What watch started it all for you?

Watch Noob
Banned

What watch started it all for you?

Post by Watch Noob » January 17th 2021, 7:46am

So I'm going through some old pics and I come across the watch that started it all for me. This is what gave me the bug to start looking at watches. No it's not my first watch or even my 3rd or 4th, but this is the one that made me start looking at forums, researching, etc. Like many on here I was a former WG. Yes, I watched and purchased several watches from that place that had a tee-vee show with horological celebrities that have been discussed on here for many years.

Let's see which watch started it off for you. I've since sold this off years ago. Do you still have the one that started you off?

Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: What watch started it all for you?

Post by Thunder1 » January 17th 2021, 7:59am

For me, it was this Hammy Khaki chrono about 13 years ago..it was my 1st auto of my new collection..paid $499.00 for it from Overstock.com..has kept nearly perfect time over the years, and so I was hooked..I don't use it for around the casa chores anymore, though..it's been serviced and polished and justly awaits it's turn in the rotation..

I remember asking Rusty in a post on another forum(WTF) back then why the dial didn't say 'Swiss Made' on it..as the Hamilton forum moderator in those days, Rusty replied back that he thought it was because he thought the watch was assembled in the Phillippines...he doesn't remember that response, though..
Hamilton Khaki Chrono brwndial(1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » January 17th 2021, 9:06am

I had a friend in junior high whose father wore a root beer Rolex GMT. He left it on the kitchen counter when he'd come home from work. I can't tell you how many times I picked it up wishing it were mine.

In 1979, after graduation from college, I went to NYC for sales training for my first "real" job. In the Times Square area, there were several watch stores amongst the other business offering assorted adult entertainment options. I saw the Seiko chrono in several, and negotiated the price down to $140 or so if I recall. I wore that watch on my wedding day in 1982, and until about 1985 exclusively, when I bought my first Rolex.

The Seiko was stolen in 1986 or so when our house in Jacksonville, FL was burglarized.

I bought the identical replacement about 10 years ago, and had a mechanical and cosmetic overhaul done (the dial and hands were untouched) and added a Seiko bracelet (not the OEM fishbone style). It gets worn occasionally.
Randy in Nashville
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » January 17th 2021, 9:57am

Datsun240Z71 wrote:
January 17th 2021, 9:06am

I had a friend in junior high whose father wore a root beer Rolex GMT. He left it on the kitchen counter when he'd come home from work. I can't tell you how many times I picked it up wishing it were mine.

In 1979, after graduation from college, I went to NYC for sales training for my first "real" job. In the Times Square area, there were several watch stores amongst the other business offering assorted adult entertainment options. I saw the Seiko chrono in several, and negotiated the price down to $140 or so if I recall. I wore that watch on my wedding day in 1982, and until about 1985 exclusively, when I bought my first Rolex.

The Seiko was stolen in 1986 or so when our house in Jacksonville, FL was burglarized.

I bought the identical replacement about 10 years ago, and had a mechanical and cosmetic overhaul done (the dial and hands were untouched) and added a Seiko bracelet (not the OEM fishbone style). It gets worn occasionally.
It's a beaut..I've 2 of them!!..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
MKTheVintageBloke (Online)
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » January 17th 2021, 10:46am

I'm really not sure what was it for me. Can't really just point to one watch and say that that's the one that started it all. Could have been a quartz Timex chrono, which I got when I was 9 years old. Alas, I have lost it the year I got it. Reckon that's what happens when a 9 y.o. kid gets a watch. Needless to say that I wanted one of my own. Envied my father's Roamer SuperSlender quartz, and his favourite two-tone titanium Seiko quartz. Even more so, his Longines Flagship auto.

The first watch I bought - in my early teens - was a Timex as well. Then I've got my hands on two Soviet watches that used to belong to my great-grandfather, a Raketa and a Start. I suppose that's what sparked my interest in vintage stuff.

Of course, I had a daily beater, which served as such since I was, like, 14 years old, and it was this:
Needs a new battery, but more importantly, the crystal's cracked, and the strap needs to be changed. I haven't spared it - it's been a reliable companion in cycling, sailing, swimming (yeah, 30m WR, bad idea, I know, but it does deliver on the promise of keeping water out), binge drinking, whatever the fuck life could throw at me and it.

