Bremont jumps the shark

bedlam (Online)
WIS Divemaster
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Bremont jumps the shark

Post by bedlam » November 17th 2020, 8:02pm

Its focus is fund raising for the Hawkings Institute, so the tie-in is not entirely gratuitous. It's not really the best way they could have done things though, and the putting bits of other things in their watch shtick is getting old.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » November 17th 2020, 8:07pm

^^^When I saw that the watches were going to include Hawking memorabilia, my first thought was, “Oh, God...they used the metal from his wheelchair...”
"When things are at their darkest, pal, it's a brave man that can kick back and party." - Lt. Tuck Pendleton, Innerspace
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » November 17th 2020, 8:24pm

biglove wrote:
November 17th 2020, 6:45pm
This shit is laughable...

https://www.bremont.com/collections/the ... collection
Full deep blue

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » November 18th 2020, 8:16am

A Stephen Hawking-inspired watch should have no dial at all. It should tell you the time in a completely emotion-free electronic voice.

As for that Bremont, looks a lot like the Tudor Glamour Big Date.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » November 18th 2020, 8:50am

Let me sit down and think about all this.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » November 18th 2020, 9:05am

biglove wrote:
November 17th 2020, 8:07pm
^^^When I saw that the watches were going to include Hawking memorabilia, my first thought was, “Oh, God...they used the metal from his wheelchair...”
They cut up the poor bastards desk for god's sake. With folks of Hawking's prominence, shit like that usually goes to the Smithsonian. The man had the greatest mind to break through since Einstein peggered. What's next, his papers recycled into limited edition toilet paper?

And while it is very nice indeed that money from every single watch is donated to Hawking's 501 3 (C) foundation, just lovely, I 'spose if I were inclined to support the Hawking Fund, why, I'd just match the 2 or $300 Bremont would give, take the tax deduction for myself, and then spend substantially less money on a much nicer watch. Perhaps I'd even buy one of those Bremont dive watches like Bedlam has, he seems to like it quite a bit, by golly.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » November 18th 2020, 9:58am

3Flushes wrote:
November 18th 2020, 9:05am
biglove wrote:
They cut up the poor bastards desk for god's sake.
I'm not standing for this, goddamn it!!
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » November 18th 2020, 11:16am

conjurer wrote:
November 18th 2020, 9:58am
3Flushes wrote:
biglove wrote:
We should do something I'm thinkin'. What are you thinkin' over there?

Maybe rub their nose in it good with a scathing meme. MARONE - look what's become of me. GODDAMN THIS STRUNZA VIRUS
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » November 18th 2020, 12:49pm

3Flushes wrote:
November 18th 2020, 11:16am
conjurer wrote:
3Flushes wrote:
biglove wrote:

Maybe rub their nose in it good with a scathing meme. MARONE - look what's become of me. GODDAMN THIS STRUNZA VIRUS
I was making a joke about Stephen Hawking being a cripple, for fuck's sakes!!
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » November 18th 2020, 1:27pm

conjurer wrote:
November 18th 2020, 12:49pm
3Flushes wrote:
conjurer wrote:
3Flushes wrote:
biglove wrote:

Oh, uhh, that's funny alright. Sorry. I guess I have a little touch of the PFS. But it was the man's desk for god's sake. You don't do that to a man's goddam desk. That's the sort'a thing you do, when you're all twisted up over an indecency, to a man's joke but I would never butcher your fucking desk. And I know you have a cool one and I would be honored to have it when you pegger if I'm still alive which I doubt I will be.

Why, I have left my desk and credenza and book cases, and leather upholstered antique 3/4 back manager's chair to a young family member at his request. He might even kill me for it, we'll see how things turn out with his little meth slamming and booty bumping problem, but at least he will use it all in the lovely study of the townhouse his parents are currently renting out until he's old enough to get him the fuck away from them, uhh, to give it to, that is. I'm sure one of the Hawkings would have been honored to have a man like Steve's.

