Omega homage from Borealis

Micro-Brands discussed here

Omega homage from Borealis

Postby JAS1125 » November 13th 2017, 8:29am

https://www.borealiswatch.com/store/Pre ... 00adffcd51

I've actually heard good things about Borealis.

JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Re: Omega homage from Borealis

Postby koimaster » November 13th 2017, 9:27am

Good watches for the price and then some IMHO.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=38647

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby AJC » November 13th 2017, 10:38am

koimaster wrote:Good watches for the price and then some IMHO.

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=38647

Sharp looking watches. Not too fond of the Swiss markings at 6 o'clock... but nonetheless looks nicer than 90% of micro-divers out there.

(I still like my PRS-82 better ;) )
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » November 13th 2017, 11:09am

The blue model at the link is a nice looking watch... 9015, A/R sapphire crystal and lumed sapphire bezel, super luminova, rugged looking bracelet (rubber straps included with a pre-order- 41mm's a good size for me and @ $430 it's a great deal. What's not to like? Given Koi's thumbs-up, I just might have to make an exception to my no pre-orders policy and pick one'a those up.
Last edited by 3Flushes on November 13th 2017, 11:55am, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby conjurer » November 13th 2017, 11:22am

Pre-order with money down? No, thanks. I've heard good things about the brand as well, but if they need upfront money to do business, they ain't getting no business from me.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » November 13th 2017, 12:45pm

3Flushes wrote:The blue model at the link is a nice looking watch... 9015, A/R sapphire crystal and lumed sapphire bezel, super luminova, rugged looking bracelet (rubber straps included with a pre-order- 41mm's a good size for me and @ $430 it's a great deal. What's not to like? Given Koi's thumbs-up, I just might have to make an exception to my no pre-orders policy and pick one'a those up.

conjurer wrote:Pre-order with money down? No, thanks. I've heard good things about the brand as well, but if they need upfront money to do business, they ain't getting no business from me.

To my knowledge Borealis has never failed to deliver on time and a product that is well made. Just my opinion of course but I agree with John on one thing, I seldom will do a pre-order unless it is a trusted firm with a record or I really like the product. Marloe, Borealis, Stowa are those I would send money to at this point.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby biglove » November 13th 2017, 1:33pm

Blue no date is quiet tempting. Can’t decide if I like the white vs old radium lume.

Nice price and the size is sweet.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby bedlam » November 13th 2017, 4:32pm

Get back to me when there is an actual product, not just a drawing of one, and it's more than a cheap knockoff of someone else's work.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » November 13th 2017, 5:35pm

bedlam wrote:Get back to me when there is an actual product, not just a drawing of one, and it's more than a cheap knockoff of someone else's work.

I'm with bed on this one. It's ... all right. But at this price point, I'd want better than "all right." 9015 is cool, but, I can get a Seiko auto diver for that money seven days a week without the blatant style lift - and I don't have to pay the company to make it, then have to wait for it.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby codguy » November 14th 2017, 5:47am

bedlam wrote: it's more than a cheap knockoff of someone else's work.

TemerityB wrote:the blatant style lift

That ^.
And once produced, it will be posted here........

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1493&hilit=knock+off

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby Hawk » November 14th 2017, 9:08am

I'm not into the thing but I'd be conflicted.

Right now it's not a watch, it's a picture of a watch. I'm tempted to offer them a picture of money as a deposit.
It's derivative.
It's associated with a Facebook group.
It's using an Asian movement which in this case I view as a positive as it will circumvent their practice of putting "Swiss STP 1-11" on the dial which I find to be both mostly honest yet nonetheless hinky - I'd be interested in the Swiss FH's take on the practice vis-à-vis their trademark.
It invites me to be a venture capitalist with no compensation other than a watch I could buy elsewhere for the same amount of money.

There's just not enough "there" there for me to reach for the wallet. They may well be the Mother Theresa of pre-order watch companies but at the core there's no real difference between a pre-order and Stan going to Kickstarter to fund Air Blue. As I recall we were unkind when Stain did it.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby Pubbie » November 14th 2017, 9:19am

Hawk wrote:It's derivative.

Wouldn't be surprised if SwatchCo sent a hit squad of boring lawyers to assassinate them in their beds.
It's associated with a Facebook group.

Bleaugh. That's enough to make me want to run a mile in the other direction...
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby labman » November 14th 2017, 10:37am

bedlam wrote:Get back to me when there is an actual product, not just a drawing of one, and it's more than a cheap knockoff of someone else's work.

The Borealis Estoril 300 already exits as an actual pruduct - here is one up for grabs at WUS

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fso-bo ... 72479.html

This "new" offering they are doing looks to be the same watch with "DW" and a diver profile on the dial made for the Facebook Group known as Divers Watch

http://www.diverswatchesgroup.com/
labman
Watchlord WIS

Postby codguy » November 14th 2017, 12:05pm

labman wrote:The Borealis Estoril 300 already exits as an actual pruduct - here is one up for grabs at WUS

The indices are different between the one on WUS and the DW "sketch" version......

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby AJC » November 14th 2017, 12:37pm

Hawk wrote: I'd be interested in the Swiss FH's take on the practice vis-à-vis their trademark.

Ditto

codguy wrote:
bedlam wrote: it's more than a cheap knockoff of someone else's work.

TemerityB wrote:the blatant style lift

That ^.
And once produced, it will be posted here........

http://www.watchlords.com/forum/viewtop ... =knock+off

Thank you Photobucket. That legendary thread is now destroyed...
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby Hawk » November 14th 2017, 1:24pm

labman wrote:...
This "new" offering they are doing looks to be the same watch with "DW" and a diver profile on the dial made for the Facebook Group known as Divers Watch

http://www.diverswatchesgroup.com/

I can picture some really spirited debates springing from that observation, mostly involving "which is the lower form of horology, a "forum watch" or a "facebook group watch". Then we can sort out which is the more distasteful - pre-order or Kickstarter.

One could picture it having some appeal to a member of the group but to a non-member it's simply confusing as the markings would be meaningless. At least an "Estoril 300" suggests a Portuguese Beach town and a 300 meter water resistance. That thing in front of DW could be a scuba profile, a split "I" or some other stylized "something" without meaning to non-members.

Methinks the sales of the product will be bound at the wrist and ankles by the membership count of DW. Quite unlike PADI which is international and pre-dated social media.
When two opposite points of view are expressed with equal intensity, the truth does not necessarily lie exactly halfway between them. It is possible for one side to be simply wrong.

— Richard Dawkins, evolutionary biologist
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby labman » November 15th 2017, 9:30am

codguy wrote:
labman wrote:The Borealis Estoril 300 already exits as an actual pruduct - here is one up for grabs at WUS

The indices are different between the one on WUS and the DW "sketch" version......

True - they are offering quite a few versions with different colors, lume and indices.

Hawk wrote:...Methinks the sales of the product will be bound at the wrist and ankles by the membership count of DW. Quite unlike PADI which is international and pre-dated social media.

No doubt.
labman
Watchlord WIS

Return to Micro-Brands