No Country for Colin Kaepernick

From movies to your mother-in-law, put it here and try not to hurt each other

No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby koimaster » August 11th 2017, 7:42pm

A year ago, Colin Kaepernick—as an injured San Francisco 49ers backup quarterback during an exhibition game—began his practice of sitting during the pregame rendition of the national anthem. “I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” he said of his protest. Through the season, even as he regained the starting gig for 11 games, Kaepernick continued his demonstration.

Of course, his protest wasn’t exactly well-received. Kaepernick faced near-universal revulsion from NFL team offices, and fared little better among the sports commentariat. President Obama and Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg have opined about his protest. President Trump—echoing a large percentage of Americans—has boasted about his role in keeping Kaepernick out of a job. After the quarterback chose to enter free agency in March, the same front offices that criticized him refused to offer him roster spots, even over marginal talents.


https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... urce=atlfb
Image

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
User avatar
koimaster
Administrator/Founder
 
Posts: 32290
Joined: December 16th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby biglove » August 11th 2017, 8:50pm

Free speech doesn't mean free of consequences.

Play the game according to your company's expectations, keep your pie hole shut and respect your teammates/employer enough not to embarrass them. Is what most of us must do to earn our pay.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 10343
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby bedlam » August 11th 2017, 9:06pm

biglove wrote:Free speech doesn't mean free of consequences.

Play the game according to your company's expectations, keep your pie hole shut and respect your teammates/employer enough not to embarrass them. Is what most of us must do to earn our pay.

Are you a man or a bot?
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
User avatar
bedlam
Master of Time
 
Posts: 7022
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby jaw » August 11th 2017, 9:10pm

My only issue w/Kaepernick is that he didn't vote. Otherwise, I support his (our) rights, activism, and philanthropy. Besides, it's just a football game FFS.
User avatar
jaw
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 5156
Joined: July 22nd 2010, 10:00pm

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby conjurer » August 11th 2017, 9:13pm

While Kaepernick is a dumb motherfucker, I respect the fact that he believes in what he believes in. That fact that he pisses off Trump lifts him up in my eyes. If he pisses off Trump, he's OK in my book.
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

Image
User avatar
conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time
 
Posts: 24699
Joined: July 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby biglove » August 11th 2017, 9:16pm

bedlam wrote:
biglove wrote:Free speech doesn't mean free of consequences.

Play the game according to your company's expectations, keep your pie hole shut and respect your teammates/employer enough not to embarrass them. Is what most of us must do to earn our pay.

Are you a man or a bot?


Don't quite understand the question?

What I do understand is that while I am on the clock for my employer I am expected to dress, speak and perform according to their expectations. If I don't agree with their rules I am free to find another job.

While am no fan of the NFL, especially when it comes to their propensity to overlook the thuggish behavior of their employees, I fully understand the team owners' reticence to hire Kapernick. They are selling a product and part of it is image.

Personally, if I pay the big ass NFL game ticket prices I attend expecting not to be exposed to some employee going against the grain on the field. Do your job, play the game and give me what I have paid for.

If protest is your thing, do that shit on your own time, not mine.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 10343
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby bedlam » August 11th 2017, 10:33pm

biglove wrote:
bedlam wrote:
biglove wrote:Free speech doesn't mean free of consequences.

Play the game according to your company's expectations, keep your pie hole shut and respect your teammates/employer enough not to embarrass them. Is what most of us must do to earn our pay.

Are you a man or a bot?


Don't quite understand the question?

What I do understand is that while I am on the clock for my employer I am expected to dress, speak and perform according to their expectations. If I don't agree with their rules I am free to find another job.

While am no fan of the NFL, especially when it comes to their propensity to overlook the thuggish behavior of their employees, I fully understand the team owners' reticence to hire Kapernick. They are selling a product and part of it is image.

Personally, if I pay the big ass NFL game ticket prices I attend expecting not to be exposed to some employee going against the grain on the field. Do your job, play the game and give me what I have paid for.

If protest is your thing, do that shit on your own time, not mine.

A bot then.

Him sitting down has no effect on your 'time'.

