Forgotten Watchmakers You Should Know

Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Forgotten Watchmakers You Should Know

Post by Racer-X » May 23rd 2019, 1:47am

"Brand names like Rolex, Patek, Audemars Piguet and Omega dominate the headspace of vintage watch collectors not only due to their exceptional quality, but also because of their historical significance. These are names that have been around for decades, and in some cases, for centuries; they’ve come to help define what the watch industry is today.

But these legacy brands aren’t the exclusive purveyors of significant, lust-worthy vintage watches. Before the quartz crisis of the 1970s and ’80s, there were dozens of other watchmakers out there producing exceptional timepieces. Though most of them were victims of a seismic shift in timekeeping technology, their watches are worth collecting."

https://gearpatrol.com/2019/05/11/forgotten-watch-brands-collectors-will-love/

TemerityB
ASSHAT
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Forgotten Watchmakers You Should Know

Post by TemerityB » May 26th 2019, 7:39pm

foghorn wrote:
watcheronthewall wrote:Criminal that Gallet didn't make the list.

Super cool post!!

Yes, indeed. Best part for me is that the stuff I thought might be included (Elgin, Gruen, etc) were. Good info. I also had no idea that Universal Geneve hadn't issued a watch in 10 years.
Someone told me years ago that you never see a hearse being followed by an armored car. - Datsun240Z71
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Forgotten Watchmakers You Should Know

Post by MKTheVintageBloke » May 26th 2019, 10:37pm

The Gruen chrono they've used as an example is a redial. An absolutely dreadful redial, to be precise.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
H.P. Lovecraft

I'd send them all an animated gif of Ron Jeremy sucking his own cock.
Conjurer, of people asking about their Doxas

Return to “General Watch talk”