Learning To Service Your Own Watch?

TemerityB (Online)
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Learning To Service Your Own Watch?

Post by TemerityB » August 21st 2020, 10:29am

From Quill & Pad:

https://quillandpad.com/2020/07/30/zen- ... own-watch/

In an article published by Quill & Pad in 2015 – Here’s Why You Should Learn To Service Your Own Watch– fellow contributor Joshua Munchow incurred the wrath of watchmakers and haute horlogerie enthusiasts alike by suggesting that you can learn to service your own watch if you set your mind to it, thereby acquiring a fascinating new life skill and saving yourself a fortune in watchmakers’ fees at the same time.

The NAWCC (National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors) in Pennsylvania runs regular courses on how to service a watch

A few lengthy, irate rants were left in the comments section, pointing out the years of study it takes to learn watchmaking to the level required to service a watch; others mentioned the substantial investment required to acquire the necessary tools and the fact that in an entry assessment held by Patek Philippe in New York, only six out of 300 applicants were considered to have the skills and temperament required to become what the company deems to be a competent watchmaker.

Joshua’s fatal error, if I may use that expression, was to include the words “tinkering” and “garage” in the same sentence as “your late-model IWC.”

Many of these commenters appeared to have given up reading the article halfway through and reached for their favorite green-ink ballpoint pen in a fit of horological apoplexy, apparently missing the various caveats and recommendations with which Joshua ended the article.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
svaglic (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Learning To Service Your Own Watch?

Post by svaglic » August 21st 2020, 10:38am

I am always in awe of those who can service their own watch. I don’t have the patience. A year ago, I took some junk watches apart and set them aside when my eyes got tired. I figured I’d go back to it when the mood hit me. It ain’t hit yet, I boxed those watches up and put them away.
You can have brains or you can have beauty, but you can’t have all three.
TemerityB (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » August 21st 2020, 2:47pm

biglove wrote:
August 21st 2020, 1:05pm
I think that with the right tools and good enough eyesight, any of us could learn to do it. Like Svaglic, I lack the patience.
I have the patience. I don't know if my hands are steady enough. I would try watchmakers' school in a moment if I thought I could do it. I think my fingers just aren't nimble to the degree they'd need to be.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » August 21st 2020, 3:13pm

TemerityB wrote:
August 21st 2020, 2:47pm
biglove wrote:
August 21st 2020, 1:05pm
I think that with the right tools and good enough eyesight, any of us could learn to do it. Like Svaglic, I lack the patience.
I have the patience. I don't know if my hands are steady enough. I would try watchmakers' school in a moment if I thought I could do it. I think my fingers just aren't nimble to the degree they'd need to be.
The key is to smoke enough of the devil’s lettuce to limber you up. That’s how I will become watchmaker to the stars when I retire. 😋
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe

Return to “General Watch talk”