Nomos Ahoi - Reviewed On The Wrist

From Sothis to Blancier, all things German

Nomos Ahoi - Reviewed On The Wrist

Postby koimaster » September 27th 2017, 8:57am

This summer, I was given the opportunity to spend a few weeks with the Nomos Ahoi. I jumped at the chance, and I have assembled a collection of impressions to share with iW Magazine readers. My experience with the Ahoi commenced with an offbeat greeting for my FedEx delivery.

“Ahoi there, matey!” I couldn’t resist using my pirate voice when the Nomos Ahoi arrived in the mail from its home in Glashütte. After all, my goofy enthusiasm was probably merited since the upstart German brand Nomos has traditionally made dress watches. This sports/dive watch is a first for the brand. Truth be told, I’ve parted with most of the dive watches in my collection because I just didn’t find them dressy enough. So when looking through Nomos’ collection, I couldn’t resist wanting to get my hands on the Ahoi.

http://www.iwmagazine.com/on-the-wrist/ ... the-wrist/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Nomos Ahoi - Reviewed On The Wrist

Postby conjurer » September 27th 2017, 9:10am

Too big, no date, and a nylon strap, all for four grand. I'll pass.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » September 28th 2017, 6:25am

conjurer wrote:Too big, no date, and a nylon strap, all for four grand. I'll pass.

But... but it's on the internet! I am sure the writers of Honkdinkee and other advertorial infomerctainment paid content sinks got cramp during their frenzied reacharounds.

If couldn't get any hipper if Nomos did an internet Facebook special edition, launched it in an abandoned nuclear facility, narrowcasting it on Usenet and with a spambot as a brand ambassador. Hashtag "fuckoff"?
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby codguy » September 28th 2017, 6:30am

Great size and look..................

Then they put it on a fucking NATO strap

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

codguy
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 28th 2017, 12:14pm

40mm is a wee bit too much for that design, given that the watch is almost all dial, with a very, very narrow bezel. Cut it down by 2-3mm, and it'll be just fine.

In terms of the looks, I only don't like the pistachio-coloured lume, looks like something that the not particularly talented makers of Bombay Specials would use.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby eddiea » September 28th 2017, 1:38pm

Enjoyed mine, awesome movement and case work, perfect size , versatile 200 W/R, strap is the tits , only negative aspect of the watch for me was the lugs work
eddiea
Founding Member & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » September 28th 2017, 2:09pm

I guess I'm in the minority here. I still think Nomos is the bomb. Try one on. I don't like how this one is presented on its strap at ALL, but I'd keep the head and put something else on it - given, at 4 large, ya shouldn't have to.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby bedlam » September 28th 2017, 8:00pm

Not well proportioned, and batshit boring. They managed to jump onto a trend that felt tired 2 years ago!

If I never have to see another minimalist bauhaus wannabe 'timepiece' it would be fine with me.

And what kind of moron douche is gonna pay 4K for a Daniel Wellington look-a-like??
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » September 28th 2017, 8:15pm

bedlam wrote:Not well proportioned, and batshit boring. They managed to jump onto a trend that felt tired 2 years ago!

If I never have to see another minimalist bauhaus wannabe 'timepiece' it would be fine with me.

And what kind of moron douche is gonna pay 4K for a Daniel Wellington look-a-like??

"Douche" is such a hard word, Carl.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » September 29th 2017, 6:10am

conjurer wrote:
bedlam wrote:Not well proportioned, and batshit boring. They managed to jump onto a trend that felt tired 2 years ago!

You'd prefer 'rube'?
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » September 29th 2017, 6:12am

bedlam wrote:
conjurer wrote:

You'd prefer 'rube'?

Yeah, that works for me.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to German Watches