Timex Electric

Timex Electric

Postby SynMike » April 13th 2018, 2:21pm

This is my latest addition, a Timex Electric made in 1971. It is mechanical, not quartz, but battery operated. When current passes through the coil winding (balance assembly) a temporary magnetic field is created. The polarity of that field acts against the permanent magnets to kick the balance wheel around to be pulled back-and-and-forth in its oscillation by the hairspring. So an electical magnetic field replaces the mainspring as power source. Otherwise, it is all the same mechanics as a hand winder or automatic. The movement is specified to run at 21,600bph as far as I can find by readin online but the second hand only ticks 3 times per second so something is divided by 1/2 compared to most mechanicals. I'm going to research that a bit.

It was left behind at our store as non-working, not worth repair costs, without a strap, etc. He had it in a drawer for years. I brought it home to disassemble, to learn a bit. After opening it up to have a look it just started running again. The owner is long gone, it has been sitting around for a while, so I guess it is mine unless I recognize him if he visits the store again.

I have a few vintage watches but I'm picky about style and condition. This one is a style I like and the condition is pretty good. Four features that I like: the linen dial, markers instead of numbers, silver color, no date. I used polywatch on the crystal but it needs one more treatment. I found a nice strap for it (probably worth more than the watch :D ). It is running about 2 minutes fast per day so I will probably take a crack at regulating it some day. I assume regulation is actually done (can it be done?) by adjusting the electrical coil. Oh well, I'll have some fun with it regardless.

There are a few little rain drops on it in the picture. I don't have my light tent set up so I stepped out of the basement door to snap a picture. Next time my light tent is set up I'll get more flattering pictures.

Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and you'll have his shoes.
SynMike
Founding Member - WIS

Re: Timex Electric

Postby foghorn » April 13th 2018, 2:31pm

Great watch. I had a couplebut they both stopped working. I wish I could remember what I did with them. I'd send them to you for the magic touch.

"Work!!????"-Maynard G. Krebs

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby biglove » April 13th 2018, 3:42pm

Looks damned nice for a watch almost 50 years old.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Postby JAS1125 » April 13th 2018, 4:55pm

Very nice!
JAS1125
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » April 13th 2018, 7:36pm

Just the linen dial on that gives me a ropey, dripping boner.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » April 13th 2018, 11:12pm

That watch is in incredible shape given its age. The lack of oxidation on the hands is awesome.

Now, this is the kind of stuff that really makes this forum so much fun for me. Just great.
Buying a hat doesn't make you a cowboy.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby bobbee » April 14th 2018, 2:26am

Marvellous watch, and the dial is fantastic too.
Here is my 1970 example, very similar but with exploding date and gold tone, on a nice vintage Apollo band.

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby foghorn » April 14th 2018, 4:41am

I had a beat up "electronic." The telephone dial version. Along with state of the art calendar complication.

"Work!!????"-Maynard G. Krebs

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby artman » April 14th 2018, 5:07am

Cool vintage Timex guys! All winners.
artman
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » April 14th 2018, 6:12am

Movement pic, model 41.

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Return to Your New Watch