king of homage watches

koimaster
Founder

king of homage watches

Post by koimaster » August 9th 2020, 3:27pm

The curious case of the Gevril Tribeca: 5 reasons why it is the king of homage watches

Homage watches within the enthusiast community can be quite a contentious topic at times. Are they rip-offs? Cash cows? Sell-outs? Unoriginal? The reality is opinions can vary, but the true metric or equaliser of any watch to an extent is how they perform on the grey or second-hand market. While the objective of most homage watches is to supply a mass-produced low-cost alternative to widely renowned designs, the Gevril Tribeca has established itself as the textbook example of how to release an homage watch.

The watch is so desirable that it now sells at practically three times or more its final retail price of $2900. The last watches sold at retail were in 2018 when Revolution sourced 67 NOS watches that had yet to be assembled from Gevril. A year later, at Christie’s (in an online auction in partnership with The Keystone), one was sold without box and papers for $9375! So, what makes this watch the king of homage? Let’s explore the curious case of the Gevril Tribeca…

https://timeandtidewatches.com/curious- ... e-watches/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
labman
Watchlord WIS

Re: king of homage watches

Post by labman » August 9th 2020, 8:08pm

As close as that is to the "original", to me it is a blatant copy.

If Invicta was the brand (and calling Invicta a brand is being quite liberal) instead of Gevril watch enthusiasts would be up in arms over the blatant copy/homage/replica.

Not defending Invicta in any way - but the Gevril is almost an absolute copy of the Rolex IMO

Just my 2 cents (a good looking watch though but not 9K+ worth for a copy)
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » August 9th 2020, 8:49pm

labman wrote:
August 9th 2020, 8:08pm
As close as that is to the "original", to me it is a blatant copy.

If Invicta was the brand (and calling Invicta a brand is being quite liberal) instead of Gevril watch enthusiasts would be up in arms over the blatant copy/homage/replica.

Not defending Invicta in any way - but the Gevril is almost an absolute copy of the Rolex IMO

Just my 2 cents (a good looking watch though but not 9K+ worth for a copy)
^^^^^^^^^

$k@@

Like!

**(@ :mrgreen:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
MKTheVintageBloke (Online)
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » August 10th 2020, 3:51pm

If someone's after a PND hommidge, Steinhart has a decent one:
https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/chro ... -1262.html

Timefactors also happens to make one, under the Smiths branding:
https://www.timefactors.com/prs32.htm
...which, given the Seiko movement, might actually be way better than the Steinhart or the Gevril.

These are blatant copies alright, all of them. T+T wanking to the Gevril seems idiotic. Anyway, could anyone please tell me just what the fuck is Gevril?
You cannot explain away a wantonly immoral act, because you think that it is connected to some higher purpose.
Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » August 10th 2020, 7:13pm

I have nothing against Gevril - after all, Steven Jay worked there - but I'm sitting here just knowing this is the first time I've ever seen the words "Gevril" and "collectors" in the same sentence.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » August 10th 2020, 7:47pm

TemerityB wrote:
August 10th 2020, 7:13pm
I have nothing against Gevril - after all, Steven Jay worked there - but I'm sitting here just knowing this is the first time I've ever seen the words "Gevril" and "collectors" in the same sentence.
Indeed. There seem to have been a small handful of Gevril watches, back in the early days (2005-2010, maybe) that weren't bad, with some being very nice; then, under the unswerving helm of the Mephistophelian Steven Jay, everything seemed to come off the rails. Jay, with the death-like reek of the Merm surrounding him, cannot be thought of as a guy working for a serious watch company.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » August 10th 2020, 8:12pm

The article makes an excellent point: For shits and giggles Alpha makes a fun and reliable rip-off... column-wheel exhibition caseback and all,,,
F037584C-204F-4E1A-9B67-A67DCD590410.jpeg
D26BBD83-FB28-4F7A-969B-8E7F2B4FD44F.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AlbertaTime (Online)
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » August 13th 2020, 9:50pm

No.

The real *King of Homage Watches" is a person, a real live person. His name is Reno, he's from France, and he's a very nice guy and a skilled photographer. His homage collection is a treat. Most of this list are his...a couple of pages...

https://www.watchuseek.com/forums/image-gallery.101/
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
codguy
ASSHAT

Post by codguy » August 14th 2020, 4:56am

I don't care fot the looks of the op watch, wouldn't purchase one for even $1k. Just doesn't do anything for me in the looks department.

A lot of angst against Gevril on this forum, been that way during the short time I've been here.

That said, here is my one and only Gevril, a Armand Nicolet manufactured wartch. Eta/Dubois-Depraz automatic Seacloud #040/500

-----> The best part is it ^ isn't adorn with toilets, Snoopy or any other cartoon characters.

AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Post by AntFarm » August 14th 2020, 8:14am

There were a few GV2's I liked many, many years ago, I hate to admit but my 3T days, but never bought for one reason or another. If those Paul Newman's are trading at 9k you can pick one u for a steal right here... I wouldn't do it

https://www.chrono24.com/gevril/index.htm#gref

Return to “General Watch talk”