Peter Speake-Marin leaves his company

Luxury and Independent Watch brands

Peter Speake-Marin leaves his company

Postby koimaster » June 17th 2017, 10:15am

Seventeen years after setting up shop as an English watchmaker in Switzerland, Peter Speake-Marin has left the brand, according to Swiss newspaper 24 heures.

While only just made public, his withdrawal was mutually agreed with the company’s shareholders and in the works for some time; your correspondent was made aware of it some months ago. It is a consequence of the ups and downs of the business over the years. Having sold stakes in the Speake-Marin SA over the years, particularly in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis, Speake-Marin himself no longer owned a piece of the brand he founded.

http://watchesbysjx.com/2017/06/peter-s ... marin.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Peter Speake-Marin leaves his company

Postby eddiea » June 17th 2017, 10:55am

I don't follow the brand closely so I didn't know Speake-Marin made "several lines of more affordable timepieces powered by ETA movements", indeed that cheapens a brand that I thought was the quintessential small high-end venture...really a shame
“Sitting on a sofa on a Sunday afternoon going to the candidates' debate, laugh about it, shout about it, when you've got to choose
every way you look at this you lose."

eddiea
Founding Member - WIS

Postby TemerityB » June 17th 2017, 6:12pm

Pierce Brosnan endures yet another drive-by fruiting.
"No way was I ever going over to the dark side of WL." – Abraham-Louis Brequet
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby conjurer » June 17th 2017, 9:40pm

TemerityB wrote:Pierce Brosnan endures yet another drive-by fruiting.

Speake-Marin SA is now owned by the Rosnoblet family, whose €250m fortune derives from their ownership of Provencia, a franchisee of the Carrefour hypermarket chain in the Rhône-Alpes region of France.

This sentence made my butt pucker!!
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT

Postby tiktok » June 18th 2017, 4:09am

I don't know about a brand tied to a watchmaker unraveling. I know Bvlgari gobbled up Gerald Genta and Daniel Roth and Montblanc put the Minerva movements to good use but nothing positive came for the original designers after joining a big brand. My Gefica by Genta lost serious value, like fifty percent after, even worse was my purchase of a Nubeo Jelly fish for which no parts will exist in the future. I took a bleeding bath.
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby biglove » June 18th 2017, 7:21am

tiktok wrote:I don't know about a brand tied to a watchmaker unraveling. I know Bvlgari gobbled up Gerald Genta and Daniel Roth and Montblanc put the Minerva movements to good use but nothing positive came for the original designers after joining a big brand. My Gefica by Genta lost serious value, like fifty percent after, even worse was my purchase of a Nubeo Jelly fish for which no parts will exist in the future. I took a bleeding bath.

One would hope the original owner made enough profit in the buyout to not really care what happens to the brand? Build brand, sell off brand, pocket cash, work for new owners making more cash, wait for non-compete clause to expire, start up new brand.

Lather, rinse, repeat. Profit
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Luxury & Independent Watchmakers