What Your Watch Says About You

What Your Watch Says About You

Postby koimaster » July 14th 2017, 8:48am

Your watch reveals your personality. Do you wear a Rolex Submariner or a Patek Philippe Calatrava? Do you prefer the classic side of an IWC Portugieser chronograph or the red gold of a Hublot Big Bang? Discover how watches characterize their owner.

http://www.chrono24.fr/magazine/ce-que- ... content=FR

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: What Your Watch Says About You

Postby smellody » July 14th 2017, 8:59am

Agree. Even if in French.

smellody
Founding Member - WIS

Postby foghorn » July 14th 2017, 9:59am

My French isn't that good so I have no clue what that pretentious frog wrote but fuck him and the bateau he came over on.
GET OFF MY LAWN
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby koimaster » July 14th 2017, 10:09am

foghorn wrote:My French isn't that good so I have no clue what that pretentious frog wrote but fuck him and the bateau he came over on.

Geez. Google translate is on the google toolbar. Get it, install it, love it. http://www.google.com/toolbar/ie/index.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby tiktok » July 14th 2017, 11:42am

tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby PiningforElgin » July 14th 2017, 11:55am

Wealthy snobs. No mention of more affordable brands?

Among owners of *relatively" affordable watches there may be a personality difference also possibly, i.e. a Raymond Weil owner vs. a Hammy owner, vs. a Seiko owner
PiningforElgin

Postby biglove » July 14th 2017, 2:05pm

PiningforElgin wrote:Wealthy snobs. No mention of more affordable brands?

Among owners of *relatively" affordable watches there may be a personality difference also possibly, i.e. a Raymond Weil owner vs. a Hammy owner, vs. a Seiko owner

You really take these sorts of articles with any degree of seriousness? They are about as accurate as a freaking horoscope. Generalizations, vague statements and hokum.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby 3Flushes » July 14th 2017, 2:12pm

The "article" reads more like a promo aimed at wealthy people for the featured brands.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby PiningforElgin » July 15th 2017, 11:44am

biglove wrote:

You really take these sorts of articles with any degree of seriousness? They are about as accurate as a freaking horoscope. Generalizations, vague statements and hokum.

At least horoscopes are not aimed just at people making 6+ figures and can't count how many houses or LLCs they own!
PiningforElgin

Postby biglove » July 15th 2017, 11:51am

PiningforElgin wrote:
biglove wrote:

At least horoscopes are not aimed just at people making 6+ figures and can't count how many houses or LLCs they own!

Considering the relative affordability of a number of manufacturers on that list, this makes no sense. ALL articles that generalize personality according to the auto you drive, watch/shoes/shirt/tie you wear, how you squat to take a dump, etc are ALL bullshit. Horoscopes are no better.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby AJC » July 15th 2017, 12:51pm

What's that? Spanish or some shit? Take that shit over the wall!
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby TemerityB » July 15th 2017, 2:22pm

koimaster wrote:
foghorn wrote:My French isn't that good so I have no clue what that pretentious frog wrote but fuck him and the bateau he came over on.

Geez. Google translate is on the google toolbar. Get it, install it, love it. http://www.google.com/toolbar/ie/index.html

Fun fact: You can also right click from anywhere on the page and click where it says "translate" if you're using a Chrome browser.
Cheapjack Horology Impossible To Disprove Drizzling BS O' The Week:
"I've been a fan of this company, these watches, for many, many years." - Skip Connelly on Glycine
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby foghorn » July 15th 2017, 2:33pm

And when you translate you get crap like

" Perfectionist at heart, he bends to a discipline of iron and expects from his entourage that he adopts the same irreproachable conduct."

I stand by my first post. And screw youse if ya cant take a joke. (translated -"fornicate personally if you want not flippant")
GET OFF MY LAWN
foghorn
Founding Member

Postby eddiea » July 17th 2017, 7:05am

For those of you with issues with the French language , here is the article in English.....

http://www.chrono24.com/magazine/what-y ... -3-p_1358/
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all"…Papa.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby PiningforElgin » July 17th 2017, 11:00am

biglove wrote:
Considering the relative affordability of a number of manufacturers on that list, this makes no sense. ALL articles that generalize personality according to the auto you drive, watch/shoes/shirt/tie you wear, how you squat to take a dump, etc are ALL bullshit. Horoscopes are no better.

By "relative affordability" you meant Tag? FP Journe? Hublot?

All those watches are over $1000 (probably except the crap quartz Tag you can find on grey). To expect any working class people to spend $1000 on a watch is madness. Horoscopes are for all social classes, it's democratic at least
PiningforElgin

Postby BigCheez » July 17th 2017, 1:59pm

PiningforElgin wrote:
biglove wrote:

All those watches are over $1000 (probably except the crap quartz Tag you can find on grey). To expect any working class people to spend $1000 on a watch is madness. Horoscopes are for all social classes, it's democratic at least

Why so worked up? It's a dumb article, and I've owned a number of the watches he mentions.

Not worth your time, IMO
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Postby biglove » July 17th 2017, 2:40pm

PiningforElgin wrote:
biglove wrote:

I AM working class and I own a number of watches that were well iver$1K. To suggest that those with the discipline to save for and buy nice things is somehow unrealistic for working people is just goofy
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby iwasbanned » July 17th 2017, 3:02pm

BigCheez wrote:Why so worked up? It's a dumb article, and I've owned a number of the watches he mentions.

Not worth your time, IMO

Yep. Same here in owning our having owned those brands. It's entertainment folks. It's also opinion, not fact. So relax.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » July 17th 2017, 3:15pm

PiningforElgin wrote:
biglove wrote:

In cases like this Pining, is always best to speak for yourself, most often than not , generalizing have a way to make for a flawed commentary .....
“I want to get to Key West and away from it all"…Papa.
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby Britboy » July 17th 2017, 3:18pm

Did that happen because I'm English?
French, huh..
Britboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Britboy » July 17th 2017, 3:20pm

eddiea wrote:For those of you with issues with the French language , here is the article in English.....

http://www.chrono24.com/magazine/what-y ... -3-p_1358/

Thank you.
Britboy
Senior Member & WIS

Postby BigCheez » July 17th 2017, 3:24pm

For the cost conscious:

If you own an Invicta: you're probably fat
If you own a Stuhrling: you think a ronko chicken is haute cousine
If you own a Sottomarino: you only have nine toes

Hey, I already know conjurer could do a better job...
BigCheez
ASSHAT

Postby Tzimisces » July 17th 2017, 4:55pm

If you can't afford any of these watches you have no soul which can be analyzed. Get a penny jar or a Visa FFS.
“He was a dreamer, a thinker, a speculative philosopher... or, as his wife would have it, an idiot.”
Tzimisces
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » July 17th 2017, 6:38pm

Tzimisces wrote:If you can't afford any of these watches you have no soul which can be analyzed. Get a penny jar or a Visa FFS.

Or better yet a Discover with double cash back the first year. We got back a total of $2400 our first year. Now for the second year we opened one in my wife's name and use it for most everything.

This month's (not counting the year end match) was $96. Last month it was $125.

That's a free used Omega SMP every year. No fees and I pay that shit off weekly.

The only things we don't put on it are house/car note and electric/gas/water and that's because those companies won't let me.

And we use eBates for online. That's another $100/yr and eBay cashback is another $50.

Be smart with your money and you get to get free ass cash.
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby iwasbanned » July 17th 2017, 6:52pm

I just get credit cards, run them up to their limits and then don't pay. Suckers keep giving me credit.
iwasbanned
Master of Time

Next

Return to General Watch talk