Thinking about changing up the collection.

Thinking about changing up the collection.

Postby AJC » November 13th 2017, 10:48am

I want to sell off 3 or 4 watches and pick up these two.

Tag Aquagraph ($1000-1500 used)

Seiko Presage SPB043 ($479 new)

I won't go into the specs of the watches, look them up.

Wondering if there is something I'm missing in these price ranges that might be better.

Opinions? Ideas?
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Re: Thinking about changing up the collection.

Postby conjurer » November 13th 2017, 11:24am

Two good choices--a sports watch and a dress watch. You wouldn't go wrong with either. I'd be careful buying a used chronograph, though, unless you know the seller good.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » November 13th 2017, 11:54am

Both great choices AJ- the TAG is a great looking chrono and a lot of watch for the money, especially pre-owned.

I have the JDM SARW011 with the 6r27. The export model which is identical can be had on Amazon for just under/over $800. The 6r27 is dead on accurate- mine runs +/- about 2 seconds a day (currently +5 over three days). it's 8 bps (28.800), hacks and hand winds. The 011 also comes on a really nice croc strap. Either is a great choice, but I thought you might want to consider the 011 given the movement and the money they can be had for O/L. I think LIW also has them, but I haven't checked the price there lately.

EDIT: IDK if your're set on a black dial, but LIW has the SARW025 for $799- arabic numerals, 12 o'clock in red, on crocogator- if you want to take a look...

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Seiko_SARW025_Watch_p/sarw025.htm
Last edited by 3Flushes on November 13th 2017, 12:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Thunder1 » November 13th 2017, 12:08pm

I'm a huge fan of the Seiko Presage line, specifically those w/ the 6rXX movements...I think you'd have a tough time finding better value...
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AJC » November 13th 2017, 12:41pm

conjurer wrote:Two good choices--a sports watch and a dress watch. You wouldn't go wrong with either. I'd be careful buying a used chronograph, though, unless you know the seller good.

Yeah I'm definitely going to take my time with the Aquagraph. The Seiko can be had new from a few sites for $479 with warranty.

3Flushes wrote:Both great choices AJ- the TAG is a great looking chrono and a lot of watch for the money, especially pre-owned.

I have the JDM SARW011 with the 6r27. The export model which is identical can be had on Amazon for just under/over $800. The 6r27 is dead on accurate- mine runs +/- about 2 seconds a day (currently +5 over three days). it's 8 bps (28.800), hacks and hand winds. The 011 also comes on a really nice croc strap. Either is a great choice, but I thought you might want to consider the 011 given the movement and the money they can be had for O/L. I think LIW also has them, but I haven't checked the price there lately.

EDIT: IDK if your're set on a black dial, but LIW has the SARW025 for $799- arabic numerals, 12 o'clock in red, on crocogator- if you want to take a look...

https://www.longislandwatch.com/Seiko_SARW025_Watch_p/sarw025.htm

The movement is what sold me on the Seiko. (That and the crystal... 4hz movement with power reserve and date subdial and AR sapphire were unheard of from Seiko at this price for awhile) I wanted the Laurel version that you're talking about for awhile (excellent recommendation) until I fell in love with the black dial on the bracelet. I'd like to see the Laurel version on a bracelet... I have a few white/cream dial dress watches on straps already.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby biglove » November 13th 2017, 1:19pm

If you haven’t given the Certina chronos a look, do so.

For grey market they are absolutely fantastic.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby tiktok » November 13th 2017, 2:34pm

I am not a fan of Tag so I won't comment, the Presage is MONEY, only thing comparable would be a different Presage variation. Happy hunting! I personally way prefer the dark dial Presages to the enamel white dials.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AJC » November 14th 2017, 5:28am

biglove wrote:If you haven’t given the Certina chronos a look, do so.

For grey market they are absolutely fantastic.

I just checked them out. Some good looking pieces! But I still like the Aquagraph better. Pushers work under water which is a cool function that I'll never use but I want. I love the all brushed utilitarian look, and the movement with the Depraz module on top provides a large chrono minute hand which I've only seen on a vintage LeMania movement (the caliber escapes me).

tiktok wrote:I am not a fan of Tag so I won't comment, the Presage is MONEY, only thing comparable would be a different Presage variation. Happy hunting! I personally way prefer the dark dial Presages to the enamel white dials.

I'm not a Tag Heuer fan either, this is the only model since Heuer that I like. And I like it a lot.
Maybe once I buy one and have the WR tested I'll send it to Carl and he can get some underwater shots, and actually use the underwater pushers, like he did after I sold him my Orient Poseidon. I loved seeing my Poseidon in it's natural habitat...

-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby AJC » November 14th 2017, 12:43pm

I know this thread probably would fit in better over at WUS, but I've been out of the loop for a while.

I think I'm set on these 2 unless someone has something else that would be a better option.

There's plenty of stuff that has come out that I'm just now seeing and want to know if I missed any cool product.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » November 14th 2017, 2:01pm

The Tag is a freaking beast!! That's a great choice for a whippersnapper such as yourself.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby AJC » November 15th 2017, 7:38am

After getting some advice from two of the longest standing and most knowledgeable members this site has ever seen, I've decided to unfortunately drop the Tag Aquagraph from my list.

I knew an automatic chronograph would be expensive in the repair department but apparently the Aquagraph is a little over the top for me. With the rarer movement and technology put into this watch, Tag charges out the ass for any repairs.

So my list is down to the SPB043 which I still think can't be beat for $479. On the hunt for a diver in the $1,000-1,500 range (used or new). Or I can say fuck the diver, combine the funds and get one of these brand new...

If only it wasn't 42mm.