The first particularly "serious" watch I ever got - from my godmother, for my 18th birthday - was this, an Edox Les Vauberts Open Heart:

Then there was the first vintage watch I bought, a spot of luck with the 1939 Tissot at a flea market...

Then there were a few more vintage things, can't remember in what order.

Then there was my first buy of a vintage thing by a luxury brand...

Then - and in between - there was all the stuff that you already know.

Aaaand, well, here I am, I don't know which one started it, the result is what it is, I am where I am, I am what I am.
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » January 17th 2021, 12:51pm

I was working in Peace River at my brother's computer and music store, in 2008.

Someone came in to the store wearing a gorgeous Panerai Radiomir on a very vintage strap. It was the first time I'd ever seen one, and it grabbed my attention right away. Glancing down at the Timex Acqua I was wearing at the time, I thought "this is so boring. It's time for some looking around."

Changed my life.

Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » January 17th 2021, 1:18pm

I've never thought a man was properly dressed without a watch and a ring. Well Ive given up on the ring and dont wear one much anymore but watches, never .

One of the few things I inhereted from my Grandfather was a small gold, rectangular Glycine. Sadly lost it in the 80s.

Had a few nice watches along the way, a Breitling, a Rolex and a luminox. Still have 2 of those but what really got me interested in collecting was the forums after I had my quad bypass. I started out with an Invicta 9937 in 2006 and an Alpha Daytona and an Alpha GMT. 94 watches later here I am. Still have 20.

I keep good records so I can name them all, date bought, cost, date sold and price. Some I wish I had back. Has been a fun hobby.

Oh yeah, a Breitling gold Montbrillaint I saw in Nassau was what prompted me to look at watch forums in the first place so even though I never bought one it was probably the watch that got me here.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » January 17th 2021, 4:05pm

When I started working at a pharmaceutical lab I thought a watch would be useful to keep track of things. I hadn't worn a watch in decades. But at the lab we had to use certified timers to be in accordance with USP and FDA rules.

Left that job and started working at Marshall Space Flight Center. Since I was part of two groups and working in multiple buildings, I decided I needed a watch for real this time. My first project at work was concerned with validating some products so the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) could give them National Stock Numbers (NSN) so I got a watch with at least a NATO stock number; an Elliot Brown.

A bicycling forum that I frequent had a separate area for things like shoes, knives, whisky, and watches and that's where I saw my first SARB. That, and my purchase of a SARB033 brought me here to learn more.

edit: did it really take me 16 minutes to write this post? :roll:
jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » January 17th 2021, 5:56pm

A Raymond Weil W1 was my first 'interesting' watch. A Seiko 6139-7100 'White Helmet' I bought after university was the watch that started the collecting. No pictures because Photobucket is being a bitch now. What the fuck happened to the internet???
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » January 17th 2021, 9:26pm

I always wore a watch, but mostly drug store cheapies and later a Swatch. Then something changed it all.

I never really gave watches that much thought until the early '90s, when someone I was dating gifted me a Seiko Arctura Kinetic that I thought was cool looking. We got married a couple of years later. It was one of the early Kinetics and they were rolled out before the movements were perfected (accompanied by a shameful amount of false advertising), and most of them crapped out within a couple of years because of terrible capacitors - including mine. I have had the watch ever since, and have repaired it twice. It was the first watch that got me thinking about how watches ran, and even after all the angst over my one watch dying, it started me looking into better brands and better movements. This was the watch that started it all for me. I will never get rid of it. Tons of sentimental value.

jason_recliner (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by jason_recliner » January 17th 2021, 9:54pm

TemerityB wrote:
January 17th 2021, 9:26pm
I always wore a watch, but mostly drug store cheapies and later a Swatch. Then something changed it all.

