Hands-On: A softer shape – the Bulgari Octo Roma

Watches from Other EU countries

Hands-On: A softer shape – the Bulgari Octo Roma

Postby Racer-X » July 15th 2017, 8:01pm

by Cameron Wong "When in Rome, do as the Romans do”, rather ironically, is not a saying that appears to be said very often around the watch design department at Bulgari. In the last few years the brand’s unique Octo collection has thrust them to the forefront of watch manufacturing, not only technically – with record-breaking pieces like the thinnest tourbillon, the thinnest minute repeater, and the thinnest automatic movement – but aesthetically as well, with unique eight-sided case designs inspired by the octagonal motifs adorning the domed ceilings of the Basilica of Maxentius in Rome. This year, creating what Bulgari refer to as the “fifth element” of the Octo line, they have released the Octo Roma, with a softer take on this bold, masculine case design."

Article at Time & Tide

Photo credit Time and Tide
Racer-X
Senior Member & WIS

Re: Hands-On: A softer shape – the Bulgari Octo Roma

Postby eddiea » July 16th 2017, 9:05am

love Bvlgari, class!......About the Octo, a bit of his history....
"The Octo transcends this trope thanks to its impeccable lineage; it was designed by the legendary Gérald Genta, the Swiss genius who was also responsible for horological icons like the Omega Constellation (1959), Audemars Piguet Royal Oak (1970), IWC Ingenieur (1976), Patek Philippe Nautilus (1976) and Cartier Pasha de Cartier (1985). The Octo, which shares much of its DNA with the Royal Oak. It was originally produced under Genta’s own name before he sold his company to Bulgari in 1999. This gave their fledgling watch business instant credibility."

https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-blog/ ... tches.html
“Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine…”
eddiea
Founding Member - WIS

Postby tiktok » July 16th 2017, 1:24pm

thanks for the history lesson eddiea. I doubt there's enough can be said about Gerald Genta and how he modernized watch design. I had the Gefica before the Bvlgari merger and am now trying to fill space in my watch box with a Nautilus or RO. Genta came up with the Royal Oak design after watching commercial divers in their helmets which inspired the design. At first I was concerned about Bvlgari buying the brand but now the watches speak for themselves.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby conjurer » July 16th 2017, 3:22pm

Not my style at all, but one would have to be blind as a Bvlgarian not to see the quality.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby AJC » July 17th 2017, 4:35am

Oooh. I like this BvIghary!
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Return to European Watch Making