A job is a contract between two parties and the employer certainly doesn't own the employee. If the employee identifies illegal, corrupt, unethical, immoral, etc action in the employer they can object to it and protest. If the employer chooses to sack them that is fine if its within the law, if it's not the employee can pursue their legal rights.

None of that is wrong and you don't have to like it.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
User avatar
bedlam
Master of Time
 
Posts: 7022
Joined: November 12th 2011, 11:00pm
Location: Fremantle, Australia (GMT +8)

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby jaw » August 12th 2017, 1:37am

User avatar
jaw
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 5156
Joined: July 22nd 2010, 10:00pm

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby AJC » August 12th 2017, 4:45am

I like that he's not afraid to stand up (or not, in this case) for what he believes in, but he's a sorry quarterback. The 49ers fucked up by choosing him over Alex Smith.

We had three players in Philly including our defensive captain, Malcolm Jenkins, stand with the traditional "black power fist" raised in the air during the anthem and outside of local sports talk radio, no one cared. Jenkins has just stated that he will continue to do so this season.

That's fine with me as long as he continues to play decent safety.

Image
-Madvillian
User avatar
AJC
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 6101
Joined: May 14th 2012, 10:00pm
Location: Wilmington, DE AKA "Murdertown, USA" -Newsweek

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby biglove » August 12th 2017, 5:19am

bedlam wrote:
biglove wrote:
bedlam wrote:
biglove wrote:Free speech doesn't mean free of consequences.

Play the game according to your company's expectations, keep your pie hole shut and respect your teammates/employer enough not to embarrass them. Is what most of us must do to earn our pay.

Are you a man or a bot?


Don't quite understand the question?

What I do understand is that while I am on the clock for my employer I am expected to dress, speak and perform according to their expectations. If I don't agree with their rules I am free to find another job.

While am no fan of the NFL, especially when it comes to their propensity to overlook the thuggish behavior of their employees, I fully understand the team owners' reticence to hire Kapernick. They are selling a product and part of it is image.

Personally, if I pay the big ass NFL game ticket prices I attend expecting not to be exposed to some employee going against the grain on the field. Do your job, play the game and give me what I have paid for.

If protest is your thing, do that shit on your own time, not mine.

A bot then.

Him sitting down has no effect on your 'time'.

A job is a contract between two parties and the employer certainly doesn't own the employee. If the employee identifies illegal, corrupt, unethical, immoral, etc action in the employer they can object to it and protest. If the employer chooses to sack them that is fine if its within the law, if it's not the employee can pursue their legal rights.

None of that is wrong and you don't have to like it.


Nope, it is "my time." Just like any customer I expect the employees of a company to behave appropriately when I conduct business at their establishment. If they don't or won't, I take my business elsewhere.

This is about image and the almighty dollar. The teams don't have an issue with hiring ex-cons or even employing criminals but they know their fan base won't tolerate what is seen as disrespect and a lack of patriotism.
"Adults are obsolete children."-Dr. Seuss
Image
User avatar
biglove
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 10343
Joined: October 27th 2013, 9:18am
Location: Deep South

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby Wasp » August 12th 2017, 5:20am

The mother ship sees revenue loss for actions such as these. It's going to stop.
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Image
User avatar
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 2911
Joined: December 31st 2012, 11:00pm
Location: Zip Code: e-i-e-i-o

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby codguy » August 12th 2017, 5:46am

My 2₵

Kaepernick doesn't have "that" any more. When he first came on the scene, defenses were lost on how to contain him. Once everyone figured him out, game over for #7. Hell, even Hall of Fame QB Kurt Warner couldn't put ole Humpty Dumpty Kaep back together again once he had his great fall (they tried working on his game one off season).


The majority of game paying fans dislike the side show, the only reason another owner may take him on payroll is because they are hurting at QB and he would be better than nothing.
I'm damn glad Sideshow Colin isn't playing in Seattle (so far anyway).

Compare and contrast.......

Image
Image

with....

Image
Image

Seahawks season ticket holder since '98...... go my team.
.



