Classic watch brand names

Darksider
Founder
Facebook ID: 0

Classic watch brand names

Post by Darksider » July 12th 2020, 11:34pm

Ever wonder how watches got their names? A few weeks ago we told you about the brand names and their origin. Today we’re going to look at the watch model names. With hundreds of past and present watches, what has been the inspiration for watchmakers and brands to call them certain names? Some are pretty straight forward, other more obscure. Finding a great name is not an easy task and is often essential to the success of a new watch. It needs to fit within the brand’s universe, while also telling its own story. It needs to be relevant, easily pronounceable, memorable and discoverable (in particular for internet search engines today). Ideally this shall be valid in different languages and for different cultures. Lastly, with the purpose of legally protecting the product’s name with a trademark application in class 14 (which includes jewellery and watches), brands need to make sure there is no infringement of an existing trademark. Monochrome looks at the back stories of some familiar watch names, often born before marketing was theorized.

https://monochrome-watches.com/where-do ... come-from/

https://monochrome-watches.com/name-fav ... ands-come/

Quotes from the fake naval aviator misterjingles. Not a pilot, or 9/11 survivor.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Classic watch brand names

Post by TemerityB » July 13th 2020, 5:09pm

bbattle wrote:
July 13th 2020, 3:32pm
I would like to know how a Chinese watchmaker decided upon the name San Martin.

I'd like to know how a design ripoff mill from Brooklyn that slaps together their watches in China came up with the brand name Stuhrling Original.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » July 14th 2020, 11:03am

So many of the Chinese brands have names that are seemingly just a random combination of letters. Makes you wonder why they chose that particular combination and what they think it means or what the message is that it is supposed to convey. I guess it's that inscrutable thing....
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS

Post by bbattle » July 14th 2020, 3:03pm

Stürhling Original is anything but original.

All the Chinese restaurants around here and pretty much everywhere else I've been, have names like Golden Dragon and Lucky Panda. I've never seen a Chinese restaurant named "Jin Chiu's" or even "Peace and Tranquility" 太平.

I suppose they think Westerners must have Western names for their Chinese watches but if the watch is good, I don't care what the name is; unless it is "sleeps with whales" or some such.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » July 14th 2020, 8:36pm

Wow, the Royal Oak is named after a tree.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster

Return to “General Watch talk”