And with all of the students at home and people working from home making a desk shortage- STUDENTS HAVE TO EAT AND STUDY AT THE SAME FUCKING TABLE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD you don't just JESUSHCHRIST cut up a goddamn desk. Maybe they should have just made his casket out of it. It couldn't have required a very big box. SONOFABITCHES
Last edited by 3Flushes on November 18th 2020, 2:45pm, edited 3 times in total.
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » November 18th 2020, 2:21pm

3Flushes wrote:
November 18th 2020, 1:27pm
conjurer wrote:
3Flushes wrote:
conjurer wrote:
3Flushes wrote:
biglove wrote:

Oh, uhh, that's funny alright. Sorry. I guess I have a little touch of the PFS. But it was the man's desk for god's sake. You don't do that to a man's goddam desk. That's the sort'a thing you do, when you're all twisted up over an indecency, to a man's joke but I would never butcher your fucking desk. And I know you have a cool one and I would be honored to have it when you pegger if I'm still alive which I doubt I will be.

Why, I have left my desk and credenza and book cases, and leather upholstered antique 3/4 back manager's chair to a young family member at his request. He might even kill me for it, we'll see how things turn out with his little meth slamming and booty bumping problem, but at least he will use it all in the lovely study of the townhouse his parents are currently renting out until he's old enough to get him the fuck away from them, uhh, to give it to, that is. I'm sure one of the Hawkings would have been honored to have a man like Steve's.

And with all of the students at home and people working from home making a desk shortage- STUDENTS HAVE TO EAT AND STUDY AT THE SAME FUCKING TABLE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD you don't just JESUSHCHRIST cut up a goddamn desk. Maybe they should have just made his casket out of it. It couldn't have required a very big box. SONOFABITCHES
Well ranted, you dizzy fuck.
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » November 18th 2020, 4:31pm

Looking at the size of the wooden circles, and the fact they are only making 584 of these "things", I'm inclined to think Tim Hawking needed some money and offered a piece of the bottom of one of the drawers of a desk that was probably slowly rotting away in the garage or storage shed. And Bremont is donating money to fund research into the disease that Hawking had. Apparently, none of Hawking's relatives wanted the desk, which may or may not have been a prized, treasured possession. Or whomever had it got tired of it and was delighted to be able to unload it for cash. Who knows? (besides the Shadow, of course)

I wonder how many of these watches have been pre-sold to physicists and astronomers already?
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » November 19th 2020, 10:33am

conjurer wrote:
November 18th 2020, 2:21pm
3Flushes wrote:
November 18th 2020, 1:27pm
conjurer wrote:
3Flushes wrote:
conjurer wrote:
3Flushes wrote:
biglove wrote:

Well ranted, you dizzy fuck.
Thanks... I'm okay over here, now; a little Xanax and perspective can do wonders during these most trying and difficult times; you reached out just in time, you have no idea how close I was to unleashing those memes, my friend. There's some actions in this life that just can't be taken back. Thanks.

Even my attitude on the road is better which is good because like a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher, a good driver attitude is mandatory safety equipment for all vehicles here because you never saw people, allegedly people behind the wheel, which I say allegedly people beCAUSE THE FUCKING BLACK ANGUS CATTLE IN THIS STATE COULD DRIVE A MOTOR VEHICLE BETTER THAN THE GODDAMN NEANDERTHALS ON THE ROAD HERE THAT'S WHY. ON THE HOOF EVEN, HALF OF THEM. I SEE SHIT HERE IN TRAFFIC EVERY EIGHTH OF A MILE I CAN'T FUCKING BELIEVE I JUST SAW. DRIVING IN MOTHERFUCKING TIJUANA DURING BAR RUSH ON CINCO DE MAYO IS LESS NERVE SHATTERING THAN TRYING TO DRIVE HERE IN THE SNOW but Colorado being an armed and therefore polite society, I've learned to just keep it all inside, the passenger compartment, that is.
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » November 19th 2020, 4:24pm

I can't believe Colorado drivers are as bad as North Alabama drivers in the snow.

Half of them freak out at the sight of a single snowflake and drive slower than grandma in her Lincoln and the other half drive like their Korean grandma on speed.

Worse, we tend to get ice storms and NOBODY can drive on ice except for the zamboni but that doesn't stop these 4WD owners from getting out and proving me right; every single time.

And then Bremont went and chainsawed a crippled man's desk in order to peddle a few watches that only the very geekiest of physicists would ever dream of owning.

What's next? I say Invickter does a John Holmes homage. 65mm in diameter and 170mm lug to lug, this watch will have a tiny vial of the human tripod's very own splooge and a caseback of leather from chaps worn by the man himself. Complete with cables, chains and a diamond encrusted bezel and it's very own blacklight to keep the lume charged and ready for visiting those dark strip clubs.

Return to “General Watch talk”