post by studmuffin » March 2nd 2021, 6:02pm

Received a Christmas card TODAY (Mar 2). Postmarked Dec 14, Phoenix, AZ. Don't know where it's been sitting. USPS closed our local distribution center. Now our mail has to go through Detroit (50 miles away) or Cleveland (100 miles away).

I do have a few minor complaints. I, too, have had items sit at a distribution site for a couple of days. What really ticked me off was I had a small pkg being delivered by USPS to my house. I made a point to clear my driveway, sidewalk, and porch so the delivery could be made. I track the pkg and the note said unable to access property. Total BS, I was out at 7 a.m. clearing snow. Plus I sat home all day waiting for delivery. It's just that these folks are so overworked now they can't keep up, especially since OT has been curtailed. We left a gift for our carrier at Christmas. Took her two days to pick it up.

Return to “General Watch talk”