Nomos Glashütte Autobahn: Pedal To The Metal!

From Sothis to Blancier, all things German

Nomos Glashütte Autobahn: Pedal To The Metal!

Postby koimaster » July 9th 2018, 3:16pm

As the name suggests, surprising departures can be, well, surprising.

Our brains use patterns to develop an idea of what a thing is and what it isn’t so that they don’t consume unnecessary energy in constantly reevaluating what we appear to have evaluated before.

Our brains are prediction machines.

This practice can be very valuable to many aspects of our lives: using accepted ideas helps navigate our day-to-day activities.

https://quillandpad.com/2018/07/09/nomo ... the-metal/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Nomos Glashütte Autobahn: Pedal To The Metal!

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 9th 2018, 4:38pm

I'm not sure as to what's more revolting, the Porsche Cayenne or the watch.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » July 9th 2018, 4:42pm

I am ambivalent.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » July 9th 2018, 5:33pm

Really? A speedometer motif is your selling point? It appears Nomos have run out of ideas.

It was a truly sad day when even Porsche had to cave and participate in the off-roader craze.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » July 9th 2018, 6:36pm

On the plus side, this moves the Club Campus up from being the worst Nomos.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » July 9th 2018, 9:50pm

It looks Nautica.
Copyright ©️ 2018 3flushes Media.

"When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby artman » July 9th 2018, 9:56pm

3Flushes wrote:It looks Nautica.

That's kinduv an insult to Nautica.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Racer-X » July 9th 2018, 10:04pm

The white isn't terrible. The Cayenne is.
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Pubbie » July 10th 2018, 1:14am

Looks pretty gash. But it's made by Nomos, so all the brand freaks are wanking over it.

Frankly, Nomos could have pushed a rusty coil spring into a punnet of catshit and they'd be lining up to applaud its bravery.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Thunder1 » July 10th 2018, 3:34am

Well, the Cayenne, like most SUV's, are today's station wagon...I drove one a few months ago for a few days as a loaner while my Cayman S was in the shop for repairs..I found it to be quite nice..good cargo room, a luxurious interior w/ excellent handling ..as for the watch, I'll pass..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » July 10th 2018, 3:54am

Thunder1 wrote:Well, the Cayenne, like most SUV's, are today's station wagon...

Except station wagons make sense and SUV's don't for most people. Many equate a false sense of security to the raised driving position and extra bulk.

Elephants on wheels that are expensive to own, expensive to run, use more resources to achieve the same outcome, and make road users (including the SUV drivers) less safe overall. Worse, 99.9% of SUV owners don't need or use the things an SUV might give you over a station wagon.

Companies like Porsche had to buy into the stupidity cos they need to make money.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Falstaff » July 10th 2018, 6:58am

First Nomos that I've ever seen that's even remotely attractive. The Cayenne however, is an abomination - Butzi Porsche would roll over in his grave.
I'm your huckleberry.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby codguy » July 10th 2018, 7:37am

The least they could have done is give this wartch a VDO appearance.

Four door Porsches........................... the gayest of them all.
No longer a Porsche fan despite owning four of them. Hell, I even overlooked the two door 912 pretending to self it never existed.
codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Thunder1 » July 10th 2018, 8:02am

Well, the Cayenne Hybrid I had for about a week got better than 20 mpg & can still do 0-60 in about 6.1 seconds..while I didn't have to ferry around a car load of kids that week, I can see where this car would be a good choice for errands such as that..and if memory serves, the traditional station wagon wasn't great on gas consumption..a big advantage a car like this has over the traditional station wagon(aside from mpg consumption) is that it is much nimbler, which should pay dividends in terms of safety...and it has a towing capacity in excess of 7,000 pounds, making it suitable for hauling a boat to the lake or a camper for an outdoors vacation..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » July 10th 2018, 11:11pm

Thunder1 wrote:Well, the Cayenne Hybrid I had for about a week got better than 20 mpg & can still do 0-60 in about 6.1 seconds..while I didn't have to ferry around a car load of kids that week, I can see where this car would be a good choice for errands such as that..and if memory serves, the traditional station wagon wasn't great on gas consumption..a big advantage a car like this has over the traditional station wagon(aside from mpg consumption) is that it is much nimbler, which should pay dividends in terms of safety...and it has a towing capacity in excess of 7,000 pounds, making it suitable for hauling a boat to the lake or a camper for an outdoors vacation..

