5 mistakes I have made on my watch-collecting

koimaster
Founder

5 mistakes I have made on my watch-collecting

Post by koimaster » August 22nd 2020, 2:25pm

Although I have not been collecting for decades, over the past five years or so I have definitely gained a lot of insight, through trial and error, on some best practices if one is going to go down the rabbit hole of watch collecting. As John Mayer points out in the first-ever Talking Watches with Hodinkee, the first watches (in his case, 10-12) one buys will not reflect your collecting values as you progress in the hobby, and it’s inevitable to have regrets and make mistakes along the way. Here are five lessons I’ve learned during my own watch-collecting journey …

https://timeandtidewatches.com/5-mistak ... ollecting/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: 5 mistakes I have made on my watch-collecting

Post by TemerityB » August 22nd 2020, 3:06pm

Don’t pick your watch dealer, whether new or second hand, based on the cost, but rather the capacity to service.

Bingo.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
MAX (Online)
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » August 23rd 2020, 3:57am

Yeah, you have to "press the flesh" to really know what a watch is like. Ive bought quite a few from pictures and the real thing so far has exceeded my expectation. Im sure it can easily be the other way around.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » August 23rd 2020, 4:19pm

I'm still stuck in the "Wow! Every watch I see is sooo cool looking! I want to buy them all," stage.

For sure, I'll simmer down and focus on what I REALLY like but in the meantime, bring on the bacon! I've been through this rodeo with coins and bicycles and high end audio equipment.

Once I get to that particular stage where I need to worry about servicing my watches, I'll check out the local AD. They advertise a surprising amount on the billboards along the Parkway.
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » August 24th 2020, 2:18pm

Most of that seems pretty sound. Certainly better than the Donkeys' "Twelve Mistakes..." fucking loads of pish and bollocks.
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » August 25th 2020, 6:34pm

The other thing I see is people thinking good specs make a good watch.

Having good components is desirable but the best watches will punch above their individual parts.
Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.

Return to “General Watch talk”