A restored 17F ‘Memphis Belle’ moved to WWII Gallery

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

A restored 17F ‘Memphis Belle’ moved to WWII Gallery

Postby koimaster » May 15th 2018, 10:07pm

Dayton, Ohio: Seventy-five years ago, the B-17F Memphis Belle completed its last operational mission navigating the hostile skies over war-torn Europe. Hollywood cameras were on hand to capture the jubilation as the excited airmen exited the plane. In 25 missions, the crew of the Memphis Belle had sustained just one casualty – a minor leg wound to outspoken tail gunner, John P. Quinlan.

By comparison, the casualty count for other members of the Mighty Eighth Air Force would number some 47,000, with more than 26,000 of those brave airmen dead.

Being one of the first crews to hit the coveted cap of 25 missions, the Memphis Belle was then ordered to return to the United States to undertake a grand 31-city war bond tour. An absorbing documentary of the plane’s exploits — directed by William Wyler — was released in 1944.

In time, a feature movie about the Memphis Belle would also be made. But by war’s end, the government no longer had any use for the celebrated bomber.

http://baltimorepostexaminer.com/nation ... 2018/03/17

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: A restored 17F ‘Memphis Belle’ moved to WWII Gallery

Postby TemerityB » May 15th 2018, 10:33pm

All I know is that anyone with an opportunity to check out any planes, battleships, or anything else associated with our military, by all means do it. Sitting on the same USS Massachusetts where my father once served is a moment that grows in stature every day for me. If if you don't have a personal connection, the stories behind these machines are always fascinating.
Buying a hat doesn't make you a cowboy.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » May 15th 2018, 11:22pm

I had the honor to meet a B-17 pilot at my old store in Lakewood. Still pretty spry and dapper, he must have flown at my age when I went into college. We talked for a bit, and it turned out that he did his 25 missions; normally, crew that did 25 missions went back to the States and served out the remainder of the war as training officers. Not this guy. He didn't want to leave his younger crew behind, so he did 25 more.

Talk about balls of brass.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 16th 2018, 3:27am

A long time patient of mine was a tail gunner in WWII. He was the nicest guy. Survived some crazy ass shit and lived to tell about it. I miss him and his amazing stories.
“Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby Datsun240Z71 » May 16th 2018, 3:50am

Huge respect for our military.

This is a cousin who received the Medal of Honor. I remember him when I was a kid... a real hardass, but also a real hero that commanded respect, and earned it!

I could not go to the White House ceremony, but did watch it over the internet. My brother and sister did get to go.

https://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/shemin/
Randy in Nashville
Datsun240Z71
Founding Member - WIS

Return to Anything and Everything Else