Two new additions

Two new additions

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » January 20th 2018, 4:47pm

So, today I've visited an old friend of mine, and it so happened, that I got shanghaied into two new watches. Long story short, I've been given a choice - either I take them, or they will be sold "as is" on the Internets. The choice was obvious - wish someone would give me an ultimatum like that every day. Both clogged with old grease, but you know Mr. Bloke, he won't rest until he has them running and strapped to his wrist.

The first one is an Eterna:

The serials on the case and movement are both for 1939, but I'll ask Eterna to confirm the date of production.

30mm chrome plated case (in an excellent condition, though - only it's quite filthy, and has one ding to one of the lugs) with a press-in back, non-shockproof cal. 905. But that dial... Good that I've examined the watch while sitting down, otherwise the erection would be hard to conceal. Two-tone mix of slate and black, with gilt printing...Yay.

Movement:

Case back:

The second one is a Cyma Conquistador:

Obviously, the Synchron era was pretty much the terminal breath of the original Cyma, but then again, the Conquistador was rather well made, and a fairly popular model. This one was obviously meant for the German market, given the day wheel in German.

Sadly, the original bracelet is broken, and more stretched than a not-so-fine strumpet of Place Pigalle, but if it can be fixed, I'll keep it.

The crystal is knackered, but from underneath the crystal that looks like a dog's been chewing it, the dial appears to be immaculate. No discolouration, no scratches, no paint loss, all lume plots intact.

The case is all steel, and the movement's an ETA 2788 (21600 A/h, quickset date, non-quickset day).

The movement is, as said before, stuck with old grease. It's so fucking greasy, that if it was called Petunia, Dirtbox would roger its arse. Unfortunately, the keyless works went to Fiddler's Green, and the crown in position 0(closed) has the date quickset actuated, and in position 2, instead of setting the hands, nothing happens. Well, fuck.

All in all, nothing that a proper cleaning, service and repairs wouldn't sort out.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Re: Two new additions

Postby conjurer » January 20th 2018, 4:53pm

Those are nice, Mr. Bloke. The Eterna in particular gives me a turgid, spurting boner.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » January 20th 2018, 5:01pm

Wow. Those dials are just wonderful.

Keep us updated as to service and repairs.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby artman » January 20th 2018, 5:04pm

Very nice finds. Can't wait to see the after photos!
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby TemerityB » January 20th 2018, 5:11pm

biglove wrote:Keep us updated as to service and repairs.

Yep. The end results are always a blast.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » January 20th 2018, 5:25pm

conjurer wrote:Those are nice, Mr. Bloke. The Eterna in particular gives me a turgid, spurting boner.

Thanks, Mr. Conjurer. The Eterna, as I've said, had a similar phallic effect on me.

biglove wrote:Wow. Those dials are just wonderful.

Keep us updated as to service and repairs.

Thanks! I of course will - it will take some time before I will have any update on them, though. I'll be sending the two along with three other watches for a service in the next two weeks, and servicing five watches can take something like two-three months.

artman wrote:Very nice finds. Can't wait to see the after photos!

Will be quite a wait, as I've said - however, I'm expecting a parcel with the previous five watches back from service this Monday or Tuesday, so there'll be a thread with some "after" pics.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » January 20th 2018, 5:49pm

Its' been said, but the dial on that Eterna is very cool..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » January 20th 2018, 8:46pm

One short correction to my initial assessment of the Eterna - the movement serial appears to be for 1940, according to the chart at schild-eterna.de. So the watch will probably turn out to have been made in 1940 or 1941. Anyway, I sent an email to Eterna, so we'll see what they have to say. They'll probably take their time with the reply (2-3 weeks), but since their records do have the exact year the watch has been assembled (after all, the two individual serials only date the batches of movements and cases) and the reference number (based on my research aided by the reference numbers guide I got from Eterna, probably ref.206), it's worth the wait.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » January 21st 2018, 8:37am

I'm glad these found a home with you and will be brought to their potential. I can't wait to see the pictures of your incoming package and for these to be done.
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » June 13th 2018, 8:28am

A short update - Eterna took ages to respond, turns out they simply deactivated the old email address (info@eternawatches.com), and changed it to info@eternawatches.ch. Unfortunately, they did so prior to replying to my email.

Anyway, I've contacted them on Monday again, and the reply came today. They don't have a reference number for this one in the records, but this particular serial number is listed in their records as one for a piece made in 1941.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to Your New Watch