Watchlords Forum at 11 years old -updated

koimaster
Founder

Watchlords Forum at 11 years old -updated

Post by koimaster » December 13th 2019, 1:28pm

Monday the 16th marks the 11th anniversary of the founding of the Watchlords Forum. For the first few months we only had the founding members here and they were taking chances being here. The now dead watchgeeks forum and their owners banned anyone found at this site or at another forum which is on life support started by Darth Neo. Apparently Watchlords and the other site were a threat to the members at Watchgeeks who actually wanted to learn something about watches, not just hoard them. Watchgeeks had “spies” watching for user names and the infamous “grumpy user” hack which was meant to dissuade errant members who failed to follow the party line.

Well, 11 years later this forum is still here thanks to the members who contribute time, money and information here. Watchgeeks, watchbros, Horology guild and a couple of others are gone. Watchtalkforums is on life support, watchfreeks is not much better, being more of a sales site in my opinion. Facebook had become the platform of choice for watch folks these days, leaving forums like this to stay relevant in this day of social media and instant gratification.

What I see as a member of some groups at facebook is that they are focused on one brand, one topic or one preference such as Hamilton or a vintage art deco group. There is nothing wrong with that, but I think that folks miss out on the relationships you make of forums and the topics which are varied and can pique your interest in another direction. But there is room for everyone as well as the multiple means of social relationships.

Over the years this forum has donated thousands of dollars to charities raised by auctions of the personal watches of the members. We have lost members and we have helped each other out in times of need. I do not believe any other forum on the net has done what we have done or done as well. A couple of forums have raised funds for a sick member here and there, following our lead. A couple even raised funds for Virgin Airline fund raiser, but none have compared to what we do here.

Over the last 10 years I have met probably a couple of dozen members, current and past and have always enjoyed the interaction with them. When I was injured in 2014 and MIA for some time, it was the members that took care of this forum, proving that the forum is not dependent on one person but a living site as it was meant to be from the beginning. Over the years fraud in the industry has been exposed and it continues with “bring a brain” and other posts by members here. Members like TemerityB, conjurer and others continue to expose the fraud that old folks like Foghorn, Boscoe, Max, Dan and myself started doing 15 years or more ago.

Invicta watch group now has to list the movement country of origin rather than saying “swiss Made” and leaving it that, which mislead customers as well as having been named as a counterfeiter by the Swiss Federation. And in my humble opinion, Invicta watches are still shit but opinions may vary.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bremont Supermarine 500 clone

:corona gorda:

:slap: :slap:

Swiss watch International is closed down, World of Watches TV and the shills they had, A nobody and Wiley are gone as well. Renato is deader than a door nail, TAW, the watch show everyone wanted, a blip at Facebook. We have gone from branding "made in China" as proof that a watch was cheap garbage to purchasing them as a normal part of collecting.

ImageImage

The slowpos/ala baby jesus, mad Hungarians and fake naval aviators are no where to be found on this site anymore. Good riddance to rubbish although it takes time to root them out. We have gone form being hosted on forumotion when we began to now being on our own VPS server which hosts The forum.

Was it worth it to me to have gone through all of the crap over the years, hell yes! Watchlords in my opinion is a place where people can be themselves, can post honestly about a watch or company without being warned or a thread being locked. The honesty of thought and speech with free discussions on horology was the premise of the founding of Watchlords. It will continue to be what this forum is about.

We have had our trolls over the years, some hiding in plain site (misterjingles) and differences about watches, politics and even how to cook a steak but we still manage to get a long most of the time.
Over the years members have come and gone but almost all still find their way back like noob, who is a founding member being a recent example of that. This forum runs itself which became apparent during the time I was recovering from injuries back in 2014-2015. I do not know of another forum which can do that.

Thanks to our members, past, present and those who have moved past worldly concerns for a great 11 years.

:lultz:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Watchlords Forum at 10 years old

Post by AlbertaTime » December 13th 2019, 1:44pm

Huge gratitude to you and all members here, Alain. This is my favourite forum, and it's what I consider my "home" forum.

Just: thank you.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
Thunder1 (Online)
Senior Member & WIS

Post by Thunder1 » December 13th 2019, 2:13pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
December 13th 2019, 1:44pm
Huge gratitude to you and all members here, Alain. This is my favourite forum, and it's what I consider my "home" forum.

Just: thank you.
Same here..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
biglove (Online)
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » December 13th 2019, 5:01pm

This is my internet home, not just for the hobby but for most interactions that don’t involve my kids or coworkers.

A shining light to guide those new to the hobby and to continue all of our educations.

An eclectic group of collectors with different backgrounds, nationalities, religions and professions. Some wealthy, some not but all appreciate our shared collection and enthusiasm for watches, knowledge, rooting out grifters and lies, caring for and checking on others, doing the right thing for various charities. And we love our animals and families here.

We are the Lords, this is our home and I am grateful for this place and all here.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » December 13th 2019, 5:32pm

It has been 7 years for me as of last month. It was true the day I started, and it's true now; the joint's more fun than a human being should be allowed to have--- because there's not a better group of people on the web.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » December 13th 2019, 7:46pm

10 years old!? That explains why we all like fart jokes...
“Could somebody please let me know what the fuck is going on here?? It's like walking into the local Safeway to do some grocery shopping and finding a bunch of ghey midgets cornholing each other in the produce department.” - Conjurer

conjurer (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by conjurer » December 13th 2019, 9:47pm

Ten fucking years. Think of that. In this day and age, that's a fucking lifetime.

While we continue to break each other's balls with abandon, there's no place like home, and this is my home on the web. Well, here and xhamster, but I'm trying to make a fucking point here. This is my home in all things that don't involve jacking off to old Aunt Peg videos.

At the end of the day, there we will be, on our deathbeds, and one of the things we can all say is, I tried to be a good man, and support my family, and be a good citizen, and a good American... And, also, I was a Lord. And that's all that needs to be said.
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » December 14th 2019, 7:13am

Lordy, Lordy, I missed this anniversary yesterday. Guess Ill have to catch the next one in ten more years.
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » December 14th 2019, 3:29pm

It's been almost three years since I've been here. And I reckon all of that time I have enjoyed it - getting the laughs and writing so that others may get theirs, learning and sharing what I know. The fine folks here have been there for me when I was going through some pretty bad times, and I can only hope that I have sufficiently been giving the same in return.

I'll have me a glass of Wild Turkey in honour of this place, and of all those who make it the community that it is. And then I'll carry on as I was, for as long as there's all the Invicters and Donkeys to expose, a Watchlord's work is never done.
I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst.
Elim Garak, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

No good deed ever goes unpunished.
Rule of Acquisition no.285
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Post by AlbertaTime » December 14th 2019, 4:28pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
December 14th 2019, 3:29pm
I'll have me a glass of Wild Turkey in honour of this place...
Don't got none, but I'll match you with a glass of Gujinggong Jiu, and a nod to all!
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS

Post by Nuvolari » December 14th 2019, 4:38pm

conjurer wrote:
December 13th 2019, 9:47pm

...I tried to be a good man, and support my family, and be a good citizen, and a good American... And, also, I was a Lord. And that's all that needs to be said.
Excellent. Though, I do like the idea of adding the suffix, “But, damn it, I TOLD you I was sick!”
“Could somebody please let me know what the fuck is going on here?? It's like walking into the local Safeway to do some grocery shopping and finding a bunch of ghey midgets cornholing each other in the produce department.” - Conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Post by gerdson » December 15th 2019, 7:30am

The bestest forum ever!
Thanks a lot, Alain, and I am very grateful for being allowed to spend my time here with all the "haters".
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Return to “General Watch talk”