Why focus on a modern hybrid SUV vs "traditional" station wagon comparison? I'm guessing you are attached to the SUV thing?

:Thumbsup:

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » July 11th 2018, 7:04am

bedlam wrote:
Thunder1 wrote:Well, the Cayenne Hybrid I had for about a week got better than 20 mpg & can still do 0-60 in about 6.1 seconds..while I didn't have to ferry around a car load of kids that week, I can see where this car would be a good choice for errands such as that..and if memory serves, the traditional station wagon wasn't great on gas consumption..a big advantage a car like this has over the traditional station wagon(aside from mpg consumption) is that it is much nimbler, which should pay dividends in terms of safety...and it has a towing capacity in excess of 7,000 pounds, making it suitable for hauling a boat to the lake or a camper for an outdoors vacation..

Why focus on a modern hybrid SUV vs "traditional" station wagon comparison? I'm guessing you are attached to the SUV thing?

:Thumbsup:

Christ, Beds..in my neck of the woods, every other vehicle on the road is a pickup w/ a V8..we're making progress here.. :???:
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 11th 2018, 9:12am

I really don’t get people’s fondness of the Cayenne. It looks like a VW Touareg with a 911 mug. That’s because it is a Touareg with a 911 mug. I like German cars, but this is the Lederhosen and riveted leather cap sort of crass.

Why not choose something civilized, like a Range Rover?
Winston Churchill

The Dude

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » July 11th 2018, 9:29am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:I really don’t get people’s fondness of the Cayenne. It looks like a VW Touareg with a 911 mug. That’s because it is a Touareg with a 911 mug. I like German cars, but this is the Lederhosen and riveted leather cap sort of crass.

Because the Kraut one won't break down?

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » July 11th 2018, 9:44am

conjurer wrote:
MKTheVintageBloke wrote:I really don’t get people’s fondness of the Cayenne. It looks like a VW Touareg with a 911 mug. That’s because it is a Touareg with a 911 mug. I like German cars, but this is the Lederhosen and riveted leather cap sort of crass.

Perhaps, but as opposed to a Range Rover (or a Land Rover Defender), when the Kraut thing gets stuck in the mud or snow - and they tend to do that alright - the fact that it still works perfectly won't save one from having to call for a tow truck.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby bedlam » July 11th 2018, 5:20pm

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Perhaps, but as opposed to a Range Rover (or a Land Rover Defender), when the Kraut thing gets stuck in the mud or snow - and they tend to do that alright - the fact that it still works perfectly won't save one from having to call for a tow truck.

Q. What's the difference between a Cayenne and a Defender?

A. The Defender goes at the front of the tow rope.

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » July 12th 2018, 1:57am

conjurer wrote:

These days, the Indians repeatedly tap them some German ass when it comes to reliability, but that's on this side of the pond where for some reason cars behave quite differently. There isn't enough data on Porsche, but last year Audi and BMW came rock solid bottom - yep, below the Italians and the French too, let alone JLR - and since the Cayenne is based on a VAG product (whose half-dozen brands get more reliable the simpler they become) I can't imagine it turning the tables so completely.

http://europe.jdpower.com/node/7676/?pc ... dex%20(CSI)%20Study%26%26sID%7C%7C4010ENG%26%26category%7C%7CLuxury

I dunno. Maybe JLR is sending you only the shit ones, and refuses to spend money on distribution? : )

M-B was the most improved brand in terms of product reliability mind you they could hardly have got worse. I am not saying they aren't good cars when they're running - most German cars are at the top of the class for that - but round these parts, people buy them to look good sitting in traffic, not for longevity and reliability of service.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Return to German Watches