Good guys win!

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

Good guys win!

Postby Mark1 » October 15th 2017, 8:08pm

Justin Turner three run jack. That's all there is to say.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Re: Good guys win!

Postby TemerityB » October 15th 2017, 9:15pm

Before he was signed as a minor-league free agent by The Los Angeles Dodgers, The New York Mets non-tendered Justin Turner, making him a free agent. In laymen's terms: The Mets let him walk away for nothing.

Being a Mets fan is like getting a colonoscopy ... weekly.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby Mark1 » October 19th 2017, 8:27pm

Dodgers put the Cubbies convincingly. Kiki Hernandez 3 homers in game 5. First time in the World Series since 1988. I remember the 88 series because I was driving cross-country from Oregon to Mississippi to attend technical school at Keesler. Listening on the car radio I can recall Vin Scully calling Kirk Gibsons home run among other things. I knew the Dodgers lineup top to bottom after making annual trips to Dodgertown for spring training. One of the perks of being stationed in Florida at the time. Takes me back.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby TemerityB » October 19th 2017, 9:00pm

Mark1 wrote:Dodgers put the Cubbies convincingly. Kiki Hernandez 3 homers in game 5. First time in the World Series since 1988. I remember the 88 series because I was driving cross-country from Oregon to Mississippi to attend technical school at Keesler. Listening on the car radio I can recall Vin Scully calling Kirk Gibsons home run among other things. I knew the Dodgers lineup top to bottom after making annual trips to Dodgertown for spring training. One of the perks of being stationed in Florida at the time. Takes me back.

I remember the 88 playoffs vividly. I was there for what we New Yorkers have long referred to as the "Mike Sciosia game." Orel Hershiser had one of the best seasons any pitcher's ever had. They deserved to go all the way.

I agree about Vero Beach; why the Dodgers left there is absolutely beyond me. I was so old school and utterly charming. Went down there for seven straight springs; we'd go to four or five spring training parks in a week, and we did that for quite a few years.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby AJC » October 20th 2017, 4:13pm

TemerityB wrote:Before he was signed as a minor-league free agent by The Los Angeles Dodgers, The New York Mets non-tendered Justin Turner, making him a free agent. In laymen's terms: The Mets let him walk away for nothing.

Being a Mets fan is like getting a colonoscopy ... weekly.

Phillies fan here.

We let a young Ryne Sandberg go to the Cubbies for a bag of balls. Just one of many dumb decisions.

I feel your pain.

On the other hand, it wouldn't have been such a long stretch between Series for the Bums if it wasn't for my Phils.

Ah... Good old 08 and 09.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby Mortuus » October 20th 2017, 7:46pm

As a lifelong Dodgers fan who was at both the '81 and '88 World Series, I have some serious déjà vu here, for sure. Of course, all the Dodger-fernalia in and around Rancho de los Muertos is not endearing me to my fellow Sandy-eggans, but joke 'em if they can't take a fuck; in the ear, I say...

In '81, I remember the Blue Crew losing to the Jankees in the first two games, which were in New York, then they came home to their dazed fans and beat the Janks in the next three games at Chavez Ravine. Then old Georgie Steinbrunner staged some sort of mugging against himself in Smell-A, supposedly in a skyscraper elevator, ostensibly trying to get his Jankees fired up to finish off Dem Bums back in Gotham. Of course, much to the delight of Dodgers fans everywhere -- and the absolute chagrin of the east coast-centric sports media -- Dem Bums won it all, and became the first team in World Series histoi' to lose two games and then come back to win four straight. That it was against our arch-rival, the (Evil Empire) Jankees, made it all the more sweet.

And then, in 1988, there was Kirk Gibson, limping and all-but-stumbling to the batter's box in the bottom of the ninth, down by one run, with the tying run on first, only to smack it out of the park and win game 1 against the A's. Dayum, that was soweeet, and I remember thinking that there was no better place in the world to be than Dodger Stadium that night. Dem Bums won the Series in five games that year, and I still remember the last catch of the season being made by Kenny Landreaux out in center field. That was the Dodgers' sixth WS win.

Both Series were extra-sweet for Dodgers fans, as the '81 Series avenged the 1977 & 78 WS losses to the Jankees, and the '88 Series was sweet revenge against the A's, who beat the Bums in the '74 Series. (For some reason, we Dodgers fans carry very large grudges for very long periods of time...go figure. 8-) )

Sorry for the extra-long post, fellows, but it's been a while (29 years! :shock: ) since we bleeders of the Blue were in this position. :oops:
"My inner cynic tells me that if the Chinese are all in on renewable energy it's similar to finding out the Ferengi have endorsed solar." - Hawk
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » October 31st 2017, 8:57pm

