The 10 most iconic men’s watches

koimaster
Founder

The 10 most iconic men’s watches

Post by koimaster » August 1st 2020, 5:09am

Time is a cruel mistress — something watch collectors are presumably more aware of than most. As fads flit by, and fashions come and go, these enthusiasts can only stare on helplessly as their once-prized timepieces tick out of favour; depreciating drastically as they go. And there’s nothing they can do about it.

Of course, if they’d acted pre-emptively, they wouldn’t be in this mess to begin with. Finding a timeless timepiece is a tricky business, but there are icons in the watch world that promise never to go out of style. So, next time you consider adding the latest colourful craze to your collection, perhaps opt for one of the following instead…

https://www.thegentlemansjournal.com/mo ... s-10-best/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: The 10 most iconic men’s watches

Post by TemerityB » August 1st 2020, 5:39pm

Shoot. I had a probably not-all-that hilarious punchline for this one, but then I looked at the article and realized I agreed with many of the choices.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
franklin

Post by franklin » August 2nd 2020, 1:13am

Each to his own taste -- which is a good feature of this hobby.

The underlying intention of the article (and there will have been one) is not clear to me.

However, we probably have members who have pretty much all of those suggestions in their personal watch boxes -- just as we have members who have none.

Suggesting one piece from each of the members of the "trinity+1", a JLC, an Omega, and a Rolex, plus three slight, but still very mainstream, outliers seems to me to reflect laziness and minimal research. I don't like to cast aspersions, but this treatise probably occupied Mr Wells for the best part of a morning.
Audemars Piguet, Benzinger, Dornblüth, Glashütte Original (x3), Meistersinger, Moritz Grossmann (x3), Moser, Nomos, Rolex, Stowa, Zenith.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye » August 3rd 2020, 1:18pm

When I start my collection again, I am going with quality over quantity. It’s better to have 5 excellent watches then 50 invictas...that’s just my humble opinion
This was taken in the summer of 1987 on shellback day, this is on the equator in the Indian Ocean,I am the one with shirt unbuttoned in the middle
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » August 3rd 2020, 9:03pm

hootchlid wrote:
August 3rd 2020, 1:18pm
When I start my collection again, I am going with quality over quantity. It’s better to have 5 excellent watches then 50 invictas...that’s just my humble opinion
Right on the money.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster

Return to “General Watch talk”