Image
User avatar
codguy
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 5064
Joined: June 9th 2011, 10:00pm

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby AJC » August 12th 2017, 6:47am

Codguy, I'm thinking Kaep's fall off has more to do with his helmet fitting so tight now rather than defenses getting a book on him.
-Madvillian
User avatar
AJC
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 6101
Joined: May 14th 2012, 10:00pm
Location: Wilmington, DE AKA "Murdertown, USA" -Newsweek

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby TemerityB » August 12th 2017, 6:53am

AJC wrote:I like that he's not afraid to stand up (or not, in this case) for what he believes in, but he's a sorry quarterback. The 49ers fucked up by choosing him over Alex Smith.



Well, yeah. But in a country where people are filling up minor league parks to watch white, failed QB Tim Tebow's imitation of a baseball player? The media always follows the sizzle, not the steak.

Kaepernick is not getting signed because he's done; Tebow's now a sideshow because he sucked even worse, and couldn't play. That's all there is to it. If Colin thew like Brady, they'd be lining up to sign him and selling bobbleheads of him on one knee.
"​A very cool, and unique, mid size, automatic, multi-function, offering, from Lucien. Imaginative, intriguing, and affordable. Thanks Lee." - Verbatim
User avatar
TemerityB
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 13188
Joined: June 12th 2010, 10:00pm
Location: New York City

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby Thunder1 » August 12th 2017, 10:24am

^^Yeah, like Robert Griffin III, defenses figured out how to play these 'run' oriented QBs..
Image
Ebels are a lot like women that lack a low cut dress that zips up the side...neither get the love that they deserve...
User avatar
Thunder1
Senior Member & WIS
 
Posts: 3251
Joined: June 22nd 2015, 4:55am
Location: Texas Hill Country near Austin

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby Mark1 » August 12th 2017, 11:13am

If an NFL team happened to need a QB and believed his talents offset his baggage he would be signed by now. Anything happens to Dak, Jerrah would be all over him, (he's a leader). Of course some teams may find themselves in the market for a QB once the season starts. All in all, I don't really care. If Kaepernick really wanted to end his career he'd hook up with one of the Kardashians.
See you're WRONG I don't work at all, I'm a Democrat. The immortal Horse Feathers as spoken to Chucky Ninetoes.
User avatar
Mark1
Founding Member
 
Posts: 7162
Joined: December 19th 2009, 11:00pm
Location: Oregon

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby AJC » August 12th 2017, 5:47pm

TemerityB wrote:
AJC wrote:I like that he's not afraid to stand up (or not, in this case) for what he believes in, but he's a sorry quarterback. The 49ers fucked up by choosing him over Alex Smith.



Well, yeah. But in a country where people are filling up minor league parks to watch white, failed QB Tim Tebow's imitation of a baseball player? The media always follows the sizzle, not the steak.

Kaepernick is not getting signed because he's done; Tebow's now a sideshow because he sucked even worse, and couldn't play. That's all there is to it. If Colin thew like Brady, they'd be lining up to sign him and selling bobbleheads of him on one knee.



Um what?

People are showing up to watch Tebow because of his polarizing, religious nature that turned him into some quasi-celebrity, not because he's a white failed quarterback instead of a black one.

The same would happen if Kaepernick decided to pick up a bat.

Off topic but IMO Tebow swings better lumber than he throws a football/runs an offense.

Edit: I reread your post and agree on your breakdown of the media and why Kaep isn't getting signed. I just think the same would happen with Tebow if he were white, black, Korean, or Eskimo.
-Madvillian
User avatar
AJC
Watchlord WIS
 
Posts: 6101
Joined: May 14th 2012, 10:00pm
Location: Wilmington, DE AKA "Murdertown, USA" -Newsweek

Re: No Country for Colin Kaepernick

Postby BigCheez » August 12th 2017, 6:29pm

A couple of impolitic thoughts (but what else is new):

Tebow drives non-Christians crazy, for having the audacity to be honest and forthright about his faith (the old "message of the cross is foolishness to those that are perishing") Christians kinda dig him for the very same reason.

I had no idea Kap was black until he started sucking at his job. I wouldn't have cared, but the Afro didn't show up until well after his skills had faded. Does anyone else find it ironic that a guy being paid millions to sit on a bench fancies himself the poster boy for *any* "downtrodden " group? May just be me...
Image
User avatar
BigCheez
ASSHAT
 
Posts: 5475
Joined: May 20th 2010, 10:00pm


Return to Anything and Everything Else

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests