The most valuable Omega. Ever. (so far)

The forum is for the discussion of all things related to Omega watches.

The most valuable Omega. Ever. (so far)

Postby gerdson » November 13th 2017, 10:05am

https://monochrome-watches.com/omega-tourbillon-30l-one-of-the-first-tourbillon-wristwatches-ever-made-auction-chf-1428500-most-expensive-omega-ever-auctioned/

I was aware of Omega's beautiful 30T Chronometers, but I had not known - to this day - that Omega also built very few 30mm Tourbillons in 1947, for the Chronometer contest.

Now I want one. :-o
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

Well, you see, the hole thing began with peyote...
gerdson
Master of Time

Re: The most valuable Omega. Ever. (so far)

Postby svaglic » November 13th 2017, 10:08am

That was an interesting article.
The truth is the truth, even if no one believes it. A lie is a lie, even if everyone believes it. Unknown
svaglic
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby 3Flushes » November 13th 2017, 12:55pm

Fun read- 1.4 million, 7X the auction estimate! Compared to the prices other watches have brought at auction, it seems reasonable by comparison for a such a rare piece made for competition and not production.

I never knew Omega built the first tourbillons in wrist watches- learn something new every day in this joint.
Copyright ©️ 2017 3flushes Media.

"...When a watchmaker puts an eyeglass into his eye to examine something that another watchmaker has made, he's not looking for an opportunity to praise that man, he's looking for imperfections." George Daniels
3Flushes
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » November 15th 2017, 3:03am

Lovely little Swiss cock-sucking article. You can almost hear the slooping sound. So the Omega was a prototype too, but it counts because oh-Swiss-brand, the LIP was a prototype too, but doesn't count as it's French (although it's on the same mountain range as the superior Swiss gnomes) and they died.

What I find weird about Omega, amongst a long list of things, is if they have the stones to build their own tourbillons as they do from time to time, why they had to get ETA design and build their own movements. Surely they should be able to do this with no more difficulty than passing wind after eating some slightly out-of-date chicken? Something stinks, and it's not just their CEO's attitude!
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby gerdson » November 15th 2017, 6:10am

Yeah, but this is about a watch built in 1947, not the crap that they produce today (I mean their marketing and management, not their products, which are still mostly decent).

I do agree the article could (actually should) have elaborated on other prototypes, especially the LIP also to show them the respect they deserve. Fuck the editor for that.

WIth regard to Omega building or not building movements, I don't quite follow You. They only started to use ETA movements on a wider scale in the 70ies (for all I know). Chronographs always came from Lemania until that time.
Ardnut since 1989

In twenty years or so, the German language will be one, massively long compound word.
-- conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » November 15th 2017, 6:25am

I was thinking about the 8500 and 9300 movement families. They are produced by ETA to Omega's technical specification, with ETA's input. I would have expected, given that Omegas are now more expensive than Rolexes, to have something genuinely in-house, made in its own dedicated production facility, not on a line that can flexibly schedule to whip up a batch o' base-model 2824s whenever an order from Victorinox comes in.

So I find it weird that Omega bothers to contract inwards the nous required to build a few tourbillons every few years which it still does, whilst it outsources its bread and butter to someone else? I guess it's good for point scoring ("it's a real manufacturer, they make their own tourbillons you know").
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Pubbie » November 15th 2017, 6:27am

3Flushes wrote:I never knew Omega built the first tourbillons in wrist watches- learn something new every day in this joint.

It's because they didn't - LIP built the first working prototype, someone else invented it, and someone else altogether made the first production versions. Omega didn't get a look in. But the fake news is starting!
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby gerdson » November 15th 2017, 11:44am

Come on now. The headline here is "One Of The First Tourbillon Wristwatches Ever". The LIP is being mentioned, although it doesn't get the credit it may probably deserve. Fair enough to criticize it, but the point of the author is that Omega was the first Swiss company. Not Patek, not Brequet and so on.

I do agree there will be stupid readers out there, who now believe

- Omega did invent the Tourbillon
- they also built the first wristwatch Tourbillon, ever
- and it took another 40 years before anyone else did that

But You can not blame the author for other people being stupid.

Btw. I was not aware of the fact that Omega cost more than Rolex. Not even taking the pricelist compared to real market price. Seriously?
Ardnut since 1989

-- conjurer

gerdson
Master of Time

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » November 16th 2017, 3:33pm

gerdson wrote:Btw. I was not aware of the fact that Omega cost more than Rolex. Not even taking the pricelist compared to real market price. Seriously?

Back in the day - from the 1920s to circa 1980 - Omega used to cost more than Rolex. So did Longines and Zenith. The rapid growth of Rolex prices started in the 1980s, when Rolex realized that they won't win the arms race against the Japanese, and in order to survive, they began increasing the prices and going incommunicado about the technology behind their watches in order to attract the snobs with the "if you're asking questions, it means you can't afford it" attitude. They only began gradually reducing the use of that rhetoric slightly north of a decade ago.
But returning to the original point, they were more about rugged tool watches back in the era mentioned - hardly were they the status symbol. In the US, it wasn't Rolex that was the universally recognizable brand - that title belonged to Longines. IIRC, in the 1970s, the first electric Longines divers costed nearly twice the price of a Submariner.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Pubbie » November 17th 2017, 5:26am

gerdson wrote:Come on now. The headline here is "One Of The First Tourbillon Wristwatches Ever". The LIP is being mentioned, although it doesn't get the credit it may probably deserve. Fair enough to criticize it, but the point of the author is that Omega was the first Swiss company. Not Patek, not Brequet and so on.

I do agree there will be stupid readers out there, who now believe

- Omega did invent the Tourbillon
- they also built the first wristwatch Tourbillon, ever
- and it took another 40 years before anyone else did that

But You can not blame the author for other people being stupid.

That's fair comment - it was the first but clearly at least one person on this thread was hoodwinked!

More widely the stupidity of the general public comes from reliance on single-issue internet media. "Filter bubbles", I think they call them. There are people out there who think NASA helped design the Speedmaster for rocket missions, automatics don't work in space which is why they chose to use a manual-wind in 1962, Rolex invented the wristwatch... anything you want, it's all self-reinforcing. I've seen it and read it. And I'm amazed, with the proliferation of good and referable sources of knowledge that's out there, that people still end up reading shit.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Return to The Omega Forum