Watch Battery Advice: Sony Silver Oxide

SynMike
Founding Member
Facebook ID: 0

Watch Battery Advice: Sony Silver Oxide

Post by SynMike » April 29th 2018, 12:00am

I work at a watch store 1 day a week. One of my closest friends bought the store and I'm partnering with him on other ventures. So I've worked there one day a week since November. It's a busy store. I change 40-60 watch batteries in a day working there, while selling watches, taking in jewelry repairs, etc. He has the store up an running well and probably won't need my help much longer. Anyway, to the point...

We recommend and use Sony silver oxide batteries, made in Japan.

Our watch maker with 40 years experience says Sony are his preferred choice. He has seen many watches with damage from batteries. When a watch comes in with a leaking battery it is often a (Swiss made) Renata. Also, don't bother with alkaline, they don't last.

There are exceptions: Many sport watches like G-Shocks and Timex use the bigger CR coin size batteries with lithium instead of silver oxide. No problems with lithium. But again, selecting Sony is a good idea.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Watch Battery Advice: Sony Silver Oxide

Post by Racer-X » April 29th 2018, 4:17am

I appreciate this, Mike. I used to use Renata until I read a forum post from a watchmaker who said the same, but he recommended Energizer, which I have been using since.

The only issue is Energizer combines some sizes, which makes for a less than perfect fit occasionally.

Where do you buy the Sony batteries? Esslinger doesn’t carry them.
bedlam
WIS Divemaster

Post by bedlam » April 29th 2018, 4:50am

Agree with the Sony recommendation for button batteries.

If you use rechargables (AA, AAA) then I highly recommend Panasonic ENELOOP. I run my camera and flash equipment, dive torches, etc on them exclusively.

https://metaefficient.com/rechargeable- ... rgers.html

Meritocracy: the privilege, wealth and advancement of those who chose their parents wisely.
MAX
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by MAX » April 29th 2018, 7:50am

No problem with Renata when I have used them but I found Energizers to be the best. Ill give Sony a shot, thanks.

Best place Ive found to buy batteries on line, swatchbattery.com
NRPI here.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”
SynMike
Founding Member

Post by SynMike » April 29th 2018, 1:24pm

No problems with Energizer that I know of. They are probably similar quality to Sony. We occasionally get them from a local supplier when we run out of Sonys and are waiting for a shipment. But they cost more than our source for Sony batteries.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » April 29th 2018, 3:55pm

Racer-X wrote:
biglove wrote:Appreciate the tip. Have used both Sony and Energizer for watches and buy all mine through Amazon. $5 or less for 5 batteries vs $4+ for a single battery locally.

If those are third-party sellers, I'd be concerned about fakes.

Third party seller with 100% positive with over 26,000 reviews in the last 12 months. 99% positive with over 281,000 sales in their lifetime on Amazon. So far, so good. "MYBATTERYSUPPLIER."

Good point though.
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » April 29th 2018, 5:40pm

biglove wrote:
Third party seller with 100% positive with over 26,000 reviews in the last 12 months. 99% positive with over 281,000 sales in their lifetime on Amazon. So far, so good. "MYBATTERYSUPPLIER."

Good point though.

MBS is 100 percent real stuff. No question about it; my preferred source as well. They're less expensive because they sell the blister packs intended to be sold at wholesale.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster

Return to “General Watch talk”