What the heck are the Watchlord watch standards?

koimaster
Founder

What the heck are the Watchlord watch standards?

Post by koimaster » May 22nd 2013, 6:58am

Some mentioned in a post a few days ago that their watches may not be up to watchlord standards. What the hell are these standards? It is amusing that so many WG members comment that we and others are watch snobs. I was not aware we were either snobs nor had watch standards that had to be met. :8YKYHUH:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
AlbertaTime
Master of Time
Facebook ID: 0

Re: What the heck are the Watchlord watch standards?

Post by AlbertaTime » May 22nd 2013, 8:05am

I think the only standard where folks here get snobby at all is the standard of "truth", which is to say that watches ought to be honestly labelled and described.

There's a couple of brands that don't really meet that test, and folks here will say so.
Last edited by Anonymous on May 22nd 2013, 1:23pm, edited 1 time in total.
Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
Horse Feathers
ASSHAT - RETIRED

Post by Horse Feathers » May 22nd 2013, 9:25am

Tzimisces wrote:Or big and goofy looking.

+1, using WG lingo (pulled the trigger, bad boy,etc) also adds to your target size

Saying your watches "aren't up to WL standards" is just BS and actually sounds Geekish to me (I know my lime green or lemon yellow case in cradle construction 50mm bad boy is awesome, anyone that has a difference in opinion is just a snob and a hater)

"I did lose a pusher pulling it out of the mug however
it doesn't affect functionality"

- JR of Reclinervision ™
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » May 22nd 2013, 10:12am

AlbertaTime wrote:I think the only standard where folks here get snobby at all is the standard of "truth", which is to say that watches ought to be honestly labelled and described.

There's a couple of brands that either don't really meet that test, and folks here will say so.

In the time I've been at WL, I've seen examples of every kind of watch on earth posted. The only individual standard I'm aware of is: If you like it, wear it. Stand up, don't be a lemming. Immerse and educate yourself in your hobby. If you want to hang out at WL, be secure enough to speak freely and get your shoes squeezed a little bit, it's the fun and unique character of the joint, however, don't confuse the same with snobbery. If it's approval you seek, call yo momma.

Until I started hanging out here, I looked down on despised Chinese watches; thanks to what I've learned here, I'm considering a couple for my collection and have come to appreciate China's history of watchmaking while maintaining my vehement disdain for their utter disregard for intellectual property.

The most important thing we bring to WL is ourselves and in doing so, there is much to be taken.

Last edited by Anonymous on May 22nd 2013, 2:16pm, edited 6 times in total.
Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Post by iwasbanned » May 22nd 2013, 10:56am

Watch Noob wrote:
iwasbanned wrote:I like my watches, like I like my women, just a little on the trashy side.

lol, I woulda bet you were gonna say Big & Black.

That would have been funnier, but a blatant lie. I like them trashy, they do it better:

[youtube][/youtube]
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Post by Falstaff » May 22nd 2013, 11:23am

Not sure what our "standards" are, but we do know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. Personally, I am a watch snob and an elitist. Doesn't seem to interfere with my forum interactions.
"Open the pod bay doors, Hal." "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that."
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Post by BigCheez » May 22nd 2013, 11:41am

Falstaff wrote:Not sure what our "standards" are, but we do know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. Personally, I am a watch snob and an elitist. Doesn't seem to interfere with my forum interactions.

Me too. I survived my tonnage phase, and now I want to own (and wear) good watches.

I'm quite satisfied (for the moment) with only seven watches, because they are good ones. If that makes me a snob, so be it. If that makes me an enthusiast instead of a "collector", I guess that's fine too.
TemerityB (Online)
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » May 22nd 2013, 12:36pm

I'm easy: It all starts with a sapphire crystal (no substitutions allowed; sorry Seiko fans), a verified Swiss auto movement (no mystery or changed numbers; to me, it's usually ETA, or it ain't), a quality case, and a good (meaning comfortable) strap or bracelet and we can go from there. I do make exceptions - I still own a buncha quartz and don't mind that at all - but those are my criteria when I'm dropping anything more than $300. And yes, IWG fans, you can get ALL of that for $300 or not much more than that if you really want to. It's one of the reasons the used/vintage market is such a hoot. And it's another reason to shut off that fucking TV and stop listening to the grifter and the con and the guy who looks like Larry Fine.

If that makes me a "snob," "hater," or "elitist," eat me; just drop to your knees and munch away.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
WatchDorks.Net
Senior Member & WIS

Post by WatchDorks.Net » May 22nd 2013, 2:12pm

Don't lie about yer shit and where it's made.

Don't create ludicrous artificial MSRPs.

Don't obfuscate the nature of the movements and other components.

Don't use fake natural materials (crystals are not diamonds and stickers are not mother of pearl).

Don't use substandard components and try to turn them into elite elements by attaching fancy names (tritnite, flame fusion, swiss gold layering).

Don't use bullshit terms like "engine" or "bonded at the molecular level".

When you use off-the-shelf components from real watch companies, just be honest about it and not claim that it is an "exclusive partnership with movements customized for us". (Oh, and when your Chinese monkeys fuck up putting the movements in cases, don't try and blame it on the company who made the movements.)

Don't base your entire brand on producing cheap replicas while at the same time saying you're "stepping up and paying respect to the heritage of watchmaking".

Don't do bullshit remotes.

Actually provide the customer service you promise rather than ripping off your customers further.

Don't hire ex-convict goons that make their bones by bullying your customers.

Stay away from those and we're good.
Proud "hater" since 2009. Get over it and have fun reassembling yer wartches.

koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » May 22nd 2013, 2:29pm

Luftwafflles wrote:I guess you got your answer Koi.

Interesting responses. I always thought it was buy what you like as long as you know what it is your buying.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by eddiea » May 22nd 2013, 2:38pm

koimaster wrote:
Luftwafflles wrote:I guess you got your answer Koi.

Interesting responses. I always thought it was buy what you like as long as you know what it is your buying.

Fuck that...now we have higher standards..... Image

Return to “General Watch talk”