Bulova Rebuilt

Have a love for a bygone era? Discuss you vintage loves here!

Bulova Rebuilt

Postby svaglic » November 6th 2017, 8:16am

Has anyone here ever had a Bulova Rebuilt? I guess you could buy the case and dial for when your Bulova was wrecked and transplant the movement and hands into a new case and dial. The dial states Bulova Rebuilt. I don't know if Bulova put them out or if it was just cheap aftermarket deal.
Just wondering if anyone has had one or rebuilt one and is it worth it?
I've seen them on eBay and some are dirt cheap and others cost a pretty penny so I'm not sure of the value on these.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Re: Bulova Rebuilt

Postby conjurer » November 6th 2017, 10:23am

From an archive at WTF, from poster Sam2:

It was a repair kit! Several companies made kits that included a new case with a crystal and dial into which one could install an old movement. These were popular after WWII. Some watch experts assume that they were to fill a need created by a shortage of watch case parts during that time. I have also seen them with the Hamilton name on the dial. According to some, the quality was poor. The kits show up on eBay from time to time. Look at Item Number: 400351144372

Also, a link to TZ:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t= ... sg_4747463
Johannes! My knees are trembling from banging her so hard with my rod!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » November 6th 2017, 10:36am

I've never seen one signed "Rebuilt", but I did see the ones with "Bulova Movement" on the dial, indicating that the watch was not entirely assembled (not cased) by Bulova.

The "movement" inscription may be the more common one, but I'm not sure (just based on my observations) - maybe bobbee will know (well, in case of Bulova, far more than I could possibly know).
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby kevco » November 6th 2017, 11:22am

I have one. Didn't know it until it arrived. Here are my notes in the database I keep:

Bulova-L7 (1957) 23 jewel movement. 6 adjustments. On a nice Kreisler 10kt gold filled cap non-expansion band w/fold over clasp. Paid $56.00. From Gary Newhard. 11 Maple Ave Austintown OH 44515. This is not a true Bulova as it is a rebuilt piece. Movement is Bulova but would not be considered a true bulova watch due to the case and dial not being Bulova products. I found information on MyBulova.com on these rebuild kits.
kevco
Master of Time

Postby four of diamonds » November 6th 2017, 12:16pm

I have seen a few of these in my travels. My understanding was that a "rebuild kit" with various case and dial parts could be purchased and the movement transplanted. At least in those days the rebuild was disclosed as opposed to the cobbled together "franken" vintage pieces that are passed off as authentic.
four of diamonds
Master of Time

Postby bobbee » November 7th 2017, 5:56am

I have found several adverts from the 1940's and 1950's with such dials, both with "rebuilt" and "Bulova movement".
It is jewelers or private jobbers buying old watches with knackered cases/dials modding them.
Mainly find ads in vintage magazines selling them. You can still find the "kits" online sometimes, just get a dial, case and hands for certain models, not just Bulova but Elgin, Waltham, Hamilton, etc.

Here is one from myBulova, showing the whole package.

http://www.mybulova.com/forums/rebuilt-bulova-23

Adverts:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=i_UD ... hu7g&w=685

http://www.mybulova.com/sites/default/f ... lboard.jpg

http://www.mybulova.com/sites/default/f ... 6/1947.jpg
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby svaglic » November 7th 2017, 8:45am

Thanks guys. I have several of the nos cases and dials like in the thread that bobbee put up. I had intentions of getting movements and hands for them and tinkering with them, but have done nothing with them for over a year. I was just wondering if it was worth it to do it and it seems it isn't. Maybe the crystals will come in handy down the road.
The dials on the ones I have are actually nice, they have a textured design on them and the cases look well built, I don't wanna mess with it though.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » November 7th 2017, 8:55am

Interesting stuff. Learn somethin' new every day 'round these parts.
"To really be a watch company, you have to make your own watch with your own movement. Otherwise, you're a casing company." - Roland Murphy
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Return to Vintage Watches