How Bulova Used a Universal Genève to Get to the Moon

How Bulova Used a Universal Genève to Get to the Moon

Postby koimaster » December 5th 2017, 5:00pm

I recently got myself the Bulova Moon Watch, a reproduction released by the brand earlier this year. For those of you unaware, the watch is based on an unofficial prototype worn by Astronaut David Scott during the Apollo 15 mission. That watch first came to light in 2015 when it was auctioned and sold for $1,300,000 at RR Auctions. Bulova naturally seized on the hype, and released their homage to that now iconic watch later that year.

Now, as fascinating as this all is, I prefer to dig a little deeper on the watches I buy, so I started doing some research. Specifically, I wanted to know the differences between the original and the current reproduction, so I started with the movement. In my research, there was confusion whether the original had a Valjoux 72 or 7736. But let’s shelve that for now, because as I dug deeper, I found bits of information suggesting the original watch was actually a variant of the Universal Genève Space-Compax! That was totally unexpected, but being as curious as I am, I found find myself falling down a rabbit hole, one that I learned was filled with many dubious leads.

Unsurprisingly, most Internet forum chatter is hearsay. Claims are often presented without any substantiated research or proof. These claims then turn into facts through the echo chamber that is Online watchdom.

http://wornandwound.com/bulova-used-uni ... one-today/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: How Bulova Used a Universal Genève to Get to the Moon

Postby bedlam » December 5th 2017, 5:13pm

Good read.

Interesting that the Omega Speedmaster was required to be 51% American made to meet NASA purchasing requirements but says 'Swiss Made' on the dial :scratch:
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » December 5th 2017, 5:53pm

bedlam wrote:Good read.

Interesting that the Omega Speedmaster was required to be 51% American made to meet NASA purchasing requirements but says 'Swiss Made' on the dial :scratch:

About 50 years later & still a controversy... :P
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » December 5th 2017, 11:34pm

The original watch first came to light in 2014, not 2015.
There was a thread on mybulova.com involving a guy from collectspace.com. This guy wanted to know if they had heard of the watch, as a collector at collectspace had bought the stopwatch used on re-entry by Commander Scott. He had told others that he had seen the chronograph at Scott's bank whilst picking up the stopwatch, and taken a photo of it with Scott's permission.
After a big debate here:. http://www.mybulova.com/forums/bulova-c ... -apollo-15

I got in touch with the owner of mybulova and told him I had found the owner of the stopwatch on another website, and gotten the guy's email address. After my talking with Stephen from mybulova, he contacted the owner of the stopwatch, who contacted Commander Scott, asking for permission to publish the photo of the never before seen chronograph wristwatch, and permission was granted.

My small part in the 'coming out' of the chronograph still gives me a kick.
Never got a free watch from Bulova though! :)
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » December 5th 2017, 11:58pm

I have commented on the worn and wound article, whether it gets published is another thing...

Here is the Bulova 1971 patent for the moon watch, check the date and compare to the flight date of Apollo15, although applied for two years prior it was granted the day after launch. Possibly for secrecy?

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Return to Bulova & Accutron