Steel as a precious metal

biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Steel as a precious metal

Post by biglove » December 29th 2020, 9:38pm

My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
bbattle (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Steel as a precious metal

Post by bbattle » December 30th 2020, 4:50pm

Where I work, we've got alloys that are super freakin' hard. I had to analyze some samples and the metal needed to be cut into tiny pieces so it would dissolve in acid. It took me a week using a diamond wheel saw to cut the stuff up and then several more days to dissolve the stuff. We ended up using some hydrofluoric acid to finish the job.

316L stainless by contrast is a walk in the park. And 316L makes mild steel look like butter.

904 is harder due to some extra molybdenum and copper added to the mix. A pain to machine but its a lot more resistant to salt water corrosion.
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » December 30th 2020, 4:57pm

^^^Cool!! Would love to see videos of that type of work.

What is the purpose of dissolving those steels? Color me intrigued.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
bbattle (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » December 31st 2020, 5:27am

We can analyze an alloy to determine its composition. How much nickel, copper, silicon, molybdenum, vanadium, chromium, etc. is in the alloy. That's to make sure it really is the alloy it is supposed to be.

The machine shop has a wire edm machine that cuts metal like a hot knife through butter.

list of youtube videos here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... nconel+718

And you might as well see some friction stir welding

biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » December 31st 2020, 8:50pm

Had no idea such machines/processes even existed.

Took.me down a tree rabbit trail of videos and info on alloys. Fun!

Return to “General Watch talk”