Patek Phillipe Service and Maintenance

Are you a watch, or clockmaker, a student, or thinking about becoming one, share your knowledge and questions here.

Patek Phillipe Service and Maintenance

Postby koimaster » August 28th 2017, 9:01am

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Patek Phillipe Service and Maintenance

Postby tiktok » August 28th 2017, 12:17pm

How much does this simple service cost?
tiktok
Senior Member & WIS

Postby koimaster » August 28th 2017, 12:36pm

tiktok wrote:How much does this simple service cost?

http://www.patek.com/en/client-service/service-costs

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » August 28th 2017, 1:07pm

"Refused estimates - 130CHF"

It's like "pay us for not doing a single fucking thing about your watch."

Watching the video, I couldn't help but laugh, when that guy mentioned the horror stories about servicing by independent watchmakers. For what it's worth, I have heard far more horror stories about factory service, than about good independents. Most examples of complete and utter butcher jobs that I've encountered, were committed by jewellers (words to live by: keep your vintage watch away from water, magnets and jewellers) and the manufacturers' service departments.

For watches older than 20 years, they use every reason to fleece as much as possible. For a simple hand-wound wristwatch, they can fleece above 10 grand. The record I've seen was north of 20 for a pocket watch without complications.

It may well look lovely in a promo video, but just as they enjoy fucking up the vintage watch market, they enjoy fleecing people for servicing vintage watches. And I mean fleecing them big-time. The whole claptrap about watches lasting for generations is a lie - it is not in their interest to do that, it's in their interest to drive up the service rate so high, that the next generation simply buys a new watch. And it is in their interest, that whoever wants to buy a Patek from the previous generation, will be fucked twice; first, on the price driven up into the stratosphere by means of bid-rigging, second - on the service rates and killing the availability of parts. That's because then the would-be vintage Patek buyer will be discouraged, and will march straight to the boutique to get a new one, if he really wants a PP so much.

PP may well make extraordinary watches, but in their business practices, they're just extraordinarily dishonest, that dishonesty being more extraordinary than their watches.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to Watch, and Clock makers Corner