Prices falling for used watches in 2024

Post Reply
User avatar
bbattle
Senior Member & WIS
Posts: 2637
Joined: July 11th 2019, 2:51pm
Contact:

Prices falling for used watches in 2024

Post by bbattle » February 5th 2024, 4:44am

The Robb Report says 2024 will be a better year for buying pre-owned watches but prices for the popular ones are still way up there.
Just how far have prices fallen? According to Morgan Stanley, in 2023, prices on Rolex, Patek, and AP declined by 8 percent, 16 percent, and 18 percent, respectively. (But never fear: In the fourth quarter, secondhand prices on the Big Three still commanded a collective 24.7 percent premium compared with retail prices.)
Now that watches are once again “an interest class as opposed to an asset class,” as Geoff Hess, Sotheby’s head of watches for the Americas puts it, the speculators have left the building.
https://robbreport.com/style/watch-coll ... 235492562/
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 10524
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Prices falling for used watches in 2024

Post by jason_recliner » February 5th 2024, 4:59pm

smellody wrote:
February 5th 2024, 9:36am
I wish they would fall a little more!

There are so many watches that I need!
They will. Been falling for a year or so, but got 2-3 years more to go :-) And maybe even much further than that - how many speculators / chancers who bought fancy watches in the last few years actually love watches and will want to hold on to them? Could be a lot of heavily depreciated Swiss watches for sale in 5 years time.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
smellody
Owner
Posts: 11590
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: OR
Contact:

Re: Prices falling for used watches in 2024

Post by smellody » February 5th 2024, 8:30pm

jason_recliner wrote:
February 5th 2024, 4:59pm
smellody wrote:
February 5th 2024, 9:36am
I wish they would fall a little more!

There are so many watches that I need!
They will. Been falling for a year or so, but got 2-3 years more to go :-) And maybe even much further than that - how many speculators / chancers who bought fancy watches in the last few years actually love watches and will want to hold on to them? Could be a lot of heavily depreciated Swiss watches for sale in 5 years time.
Yes. But you probably know the ones I want. They are coming down.... but they ain't cheap.

I've thought about becoming a jiggalo for some extra cash flow. I mean anything for a buck, right?
   Image
User avatar
jason_recliner
ASSHAT
Posts: 10524
Joined: September 17th 2011, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Prices falling for used watches in 2024

Post by jason_recliner » February 5th 2024, 10:39pm

smellody wrote:
February 5th 2024, 8:30pm
jason_recliner wrote:
February 5th 2024, 4:59pm
smellody wrote:
February 5th 2024, 9:36am
I wish they would fall a little more!

There are so many watches that I need!
They will. Been falling for a year or so, but got 2-3 years more to go :-) And maybe even much further than that - how many speculators / chancers who bought fancy watches in the last few years actually love watches and will want to hold on to them? Could be a lot of heavily depreciated Swiss watches for sale in 5 years time.
Yes. But you probably know the ones I want. They are coming down.... but they ain't cheap.

I've thought about becoming a jiggalo for some extra cash flow. I mean anything for a buck, right?
You might be surprised. The whole hype/flex/LE/manufactured scarcity/flipping the last few years has ruined watches for a bunch of us. Could be plenty of much cheaper watches around again. They weren't worth much at all 30 years ago and everything is cyclical.
Last edited by jason_recliner on February 6th 2024, 12:39am, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright Reclinervision 2020 Productions. All rights reserved.

If it thinks, it stinks
User avatar
conjurer
Owner
Posts: 35274
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Prices falling for used watches in 2024

Post by conjurer » February 6th 2024, 12:19am

jason_recliner wrote:
February 5th 2024, 10:39pm
smellody wrote:
February 5th 2024, 8:30pm
jason_recliner wrote:
February 5th 2024, 4:59pm


They will. Been falling for a year or so, but got 2-3 years more to go :-) And maybe even much further than that - how many speculators / chancers who bought fancy watches in the last few years actually love watches and will want to hold on to them? Could be a lot of heavily depreciated Swiss watches for sale in 5 years time.
Yes. But you probably know the ones I want. They are coming down.... but they ain't cheap.

I've thought about becoming a jiggalo for some extra cash flow. I mean anything for a buck, right?
You might be surpised. The whole hype/flex/LE/manufactured scarcity/flipping the lkast few years has ruined watches for a bunch of us. Could be plenty of much cheaper watches around again. They weren't worth much at all 30 years ago and everything is cyclical.
I remember 2007 very well. There were a whole lot of really smart people who said that we had seen the end of cyclical economic booms and busts. They certainly weren't right about that, the stupid bastards.
boscoe
ASSHAT
Posts: 10132
Joined: March 31st 2010, 10:00pm
Contact:

Re: Prices falling for used watches in 2024

Post by boscoe » February 12th 2024, 9:11am

Watchcharts.com - a great resource with full price reports on about 24 brands- predicts the sky will keep falling since the market was over-heated by flippers, who outnumber true collectors/horologists. Also with Rolex the backlog seems to be easing, which will dampen used pricing. My strategy these days, particularly for Rolex, is to only buy new and avoid the prevailing gray market mark up, which is thousands over OEM pricing. I honestly don't care if I have to wait years for a particular watch - I have 64ish pieces. At some point, too much simply becomes too much.
User avatar
smellody
Owner
Posts: 11590
Joined: December 18th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: OR
Contact:

Re: Prices falling for used watches in 2024

Post by smellody » February 12th 2024, 9:40am

With Rolex, I'm still in good shape. I've always paid under retail with two noted exceptions.

The 1964 gilt underline pointed crown guard full set. (I paid a lot but, 1/3 of value at time and still well over double what it got it for.)

The Polar Explorer II. I paid about $500 over new, but it was all trade of other than Rolex. So still a push.
   Image
User avatar
Nuvolari
Watchlord WIS
Posts: 3976
Joined: August 7th 2014, 5:53pm
Contact:

Re: Prices falling for used watches in 2024

Post by Nuvolari » February 12th 2024, 9:43am

I’m not aware of anyone who would buy or sell based on a trend - but there sure were a lot of fucks buying on speculation of value ascension for a given model that was never fully realized. Faux-enthusiast car people and self-proclaimed real estate guru do the same damn thing. It’s annoying to the real aficionados - but, whaddya gonna do when everyone likes to make a buck? 💰

In this thing Conjurer says is ours I believe there are only two rules:
1. Buy what you like;
2. Never pay retail.

Prices and values will continue to ebb and flow like the Pacific…. And sometimes you have to just jump in. 80 degrees is fantastic, 58 degrees is a bit chilly without a wetsuit…. But, regardless - for the lunatic craving a swim the two different circumstances are both invigorating - just different.

It’s nice when they hold value - but make no mistake, watches are not investments: they are jewelry and they toys.
”Russian Warship - Go Fuck Yourself!”

Image
Post Reply

Return to “General Watch talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest