The Road Through Britain: Somlo Antiques

Watches with British & Commonwealth roots

The Road Through Britain: Somlo Antiques

Postby koimaster » October 18th 2016, 10:11am

If you want to purchase a vintage Omega timepiece from an authorized dealer, there’s literally only one shop in the entire world that can help you: Somlo Antiques & Omega Vintage. The little shop located at the northwest corner of the Burlington Arcade has very little to do with British watchmaking – other than the fact it’s owned and operated by an Englishman with a penchant for British pocket watches – but we just had to make a stop in London to see why it’s the destination for everything vintage Omega.

George Somlo has been selling antiques for more than 40 years, starting at the tender age of 13, when his father asked him to lend a helping hand at his shop on Portobello Road on the weekends. After briefly leaving the family business to pursue a career in accounting, Somlo returned to antiques, opening his first shop on Bond Street before transferring to the arcades nearby – first came the Piccadilly Arcade, and then in 2008 the Burlington Arcade.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/episo ... tage-omega

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: The Road Through Britain: Somlo Antiques

Postby Wasp » October 19th 2016, 6:13am

Oh-mee-gha I like that pronunciation. There is a reason why old Omegas are still around, because they are well built.
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Return to Hail Britannia