Insane Klone Posse - Post Lookalikes here

Ed Barclay
Banned

Re: Insane Klone Posse - Post Lookalikes here

Post by Ed Barclay » August 6th 2011, 9:23am

Sturhling and SWI have no idea how to design watches. They are strictly limited to knocking off better known companies. I have yet to see either come out with something original.

Invicta does come out with a few original designs, but they are almost always incredibly ugly. I think it usually stems from Eyal's immense ego allowing him to think he is a designer, and being surrounded by Mikey, Jill and the other "yes" men.

They're basically filling the gap for those who like the high end watch designs, but are unable to afford to pay for the privilege of owning the original...and they're both making a lot of money doing it!
Last edited by Anonymous on August 6th 2011, 9:27am, edited 1 time in total.
TickTocker
Senior Member & WIS
Facebook ID: 0

Post by TickTocker » August 6th 2011, 9:25am

Ed Barclay wrote:Sturhling and SWI have no idea how to design watches. They are strictly limited to knocking off better known companies. I have yet to see either come out with something original.

They're basically filling the gap for those who like the high end watch designs, but are unable to afford to pay for the privilege of owning the original...and they're both making a lot of money doing it!

bingo, bullseye, on the money baby!
bdgrewe74

Post by bdgrewe74 » December 14th 2011, 8:44am

mrneddles wrote:Came accross this model on TZ. As best I can tell, produced by Citizen briefly in 1999, referred to as the "Robert Swan" edition. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So clearly predates the Oceanaut Pacha, Renato Beast/TRex Mink creations.

what do you mean the T-Rex has to be original! say it isn't so!...
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Post by iwasbanned » December 14th 2011, 9:28am

mrneddles wrote:Came accross this model on TZ. As best I can tell, produced by Citizen briefly in 1999, referred to as the "Robert Swan" edition. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That is one cool Citizen.
koimaster
Founder

Post by koimaster » December 14th 2011, 10:16am

look at the post in the asian watch forum on this topic. You are right in the timeline for the watch and this case design.

Citizen Robert Swan Super Tough
This very rare eco-drive model was sold 7/99

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-citizen-robert-swan-super-tough-373850.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Founder

Citizen robert swan - Oceanaut Pasha & Renato

Post by koimaster » December 15th 2011, 8:59am

The Citizen is circa 1999, the oceanaut 2003 and the beast circa 2004/2005 yet if memory serves me correctly, mink made a big deal out of producing a patent for the case design.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
mosc
Senior Member & WIS

Post by mosc » December 15th 2011, 11:26am

I just discovered this topic. I personally have no problems with look-alikes, or similarly styled homages. But it's great to be informed. Sometimes the appearance of the original is dramatically better than the knock-offs. You can really see why the original has so much increased value. For example, Cartier always looks beautiful, very fine quality, and expensive. SO almost never looks so, even on casual inspection. Other times, the knock-offs are even better looking. (I'm thinking some of the Androids.)

I've seen some replica Brietlings that are beautiful, but I've never purchased one.
Watch collecting is a disastrous trap and I'm stuck. At least I always know what time it is.
foghorn
Founding Member & Master of Time

Post by foghorn » January 17th 2012, 10:47am

mrneddles wrote:The Richard Mille/Renato Buzo Extreme copy was on page 2 of this thread.

Oh,come on!! He's just over from geeks! Surely you don't expect that, all of a sudden ,he'll start reading a thread proir to posting in it ,do you??
ChronoMATT
Master of Time

Post by ChronoMATT » March 26th 2012, 4:05pm

I could have sworn Bulova had a model that cloned (or the other way around) the Beast. I have seen it on eBay on occasion through the years. And who can't forget premium Joshua & Son's version of Daniel's patented design.

koimaster wrote:The Citizen is circa 1999, the oceanaut 2003 and the beast circa 2004/2005 yet if memory serves me correctly, mink made a big deal out of producing a patent for the case design.

Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » April 7th 2012, 2:43pm

mrneddles wrote:Stuhrling, you really are shameless.

Dateline: SoCal. I guess we should add these, too...

However, there just isn't any comparison between Seiko and Stuhurling unOriginal. Seiko is quality personified. S.O. is not. Seiko builds watches that combine style, strength and longevity. S.O. slaps together some 'amazing' pieces that seemingly disintegrate after a couple of years. Hell, there are now entire websites devoted to 'mod'ing' certain Seikos with cool aftermarket accessories and designs. (And I can't wait to receive my newly-minted Seiko "Green Monster." Damn thing'll have enough super luminova (c) to coat a basketball three times...maybe four) S.O. seems to have permanently landed in the 'Shitty Little Watch Corner' of most right-thinking WIS sites.

So am I giving Seiko a pass because they're such an awesome company? As dey say in Meenasoota, da DakOta's and Good 'ol 'Sconsin, YOU BETCHA...Seiko has the pride of their history; Stuhurling has their shameless theft of designs and will one day be history. At least this Cub Reporter is of that opine.

This is Mortuus, reporting for WL News in sunny North San Diego County, where the men are men, and the avocados are nervous.
ChronoMATT
Master of Time

Post by ChronoMATT » April 7th 2012, 4:34pm

As a Venutra collector (see the Vintage and Hamilton watch forums here), I bought the first release Seiko Triangle Chrono over, gosh, a decade plus ago (lower right model seen below). I was happy to wrist a salute to the classic from a quality company that could serve as a daily Ventura beater of sorts. Consider it selective indignation, but I feel no insult due to Seiko's original take on the historic design that makes it all their own. Plus, no original Ventura came on a bracelet as this does.

The Turdling is another story altogether. It has generated the most disgust felt for any watch company in a long time.

Mortuus wrote:
Last edited by Anonymous on April 7th 2012, 7:18pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mortuus Fakeuus

Post by Mortuus Fakeuus » April 7th 2012, 6:58pm

For Queso Grande & ChronoMATT: Well said, both of you. If it is selective indignation, then so be it. To those of us who know the difference between a turd(ling) and a tearose, it's an easy, even ethically sound call to make.

Return to “General Watch talk”