The History Of Presidential Watches

The History Of Presidential Watches

Postby spanky1 » November 10th 2017, 4:57am

spanky1
Senior Member & WIS

Re: The History Of Presidential Watches

Postby foghorn » November 10th 2017, 5:23am

That might be the first Hoodincky article I read to the end.

Thanks,good stuff.
GET OFF MY LAWN

Finding out the time is about as difficult as finding a cheesburger.
boneyguy, Sep 12, 2007 #12
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby JAS1125 » November 10th 2017, 8:36am

I've read these Presidential watches articles before, but this one seemed more detailed.
Thanks for sharing!
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » November 10th 2017, 2:18pm

The segment on Lincoln was great.

Apparently Dillon's "clear" memory about what he inscribed under the dial in 1861 was only about as good as his claim to his former remarkable eyesight in the NY Times story. It seems to me that the second inscription (1864) must have been added during a later servicing of the watch as a private joke of the watchmaker, apparently a confederate sympathizer given the JD reference.

Fun stuff.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » November 10th 2017, 9:28pm

Why the fuck would anyone care what watch a politician wore? I truly can't fathom that shit at all.

"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby biglove » November 10th 2017, 9:46pm

bedlam wrote:Why the fuck would anyone care what watch a politician wore? I truly can't fathom that shit at all.

I think it is an appreciation of the Office of POTUS. Couldn’t care what the average politician wore but is different with our Presidents. After all, he is the most powerful man on the planet while in office.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby bedlam » November 10th 2017, 9:55pm

biglove wrote:
bedlam wrote:Why the fuck would anyone care what watch a politician wore? I truly can't fathom that shit at all.

I think it is an appreciation of the Office of POTUS. Couldn’t care what the average politician wore but is different with our Presidents. After all, he is the most powerful man on the planet while in office.

Yanks do seem more beholden to their elected leader. For Aussies the PM title just means you are first amongst idiots. You have to earn respect by actually doing something worthy. The office/title doesn't count for much...and I certainly don't give a fuck what watch an office holder wore.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » November 10th 2017, 10:30pm

I don't really give a rats ass what any of these douchebags wear.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby conjurer » November 10th 2017, 10:36pm

bedlam wrote:
biglove wrote:

Yanks do seem more beholden to their elected leader. For Aussies the PM title just means you are first amongst idiots. You have to earn respect by actually doing something worthy. The office/title doesn't count for much...and I certainly don't give a fuck what watch an office holder wore.

Goddamn it, Carl! We're WISs! We write Tolstoy novels about what watches second-rate fictional characters wear!!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » November 11th 2017, 12:34am

conjurer wrote:
bedlam wrote:
biglove wrote:

Goddamn it, Carl! We're WISs! We write Tolstoy novels about what watches second-rate fictional characters wear!!

Don't get me started on that shit :scratch:

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby artman » November 11th 2017, 12:40am

I enjoyed that article very much.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Return to General Watch talk