"It is a charity wrapped with dignity, my child”

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

"It is a charity wrapped with dignity, my child”

Postby koimaster » February 13th 2018, 12:43pm

She asked him, 'How much are you selling the eggs for?'
The old seller replied, '$.25 an egg, Madam.'
She said to him, 'I will take 6 eggs for $1.25 or I will leave.'
The old seller replied, 'Come take them at the price you want. Maybe, this is a good beginning because I have not been able to sell even a single egg today.'

She took the eggs and walked away feeling she has won. She got into her fancy car and went to a posh restaurant with her friend. There, she and her friend, ordered whatever they liked. They ate a little and left a lot of what they ordered. Then she went to pay the bill. The bill costed her $45.00 She gave $50.00 and asked the owner of the restaurant to keep the change.

This incident might have seemed quite normal to the owner but, very painful to the poor egg seller.

The point is,
Why do we always show we have the power when we buy from the needy ones? And why do we get generous to those who do not even need our generosity?

I once read somewhere:

'My father used to buy simple goods from poor people at high prices, even though he did not need them. Sometimes he even used to pay extra for them. I got concerned by this act and asked him why does he do so? Then my father replied, "It is a charity wrapped with dignity, my child”

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: "It is a charity wrapped with dignity, my child”

Postby Wasp » February 13th 2018, 1:23pm

Beautiful indeed. Willful charity. Presented in a most saintly way. I also enjoy givings in anonymity.

My bone head friend is somewhat unenlightened. He and his wife makes large donations to community causes at large community functions. The attended function and the donation are never related. They relish in the acknowledgement. I don't know how they miss the dozens of eye rolls. I want to crawl under the table.

Nice post Koi
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » February 13th 2018, 1:33pm

Thank you. Everyday when I drive to my office I have to go through what Salem calls a downtown. I stop and pick up my coffee from a local shop while all around are homeless folks, men and women and kids who left or were kicked out of their homes. Most sleep on the street, in doorways, under bridges or bushes near the river.

Most mornings I pay for my coffee and the cashier charges me for a few more. After I leave a shop employee goes outside and gives a few of the nearby homeless some coffee. it does not cost me much and others now do the same. A bastard I may be, but a little compassion for those less fortunate can go a long way to brighten their day at minimal cost. Well worth it.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby TemerityB » February 13th 2018, 2:38pm

Wasp wrote: I also enjoy givings in anonymity.

Good for you, Wasp.
Bet those Swiss Legend owners are so happy their "Sapphitek" crystals have a 10-year warranty. Oh, wait...
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Wasp » February 13th 2018, 2:41pm

Homeless twice. I get it.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bedlam » February 13th 2018, 4:53pm

koimaster wrote:Thank you. Everyday when I drive to my office I have to go through what Salem calls a downtown. I stop and pick up my coffee from a local shop while all around are homeless folks, men and women and kids who left or were kicked out of their homes. Most sleep on the street, in doorways, under bridges or bushes near the river.

Most mornings I pay for my coffee and the cashier charges me for a few more. After I leave the shop employee goes outside and gives a few of the nearby homeless some coffee. it does not cost me much and others now do the same. A bastard I may be, but a little compassion for those less fortunate can go a long way to brighten their day at minimal cost. Well worth it.

There is a cafe in my town does a similar thing. When you pay for your meal they ask if you'd like to pay for the main part (sandwich or whatever) twice. You put the extra money (or they do if you pay on card) in a jar on the counter and any person down on their luck is welcome to come in and pay for food with money from the jar.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby biglove » February 13th 2018, 5:52pm

Wonderful post. We don’t tithe to a church; but, we give freely to those in need. Only we and our kids know what we do. Have always felt it was important for them to learn.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
biglove
Watchlord WIS

Return to Anything and Everything Else