Dodgers managed to beat Verlander somehow. Game 7 tomorrow, anything can happen. I'm on the edge of my couch even though I paid for the whole thing.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby Mortuus » October 31st 2017, 11:15pm

Agree...anything could happen, but my heart's with Dem Bums, as it has been for 53+ years now, ever since I went to my first Dodger game at Chavez Ravine (Look it up, if you're from Rio Lindo or Perth-Fremantle) as a wee tyke and my dad, being uncharacteristically generous, bought me a kids' size Dodger ball cap (that I still have somewhere) and slipped onto my pointy little noggin, saying, "If you look good enough in this hat, they might come and ask you to play." I did my best to sit up and look good, but they got some other fellow -- some guy named Koufax -- to pitch for them in that game, and he did pretty good, so they never came and got me. Heck, I even had my little pee-wee league approved baseball mitt (which I also still have somewhere 'round heah) with me, but no foul balls came my way. Still, that Koufax fellow went seven innings that afternoon, and the Bums won...and goddam, I miss my folks so fucking much...and, come to think of it, Vin Scully, Jerry Dogget and Ross Porter, too. :cry:

Jeebus, I was trying to say that I think the Bums ain't going to lose in their home to the space-cadets, not in Game 7 of their first WS in nearly 30 years. But that's just my heart and not my melon. Either way, it's been an awesome as a possum with A-1 Steak Saucem World Series, hain't it?
"My inner cynic tells me that if the Chinese are all in on renewable energy it's similar to finding out the Ferengi have endorsed solar." - Hawk
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » November 1st 2017, 12:23am

What a Series! Going to seven with even odds (IMHO), while the money line from Ceasers has the Dodgers favored at -148 and the Astros the underdog at + 130. It will be interesting to see how Mgr. Roberts uses Kershaw in relief with Darvish getting the start for the Dodgers against McCullers with Keuchel available for relief for the 'Stros. With the home field advantage and dominant pitching staff, the Dodgers have earned their favorite status, but game 7 has a history of being a great equalizer.

The 3f line: Darvish disappoints; 'Stros by 1 run, 4-3 over the Dodgers. Or not, but like the dedguy sayed:
Mortuus wrote:Either way, it's been an awesome as a possum with A-1 Steak Saucem World Series, hain't it?

It has indeed my friend, it sure as hell has- and having no skin in the game, I hope your Dodgers pull it off; I'm just going to enjoy the hell out of it being back home at my fathers and sons poker game's annual Series tournament. The game was started by the grandfathers and fathers (all passed) of the current players (and their sons), the traditions of the game now extending across four generations.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Mark1 » November 1st 2017, 8:53pm

Darvish dug them a hole they couldn't get out of. Congrats to the Astros, with all Houston has been through lately, it doesn't seem like too bad a deal that they should win the series. Maybe next year. Someone please teach Seager, Pederson, Bellinger, et al that you need not swing at shit in the dirt.
Mark1
Founding Member

Postby Mortuus » November 1st 2017, 10:05pm

Ah, well, it seems that rally cry of "Wait'll next year" is still alive and well amongst us Dodgers fans, but that's okay; I can still stand in awe of one of the best ever World Series, powered by two outstanding rosters from two great baseball organizations. That simple fact has served to assuage a lot of my personal angst and sadness that came from having the local NFL franchise poached by both a corrupted and effete league, with its Nero-with-a-violin commish, and a silver-spoon-up-his-ass, snot-nosed 'owner' whose "Fight for L.A." battle cry is about as genuine -- and exceptional -- as the old I promise I won't come in your mouth saw that every sexually active young girl has heard at one time or another.

Now, if we could just somehow get that same kind of winning spirit/record, as displayed by the Dodgers and the Astro's, to the Sandy Eggo Pod Rays, then perhaps we might see an MLB Champions trophy here in Sandy Eggo...and I really won't come in your mouth, honest!

Sooooooo...

Congrat's to the MLB Champion Houston Astro's, who played like champions, and to the people of their hometown, who showed a ton of heart, every minute of every day, for the world to see and admire. You're a superb city, and y'all deserved it!

And congrat's also to my hometown Los Angeles Dodgers, on winning their first National League Championship in nearly 30 years! Just wait'll next year, you guys!

And to BOTH teams: Thanks for an awe-inspiring and truly timeless World Series that will be remembered forever...

...just as my last post of the season in Dodger-Blue will no doubt be forgotten. :3
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » November 2nd 2017, 10:44am

Mark1 wrote:Someone please teach Seager, Pederson, Bellinger, et al that you need not swing at shit in the dirt.

It's the same virus that ran through the Yankees during the ALCS, particularly the last game.

Two really good teams, but I think the overall athleticism of the Astros made them just that one micro-millimeter better. One of the best MLB post-seasons in years; I thought it was better than 2015, even - and that year contained the first time I ever attended a World Series game.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Anything and Everything Else