Watch Collecting Regrets?

koimaster
Founder

Watch Collecting Regrets?

Post by koimaster » July 26th 2020, 2:34pm

As the “resident collector” here at Quill & Pad, it’s my job to bring the perspective of someone who, like other enthusiast collectors, has to make some very practical choices about what watches to buy, not buy, and sell in order to scratch the collecting itch and fulfill certain ownership goals without completely blowing past the total spending on watches that I can afford.

You can like everything, but you can’t buy – or keep – everything!

Inevitably, the choices involved lead at times to regrets; along with many of my pals, the sadness is much more often about pieces we sold too soon or failed to buy rather than pieces we are sorry about buying in the first place (although there are a few “what was I thinking” buying moments for all of us, I am sure).

https://quillandpad.com/2020/07/25/watc ... reprise-2/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Watch Collecting Regrets?

Post by bbattle » July 26th 2020, 5:15pm

The usual regrets; bought too much junk that was later sold or given away for a big loss. Bought on impulse and the thrill just wasn't there and so a collection of dust collectors was born. Didn't pull the trigger on that grail; timing just wasn't right. Discovered nobody I knew cared the slightest about my new hobby, especially She Who Must Be Obeyed.
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » July 27th 2020, 3:58am

Take almost as much time to put together the list of regrets as I have spent collecting.

Biggest one I can remember is not buying a brand new Rolex Sub in 1988 for $1,800 when I had the cash.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 27th 2020, 5:59pm

I have a few old watches I will soon either give away, pitch, or sell - but I really don't have any regrets. It's a hobby. It's supposed to be fun. As much as I strive to learn and have fun, I'm also not gonna get all angsty about it all. I have too much real stuff to dwell on.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster

Return to “General Watch talk”