I never really gave watches that much thought until the early '90s, when someone I was dating gifted me a Seiko Arctura Kinetic that I thought was cool looking. We got married a couple of years later. It was one of the early Kinetics and they were rolled out before the movements were perfected (accompanied by a shameful amount of false advertising), and most of them crapped out within a couple of years because of terrible capacitors - including mine. I have had the watch ever since, and have repaired it twice. It was the first watch that got me thinking about how watches ran, and even after all the angst over my one watch dying, it started me looking into better brands and better movements. This was the watch that started it all for me. I will never get rid of it. Tons of sentimental value.
That's really cool. I wish I still had my first good watch. Not sure if it's worth it to you, but I think some people have replaced the early kinetic capacitors with Li-ion cells.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » January 17th 2021, 10:25pm

jason_recliner wrote:
January 17th 2021, 9:54pm
TemerityB wrote:
January 17th 2021, 9:26pm

That's really cool. I wish I still had my first good watch. Not sure if it's worth it to you, but I think some people have replaced the early kinetic capacitors with Li-ion cells.
Oh, me too. There's a guy in NYC that does the job well and it's not nearly as expensive as it used to be.
Watch Noob
Banned

Post by Watch Noob » January 18th 2021, 5:24am

Good to see you guys jumping in on this thread. These are some great stories with some interesting time pieces that got you started.
With as huge as Swatch was back in the day, I'm a bit surprised we haven't heard anyone say that their brand was the starting point even though TB gives them a mention. Seiko was and is probably the most popular diving brand out there which probably started many on the "style" of watch I would think, I know they certainly had and still have an influence on me.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » January 18th 2021, 11:29am

Gift from my high school girlfriend for Xmas, 1986. She worked and bought it with her own money and it was not an inexpensive watch at that time. Think she paid close to $300 back in '86.

Seiko two-tone day-date quartz. Similar to this one:

3CDC607A-9116-48C8-B155-C108687D0A4C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » January 18th 2021, 11:48am

It was a Dubey & Schaldenbrand minute repeater I purchased in either Chile or Argentina.

Someone I flew with kept badgering me for it before I finally relented. ..... damn if I can find another one, anywhere.

"I’m picturing a guy in a helmet, trying to lick windows until the mailman stops by with a package. He takes the helmet off to admire his Invicta" - svaglic

3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 18th 2021, 1:05pm

circa 1954- Bulova 11ACA- 17 Jewels 18,000 BPH Automatic ---as I recall--- Still runs like a top at -5 to -8 seconds a day.

A birthday gift to my father from his father and passed on to me for my 10th birthday. It was my first 'real' watch and got the ball rolling, although my fascination with watches began when I was much younger during a trip with my dad to the watchmaker when I was barely half a flush.

^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
svaglic (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by svaglic » January 18th 2021, 7:10pm

Around 2003 or 4, I got this at TJ Max.

I lost it, I didn’t know if it was stolen from work or I misplaced it. It was misplaced for about nine years. I found it in one of my old USAR gear bags with old gear that didn’t meet NFPA anymore, wrapped up in an old pair of gloves.
Anyway, I went looking for it to replace it and found WatchGeeks then found Lords through them. I think my collection has come a long way.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Post by AntFarm » January 18th 2021, 8:25pm

This was the start of my collecting. My dad was a flight engineer for PAN AM and brought it back from Japan. It's A Seiko 6117-8000 Navigator. Of course I didn't get it until the late 80's. I still have it and still wear it.

This Tag was the first watch I bought myself. I believe it was right after HS. Crazy, I still had the original inner and outer boxes and paperwork at my mom's house. I've since sold it.

iwasbanned (Online)
Master of Time

Post by iwasbanned » January 18th 2021, 9:49pm

I've worn a watch for as long as I can remember. The Casio calculator watch being the primary watch for many years. Then I graduated college got a real job and had a little money. One night I was bored, my crappy current fashion watch had broken and I was looking for something new. I tried invicta and quickly learned they were shiat and watchgeeks was a cult.

Then I found this, it was this watch that sent me down this path. I thought it was crazy to buy a $500 watch, and had buyers remorse for days. It was also the start of telling my wife that all watches I buy are a couple of hundred bucks. When I received the watch, I fell in love, all remorse disappeared and I immediately started contemplating how to get my next fix... Watch I mean.

smellody (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by smellody » January 18th 2021, 10:53pm

Back to the SUBMARINER. Dad and I would go to Jafco on Mclaughlin Blvd. They carried Tudor and had coupons. Dad always wanted one, but couldn't afford it.

The summer after high school I worked my ass off and bought a 1680 from Watchwerks when it was a tiny window from a block from the Multnomah County Library.

That's about it. I love me some SUBMARINER. Best, most recognized watch next to a two-tone Datejust on the planet.

Return to “General Watch talk”