So who owns a quartz watch?

User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 31844
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: So who owns a quartz watch?ua

Post by conjurer » April 24th 2018, 10:43pm

koimaster wrote:
foghorn wrote:
What's wrong with Fossils?



Well your wife must like them since she keeps you around. :mrgreen:


Goddamn, what a ball buster!!
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
User avatar
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 8490
Joined: November 25th 2012, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Contact:

Re: So who owns a quartz watch?

Post by 3Flushes » April 25th 2018, 3:46am

I have held onto most of my quartz watches which are primarily complicated chronographs- ETA 251.xxx and 252.xxx are the most fun, but I have most of the ETA's worth a shit- no G-10's and like that (min cost for me to collect is $17.00), not that there's anything wrong with them. A couple favorites: A few classic CD's (my favorite is the Birds of Prey Warhawk Missile Mission Commander 100 XL :mrgreen: I love that chick), Sector 300 M classic "No Limits" screw-down diver-chrono, old Rotary, Original Zodiac Oceanaire, (recently picked up at a pawn shop for $85 because the guy was sick of looking at it) an Invicter moon-phase, Hammy 3 hand / date whose name escapes me, original JDM Seiko LCD chrono/alarm, and a Pulsar LED.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
User avatar
SynMike
Founding Member
Posts: 1021
Joined: December 19th 2009, 11:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact:

Re: So who owns a quartz watch?

Post by SynMike » May 8th 2018, 2:49pm

A little tidbit to add to this thread of a couple weeks ago...

Every now and then I find that I set my mechanical watches to the wrong time. Sometimes I realize later in the day that I set the minute off by 5 minutes. Or worse, I set the whole watch off by 1 hour. When I pick up a mechanical that is not running I usually give it a bit of a wind (if it supports that) then set the time against my Accutron or quartz Aqua Terra (knowing that they are always within a couple of seconds). I usually take the time to sync the seconds hand if hacking is available. So I might have the second hand synced but either the minute hand or the hour hand is off by 1 index.

This is not all the time, but it happens to me once every few weeks. I guess I'm getting old? I don't have the attention for details? I don't know how I have started to make this mistake.

When I take a quartz out of the drawer it will have the right time. It might have the wrong date if last month was less than 31 days. But I don't care so much about the date anyway (I sightly prefer watches without date.)

This afternoon I am wearing an Omega quartz that is still within 1 second now 2-3 months since I last synced it to correct time. I like that reliability.

I'm not saying that I prefer quartz over mechanical (hand wind is actually my favorite type). But quartz has advantages.
Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
User avatar
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time
Posts: 20223
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Contact:

Re: So who owns a quartz watch?

Post by foghorn » May 8th 2018, 2:57pm

SynMike wrote:A little tidbit to add to this thread of a couple weeks ago...

Every now and then I find that I set my mechanical watches to the wrong time. Sometimes I realize later in the day that I set the minute off by 5 minutes. Or worse, I set the whole watch off by 1 hour. When I pick up a mechanical that is not running I usually give it a bit of a wind (if it supports that) then set the time against my Accutron or quartz Aqua Terra (knowing that they are always within a couple of seconds). I usually take the time to sync the seconds hand if hacking is available. So I might have the second hand synced but either the minute hand or the hour hand is off by 1 index.

This is not all the time, but it happens to me once every few weeks. I guess I'm getting old? I don't have the attention for details? I don't know how I have started to make this mistake.

When I take a quartz out of the drawer it will have the right time. It might have the wrong date if last month was less than 31 days. But I don't care so much about the date anyway (I sightly prefer watches without date.)

This afternoon I am wearing an Omega quartz that is still within 1 second now 2-3 months since I last synced it to correct time. I like that reliability.

I'm not saying that I prefer quartz over mechanical (hand wind is actually my favorite type). But quartz has advantages.



I've done the "5 minute " thing too!!
I've also looked at a quartz watch and could swear that the seconds hand isn't moving when it is.
Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
Posts: 31844
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: So who owns a quartz watch?

Post by conjurer » May 8th 2018, 6:48pm

foghorn wrote:
SynMike wrote:A little tidbit to add to this thread of a couple weeks ago...

Every now and then I find that I set my mechanical watches to the wrong time. Sometimes I realize later in the day that I set the minute off by 5 minutes. Or worse, I set the whole watch off by 1 hour. When I pick up a mechanical that is not running I usually give it a bit of a wind (if it supports that) then set the time against my Accutron or quartz Aqua Terra (knowing that they are always within a couple of seconds). I usually take the time to sync the seconds hand if hacking is available. So I might have the second hand synced but either the minute hand or the hour hand is off by 1 index.

