hamilton size 12 400 help

hamilton size 12 400 help

Postby doclane » September 25th 2017, 7:21pm

Hamilton size 12 21 jewel 400 movement does anyone got a stem and crown didn't think it would be so hard to find thy only made 2500 and this one is of the first few number 1088 with the serial starting at 1000 was told Illinois made the fist few because of the merge in 1929 does any one know if a Illinois 528 stem will work or part number help :scratch:
doclane

Re: hamilton size 12 400 help

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » September 25th 2017, 8:51pm

Perhaps a stem from another movement, by the same manufacturer and of the same size would work. Or, you can look for a parts donor movement - which won't be easy, if (as you say) not a lot of them were made. Certainly easier than finding the stem alone. Aaaaand, with parts being obsolete, it never hurts to have a stash of one's own.
As a last resort, you can have a new one made, but it will be costly. And when I say "costly", I mean costly in the strongest meaning of this word.

By the way, did you check the movement in the Pocket Watch Database? Usually, there are two quantities given - one of a particular production run, and the other one's the total production of a movement.

Can't help you much with American pocket watches. American PWs are a bit of a terra incognita to me, mostly because I've never paid much attention to them. That may have something to do with the fact, that most American PW (and trench watch) fanboys that I've encountered couldn't see the world outside just that. Their masturbatory odes to various railroad grades and whatnot had me lose any interest in the topic, and so did their off-the-trolley allegations of these watches being superior to anything made elsewhere. Long story short, I'd rather get impaled on a cactus than join that club.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Wasp » September 26th 2017, 6:04am

doclane wrote:Hamilton size 12 21 jewel 400 movement does anyone got a stem and crown didn't think it would be so hard to find thy only made 2500 and this one is of the first few number 1088 with the serial starting at 1000 was told Illinois made the fist few because of the merge in 1929 does any one know if a Illinois 528 stem will work or part number help :scratch:

Are we related?
Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist Fake News Resist Resist Resist Resist Resist
Wasp
Senior Member & WIS

Postby Mortuus » September 27th 2017, 8:54am

Wasp wrote:
doclane wrote:Hamilton size 12 21 jewel 400 movement does anyone got a stem and crown didn't think it would be so hard to find thy only made 2500 and this one is of the first few number 1088 with the serial starting at 1000 was told Illinois made the fist few because of the merge in 1929 does any one know if a Illinois 528 stem will work or part number help :scratch:

Are we related?

TMMLH...
Mortuus
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Return to Hamilton