Charting the Rise of Chinese Watchmaking

Asian Made & Swiss Asian watches

Charting the Rise of Chinese Watchmaking

Postby koimaster » August 7th 2017, 8:39am

Watch collectors are naturally familiar with SIHH and Baselworld, but the Asian equivalent is less well known. Taking place annually in the Shenzhen, the metropolis that borders Hong Kong, the China Watch & Clock Fair (CWCF) happened in late June inside the Shenzhen Convention and Exhibition Centre. A vast event with over 60,000 visitors annually in recent years, the CWCF is the largest watch and jewellery exhibition in Mainland China, and the third largest worldwide. Only Baselworld and the Hong Kong Watch & Clock Fair count more visitors.

Now in its 28th year, the CWCF has a thoroughly international exhibitor list. Swiss movement makers ETA and Ronda both had booths inside, as did Citizen-owned Miyota; this year’s CWCF was also the first with independent watchmakers of the AHCI. (The main hall of the CWCF 2017 is pictured above.)

http://watchesbysjx.com/2017/08/chartin ... -fair.html

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Charting the Rise of Chinese Watchmaking

Postby biglove » August 7th 2017, 2:58pm

Some nice looking movement pics. Some interesting watches.

I fail to understand the obsession with tourbillion movements, especially as presented in what are often ugly ass watches.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby PiningforElgin » August 7th 2017, 3:05pm

biglove wrote:Some nice looking movement pics. Some interesting watches.

I fail to understand the obsession with tourbillion movements, especially as presented in what are often ugly ass watches.

Not ugly, just way overpriced
PiningforElgin

Postby AlbertaTime » August 7th 2017, 3:31pm

Nice to see the Fair getting more recognition. It's worth a visit.

And, I agree with biglove about "ugly ass" tourbillons. There are lots of great looking Chinese tourbilons, but attention often gets paid to the monstrous. For example, this Longio is industrial looking, without being bizarre--and I loved having it on my wrist. With the exception of the classy Beijing in the article, not so much love for the others.

Part of the Chinese "obsession" with tourbillons is that they're (deservedly) seen as a sign of technological achievement for domestic Chinese companies. Especially since watches are still a big "thing" in China, and I think that really goes back to Cultural Revolution times when they were scarce and expensive, and owning one was sign of real accomplishment--and a sign of an ability to save money, which at the time was very difficult. Just surviving took everything earned, for most people. See "the things that go round" that I've mentioned here before, in my own article about the 2014 visit to CWCF. CWCF: AlbertaTime China visit #3, Post #12 - The rest of CWC fair).

(I met watchmaker Zehua Tan/AHCI--mentioned in the SJX article--at that Fair, too.

Curator: Alberta Museum of Chinese Horology in Peace River

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby AlbertaTime » August 7th 2017, 4:08pm

PiningforElgin wrote:Not ugly, just way overpriced

Keeping in mind that I do understand that value is always subjective, and relative to the valuer, many knowledgeable folks think that a dependable single tourbillon built by reputable (even if not Swiss) maker is quite fairly priced at about $2500 or so. The cheapest non-Chinese double tourbillon I found at Chrono24 was a Corum double, at $60-65,000, so $30,000 for the limited Peacock isn't stoopid, although I think it's kinda ugly.

Beijing and Sea-Gull both have nicer looking double tourbillons, in my view, and at the same or lower prices.
Last edited by AlbertaTime on August 7th 2017, 6:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

"That stone buddha deserves all the birdshit it gets. I wave my skinny arms like a tall flower in the wind." Ikkyu
AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby biglove » August 7th 2017, 5:33pm

PiningforElgin wrote:
biglove wrote:Some nice looking movement pics. Some interesting watches.

Not ugly, just way overpriced

Nope, reasonably priced for what they are. Aesthetically quite awful are those pictured in the article.
"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."-Robert A. Heinlein
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby PiningforElgin » August 7th 2017, 7:00pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:Not ugly, just way overpriced

Keeping in mind that I do understand that value is always subjective, and relative to the valuer, many knowledgeable folks think that a dependable single tourbillon built by reputable (even if not Swiss) maker is quite fairly priced at about $2500 or so. The cheapest non-Chinese double tourbillon I found at Chrono24 was a Corum double, at $60-65,000, so $30,000 for the limited Peacock isn't stoopid, although I think it's kinda ugly.

Beijing and Sea-Gull both have nicer looking double tourbillons, in my view, and at the same or lower prices.

I thought it was overpriced precisely because it's more $ than a Seagull tourbillion (which I thought was of a fair price). Just my subjective evaluation
PiningforElgin

Postby AlbertaTime » August 7th 2017, 10:37pm

PiningforElgin wrote:I thought it was overpriced precisely because it's more $ than a Seagull tourbillion (which I thought was of a fair price). Just my subjective evaluation

Certainly understandable.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » August 7th 2017, 10:42pm

AlbertaTime wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:I thought it was overpriced precisely because it's more $ than a Seagull tourbillion (which I thought was of a fair price). Just my subjective evaluation

Certainly understandable.

An important point, Mr. Time, is that most of us have no impressions of Chinese tourbillons apart from what we saw on American shopping television. It was here that we saw Android, Invicter, and Sturhling Unoriginal selling tourbies for $500-to a grand, made by God knows who. Thankfully, this trend has died.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby PiningforElgin » August 7th 2017, 11:28pm

conjurer wrote:
An important point, Mr. Time, is that most of us have no impressions of Chinese tourbillons apart from what we saw on American shopping television. It was here that we saw Android, Invicter, and Sturhling Unoriginal selling tourbies for $500-to a grand, made by God knows who. Thankfully, this trend has died.

Mr. Time can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the cheapo TV tourbies are made by Liaoning Watch Factory, which makes low price tourby movements that works as it should but are extremely unpolished
PiningforElgin

Postby AlbertaTime » August 7th 2017, 11:38pm

PiningforElgin wrote:
conjurer wrote:

Mr. Time can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think the cheapo TV tourbies are made by Liaoning Watch Factory, which makes low price tourby movements that works as it should but are extremely unpolished

Well, Liaoning makes cheaper tourbillons, certainly--but they do work as you noted, and the British Horological Institute's 150th Anniversary watch ran a Liaoning a 5010 tourbillon. That said, Liaoning is also a company in operation since 1957, and they're capable of much higher quality than their entry level tourbillons might lead one to think. Peacock has been one of Liaoning's upper level brands for a long time now, and I'm sure these are a step up from Liaoning's more pedestrian fare.

AlbertaTime
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » August 8th 2017, 3:33am

Very interesting links and discussions, about something I know very little of.
Thank you gents for expanding my knowledge by at least a bit!
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Return to Asian and Far East Watches