This is not all the time, but it happens to me once every few weeks. I guess I'm getting old? I don't have the attention for details? I don't know how I have started to make this mistake.

When I take a quartz out of the drawer it will have the right time. It might have the wrong date if last month was less than 31 days. But I don't care so much about the date anyway (I sightly prefer watches without date.)

This afternoon I am wearing an Omega quartz that is still within 1 second now 2-3 months since I last synced it to correct time. I like that reliability.

I'm not saying that I prefer quartz over mechanical (hand wind is actually my favorite type). But quartz has advantages.



I've done the "5 minute " thing too!!
I've also looked at a quartz watch and could swear that the seconds hand isn't moving when it is.


I hate to admit to it, but I've done the 5 minutes off deal more than a few times. I figured it was due to my somewhat dissipated lifestyle and lack of brain cells.

Regarding Sole-lass Quarts, i Half a feww:

Image

Image

And a couple others, including another Citizen (a black Skyhawk with a dead capacitor) and a Seiko Sportura, with a dead battery.
I find tv watches to be like the guys who raise their truck you need a fricken ladder to get in. It’s a attempt to look cool... that’s all.

--Hawkeye
User avatar
Kahuna74
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 4459
Joined: June 11th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: So who owns a quartz watch?

Post by Kahuna74 » May 9th 2018, 4:14am

conjurer wrote:
foghorn wrote:
SynMike wrote:A little tidbit to add to this thread of a couple weeks ago...

Every now and then I find that I set my mechanical watches to the wrong time. Sometimes I realize later in the day that I set the minute off by 5 minutes. Or worse, I set the whole watch off by 1 hour. When I pick up a mechanical that is not running I usually give it a bit of a wind (if it supports that) then set the time against my Accutron or quartz Aqua Terra (knowing that they are always within a couple of seconds). I usually take the time to sync the seconds hand if hacking is available. So I might have the second hand synced but either the minute hand or the hour hand is off by 1 index.

This is not all the time, but it happens to me once every few weeks. I guess I'm getting old? I don't have the attention for details? I don't know how I have started to make this mistake.

When I take a quartz out of the drawer it will have the right time. It might have the wrong date if last month was less than 31 days. But I don't care so much about the date anyway (I sightly prefer watches without date.)

This afternoon I am wearing an Omega quartz that is still within 1 second now 2-3 months since I last synced it to correct time. I like that reliability.

I'm not saying that I prefer quartz over mechanical (hand wind is actually my favorite type). But quartz has advantages.



I've done the "5 minute " thing too!!
I've also looked at a quartz watch and could swear that the seconds hand isn't moving when it is.


I hate to admit to it, but I've done the 5 minutes off deal more than a few times. I figured it was due to my somewhat dissipated lifestyle and lack of brain cells.

Regarding Sole-lass Quarts, i Half a feww:

Image

Image

And a couple others, including another Citizen (a black Skyhawk with a dead capacitor) and a Seiko Sportura, with a dead battery.


I am up to twelve . I like em a lot lately. Seems like so far this year they are all I am buying. I too have set my others off a few times and I try to keep them all running daily, which is a real pain. Yes I hand wind them all twice a day. Where as my quartz watches are grab and go.
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 14348
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Deep South
Contact:

Re: So who owns a quartz watch?

Post by biglove » September 16th 2020, 10:28am

I do love Citizen watches.

Someone needs to buy this one.
6525C172-972B-4440-8513-D9B7232D6CE0.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 14348
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Deep South
Contact:

Re: So who owns a quartz watch?

Post by biglove » September 16th 2020, 4:44pm

Current quartz owned...

DC642FD6-6646-47A2-8E7B-2DEB47848223.jpeg
4D911EB2-C35A-4F21-ADF7-59710E906967.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I always complain because I'm old now and everything hurts."-Mike Rowe
User avatar
AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Posts: 3981
Joined: October 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Facebook ID: 0
Location: Peace River, Alberta
Contact:

Re: So who owns a quartz watch?

Post by AlbertaTime » September 16th 2020, 5:24pm

My most worn watch...

Image

And others...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

and...

Image
Image

Image
Last edited by AlbertaTime on September 16th 2020, 9:52pm, edited 2 times in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
Post Reply

Return to “General Watch talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest