Help me identify this screw size

Budman2k
Facebook ID: 0

Help me identify this screw size

Post by Budman2k » November 8th 2019, 2:02pm

I need to replace all the screws on one of my watches case back. I took it to a jeweler a couple years ago because I didn't have a good screwdriver and didn't want to risk effing up the screws. Well guess what? The jeweler fucked it up for me! I can't believe it. Took me awhile but I got the screws out. I don't have a digital caliper so I'm going by my metric ruler.
If I'm reading this correctly I need thread diameter 1.0mm, thread length 2.0mm and head size 1.4mm or 1.5mm.

Here's the pictures:

TemerityB
ASSHAT

Re: Help me identify this screw size

Post by TemerityB » November 8th 2019, 3:47pm

Here's what I did in a similar situation - I picked up a screw assortment from Esslinger and matched up the screw I had to one of the ones in the assortment. True, you'll have a bunch of screws you will probably never use ... but sometime in the future, you might lose another one, and you'll have your hand pack of screws as a just-in-case.

Log on to Esslinger and/or Amazon and you'll find a bunch of assortments, and they're not expensive.

That's what I did, anyway.
WatchGeeks will go down in watch forum history as the worst watch related site that existed. Trolls, threats, bannings, and owners and sponsors talking out of their collective asses to fleece people out of hard earned money. - Koimaster
Hawk
ASSHAT

Post by Hawk » November 8th 2019, 3:52pm

For the briefest moment I thought I had something. Then I noticed the availability status. What version of fuckwit lists something as "not for sale"? http://www.allwatchparts.com/12MM-Screw ... _1574.html

Maybe inquire as to what might be found in this pile:
https://www.esslinger.com/eyeglass-and- ... 00-pieces/
And the fact I'm still living rent free in his head makes me grin and giggle.
...bobbee
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Post by koimaster » November 8th 2019, 4:40pm

Might want to try a new jeweler to see if they might have some spare screws. My wife used to tell she had a few if I wanted to get one. :mrgreen:

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Post by 3Flushes » November 8th 2019, 5:11pm

TemerityB wrote:
November 8th 2019, 3:47pm
Here's what I did in a similar situation - I picked up a screw assortment from Esslinger and matched up the screw I had to one of the ones in the assortment. True, you'll have a bunch of screws you will probably never use ... but sometime in the future, you might lose another one, and you'll have your hand pack of screws as a just-in-case.

Log on to Esslinger and/or Amazon and you'll find a bunch of assortments, and they're not expensive.

That's what I did, anyway.
^^^That's a good idea- I don't do anything myself; the watchmaker is expensive enough without the do it myself complications tacked on.

Maybe a watchmaker would match it up and sell you a set- I even had a guy machine me a set of screws to replace some pieces of shit like yours that he had to drill out to remove. AIR $6.75 each. They can make an unbelievable number of parts on those little lathes.
Copyright ©️ 2019 3flushes Media.

The past is never dead. It isn't even past.- Faulkner
Budman2k

Post by Budman2k » November 9th 2019, 6:23am

I've actually got the screw assortment from Esslinger in my cart. I just keep thinking what am I going to do with the other 150 screws?!? But you make a good point TemerityB. I'm sure I may need some down the road (or someone else I might be able to help out).
The only reason I didn't order it yet is because I was looking for smaller assortments but nothing really fit the bill.

Thanks Hawk.....ya, what's up with that??

Return to “General Watch talk”