The Watch that broke Switzerland

biglove
Watchlord WIS
Facebook ID: 0

The Watch that broke Switzerland

Post by biglove » January 12th 2021, 6:37pm

My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Re: The Watch that broke Switzerland

Post by biglove » January 13th 2021, 7:05pm

3Flushes wrote:
January 13th 2021, 3:46pm
AIR the Seiko straw that broke Switzerlands back was the LCD multifunction digitals.
Indeed it may have been. Growing up I remember when IBM gifted my father a gold-tone, red LCD display watch. Can't recall the brand but it was early 70s and IBM didn't give out trash. So wish I had it now.
My best friend from college shared his secret to his huge financial success, "I fell out of the right vagina."

"We should just sanction stupidity as our national pastime and be done with it."-TemerityB, WL Asshat
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 14th 2021, 1:22am

biglove wrote:
January 13th 2021, 7:05pm
3Flushes wrote:
AIR the Seiko straw that broke Switzerlands back was the LCD multifunction digitals.
Indeed it may have been. Growing up I remember when IBM gifted my father a gold-tone, red LCD display watch. Can't recall the brand but it was early 70s and IBM didn't give out trash. So wish I had it now.
Pulsar made the first LED digital watches; your dad's was proly a P-3, released in 1973'ish, The P-1 was introduced in 1971 and cost $1300, I believe, for gold-filled, which was a buttload of money back then.

Solid 18 Kt. gold models on bracelets ranged to about $2400. By way of comparison, the 18 Kt 1803 'fat boy' or 1808 Rolex Day Date models cost $1850. Hamilton released several models around '73 as well, equally pricey.

In 1973, the P-3 was introduced and cost about $600 in steel, about $150 more than a Submariner. AIR, it was the P-3 (might well have been later) that introduced a mechanism that displayed the time the wearer rotated their wrist to check the time; requiring both hands to see the time led to drops in sales as the novelty began to wear off. They launched it with a really funny national ad campaign- I found a lot of old ads for these but not the one for the first 'buttonless'.

The collectors market for these is huge; they can bring 6 G's in decent shape 11+ for 18 Kt.- the Pulsars, that is- IDK about the Hamiltons.
^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
Datsun240Z71 (Online)
Founding Member - WIS

Post by Datsun240Z71 » January 14th 2021, 5:08am

3Flushes wrote:
January 14th 2021, 1:22am
biglove wrote:
January 13th 2021, 7:05pm
3Flushes wrote:
Pulsar made the first LED digital watches; your dad's was proly a P-3, released in 1973'ish, The P-1 was introduced in 1971 and cost $1300, I believe, for gold-filled, which was a buttload of money back then.

Solid 18 Kt. gold models on bracelets ranged to about $2400. By way of comparison, the 18 Kt 1803 'fat boy' or 1808 Rolex Day Date models cost $1850. Hamilton released several models around '73 as well, equally pricey.

In 1973, the P-3 was introduced and cost about $600 in steel, about $150 more than a Submariner. AIR, it was the P-3 (might well have been later) that introduced a mechanism that displayed the time the wearer rotated their wrist to check the time; requiring both hands to see the time led to drops in sales as the novelty began to wear off. They launched it with a really funny national ad campaign- I found a lot of old ads for these but not the one for the first 'buttonless'.

The collectors market for these is huge; they can bring 6 G's in decent shape 11+ for 18 Kt.- the Pulsars, that is- IDK about the Hamiltons.
Damn.
Here's one on ebay for over $15k! I had no idea.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Extremely-Rare ... OSwoydWiSA~
Randy in Nashville
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » January 14th 2021, 6:35am

^^^ It was around 1973-75. I remember I was only allowed to pick it up and push the buttons if Dad was with me. One button showed the time and the other the date in day/month numbers, if my recollection serves me well.

TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » January 14th 2021, 1:38pm

3Flushes wrote:
I was a kid, but everybody wanted one of those. EVERYBODY people went nuts for those, from all walks of life, too.

But then again - I remember when the first electronic calculators came out. We weren't rich - OMG, not close to it - and I remember what my dad paid for his LED calculator: almost two hundred bucks. Now you can get 'em at dollar stores. But then again: He used to work his ass off to buy a color TV, which cost three months pay and needed two guys to carry it in to the house; now, you can walk into a Best Buy and walk out with a 32" 4K set under your arm for a couple of hundred bucks.
Best of luck to all my longtime friends here. Please stay safe, always.
3Flushes (Online)
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » January 14th 2021, 2:14pm

This is my original Seiko A-159. These were the first watches to combine a chrono and alarm function, and they were also the first to use LCD panels. The chrono function included lap times.

My uncle got this for me from Hong Kong in late 1975; AIR, they were released in the united states in 1977. They are not worth much to collectors, topping out at about $200, but some of the later models can fetch upwards of $3,000.

The popularity of these made the watch a phenom- they sold 10's of millions of them over the years.

Due to the little bleed in the LCD I don't keep it running anymore.

^^^Copyright ©️ 2020 3flushes Media.^^^
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Post by TemerityB » January 14th 2021, 6:32pm

3Flushes wrote:
January 14th 2021, 2:14pm
This is my original Seiko A-159. These were the first watches to combine a chrono and alarm function, and they were also the first to use LCD panels. The chrono function included lap times.

My uncle got this for me from Hong Kong in late 1975; AIR, they were released in the united states in 1977. They are not worth much to collectors, topping out at about $200, but some of the later models can fetch upwards of $3,000.

The popularity of these made the watch a phenom- they sold 10's of millions of them over the years.

Due to the little bleed in the LCD I don't keep it running anymore.

Very cool. Props to you for holding onto that for so long.
Best of luck to all my longtime friends here. Please stay safe, always.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Post by biglove » January 14th 2021, 9:50pm

^^^ Mad respect for you hanging onto that LCD watch. I grew up with a mother and sister that were hoarders, literally. My mother's sister, too.

Guess trying to avoid that is one of the reasons for my affinity to throw things away. That has burned me with watches.

Return to “General Watch talk”