Any opinions are still welcome as I comb watchrecon for ideas.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » November 15th 2017, 8:18am

foghorn wrote:The Tag is a freaking beast!! That's a great choice for a whippersnapper such as yourself.

Or not :oops:

I never factor in service.
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby Thunder1 » November 15th 2017, 8:46am

AJC wrote:After getting some advice from two of the longest standing and most knowledgeable members this site has ever seen, I've decided to unfortunately drop the Tag Aquagraph from my list.

I knew an automatic chronograph would be expensive in the repair department but apparently the Aquagraph is a little over the top for me. With the rarer movement and technology put into this watch, Tag charges out the ass for any repairs.

So my list is down to the SPB043 which I still think can't be beat for $479. On the hunt for a diver in the $1,000-1,500 range (used or new). Or I can say fuck the diver, combine the funds and get one of these brand new...

If only it wasn't 42mm.

Any opinions are still welcome as I comb watchrecon for ideas.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hamilton-Khaki ... Sw8b1aCPKN

Tough to beat this Hammy if auction price doesn't get much more than $520.00...38mm SS case..brand new, owner has 100% feedback..
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby svaglic » November 15th 2017, 9:55am

With black Friday near, check out the offerings. You may stumble on a hella deal and see something that changes your mind. Have you checked out Ashford.com pre-owned? They have a great variety and some decent prices.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » November 15th 2017, 10:19am

I can vouch for Ashfords Certified pre - owned. I got this Certina pre owned (it stated store model,pristine condition) and it looked better than new. Not a hint of human contact.

GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Postby AJC » November 15th 2017, 10:41am

Thunder, I've owned a Khaki Field three hand before so I'll have to pass on that one. Great deal though!

Foggy, I've been checking Ashford pre-owned daily. Nothing I've had to have yet.

I have plenty of watches like that Certina... Not dress watches, not sports or divers but I guess you can call them casual dress. I'll be selling a couple in that genre and I think the Seiko fits in that category as well.

I'm looking for a real, honest diver in the $1000-1500 range, preferably used at that price from an honest seller. Something with no or very little polished finish. Something akin to the Aquagraph that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg for service.

I want a diver that puts everything in my collection to shame.

But then that FC Slimline Moonphase I showed is incredibly tempting if I go in the completely opposite direction. I just think I'd wear the diver more with how I dress.

Hmmm.... Back to watchrecon for ideas. I just have an itch to change things up. I'm sick of looking at the same group of $500ish watches with the same movement in my watch box.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby AJC » November 15th 2017, 10:55am

The Longines Legend Diver is definitely a contender but I have to handle one first.

Jomashop has them for $1549. I believe there is an AD about 30 minutes north of me.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » November 15th 2017, 11:05am

AJC wrote:The Longines Legend Diver is definitely a contender but I have to handle one first.

Jomashop has them for $1549. I believe there is an AD about 30 minutes north of me.

I've handled one. It's on my very short "last watch I'll probably ever buy" list. My local AD had one for 40 percent off, I waited too long, and some other lucky MF grabbed it. It's just a well made, cool watch that's probably bupkis as an actual diver but it's just snazzy for days.

And, as one of the few Tag fans anywhere, it seems, I'd take that one as well. It will be interesting to see where all this leads. Man - if you can score an Aquagraph for a grand, you've done well.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Thunder1 » November 15th 2017, 12:09pm

AJC wrote:The Longines Legend Diver is definitely a contender but I have to handle one first.

1 hour left, owner has 100% positive feedback..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Longines-Legen ... SwnCFaA2dB

4 days left, owner has 100% positive feedback..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Longines-Legen ... SwiBJaB0lS
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS

Postby AntFarm » November 15th 2017, 3:31pm

I've had a Longines Legend on my wrist at Tourneau. It really is a great watch. Get to that place and try one on, You will be sold. It's on my list too. I love your Seiko choice too. I almost picked up one of those until I picked up tiktoks SARX029.
AntFarm
Watchlord WIS

Postby svaglic » November 15th 2017, 3:36pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39417&hilit=Longines+legend
Ask relaxer7 about his. He's had it long enough to give an honest opinion.

I love this watch and keep searching for a grand deal on one.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby svaglic » November 15th 2017, 4:09pm

Or.... Get your Seiko and save a bit more for an Omega diver. Would that hit the spot?
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby relaxer7 » November 17th 2017, 9:02am

I bought the Legend Diver as a stop gap to use on holiday and was ultimately was gonna sell it on once I had some more funds to upgrade. Truth be told it was a watch that never made me say "yes! I need one!" It just ticked every box for a sea and sand holiday and could be dressed up of an evening when having dinner.
Anyhow, once it turned up and I realised it was really quite special. It's grown on me more and more and now it's a keeper.
It kind of just all works really well together and also suits a variety of straps too. In short, buy one. I got mine pre-owned for just less than 1000 of you're American dollars :)

relaxer7
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Falstaff » November 17th 2017, 10:07am

I'd say go for the Aquagraph. That's the one you really want. As far as expensive service - a little perspective: yes, you'll have to worry about that in 20 years. During the intervening 19 years, 11 months and 29 days you wear it and enjoy it. After all, the sun may blow up before then.
"Come and take them!"
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby foghorn » November 17th 2017, 10:13am

Falstaff wrote:I'd say go for the Aquagraph. That's the one you really want. As far as expensive service - a little perspective: yes, you'll have to worry about that in 20 years. During the intervening 19 years, 11 months and 29 days you wear it and enjoy it. After all, the sun may blow up before then.

A used Aquagraph might need service now. Depends on the previous owners track record.
Out of production /used watches should be taken at face value and it's up to the new owner to get them "game ready" (depending on what the game is)
GET OFF MY LAWN

foghorn
Founding Member

Next

Return to General Watch talk