Mu Du watch brand?

Watch Noob
Banned

Mu Du watch brand?

Post by Watch Noob » January 23rd 2021, 5:09pm

So I'm kicked back today watching a movie version of The Saint (Simon Templar) played by Roger Moore. This wasn't the TV series, but more of an actual movie version that was like 90 minutes long. Anyway, in the show one of the bad guys flashed a wrist shot of a watch with MU DU at the 12 o'clock position. I had to google it and found some info on the web saying it was Swiss Made and smuggled into the UK in the late 50's early 60's because of the high import fees on various items during that time.

Anyone have a MU DU? Or at least know more about this brand? I see some on the bay for sale. This just peaked my curiosity as I've never heard of them before.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Mu Du watch brand?

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » January 23rd 2021, 5:42pm

MuDu has been discussed on WUS vintage forum, and the general consensus seems to be that the story is true. The watches themselves were decent, equipped with proper, fully jewelled Swiss lever movements from suppliers like FHF. However, the distribution of them was very unofficial in its nature. Pubs, mostly.
The name comes from the surnames of the owners of the company behind MuDu (Brevinex SA), Muller and Dubach. Seems to be no trace of it earlier than the earliest trademark registration date, that being 1957.
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285

Return to “General Watch talk”