Watch Review: Fonderia Navale Gondar

Dedicated to Dive watches

Watch Review: Fonderia Navale Gondar

Postby koimaster » April 2nd 2018, 10:41am

It’s a shame that the bullshit money making trend is shifting to smaller case watches and if that wasn’t bad enough the overflow of the constant rehashing of the same “sub mariner” looking watches is making a rather boring sea of watches. Being inspired by a design is completely different than a soulless rehash. That’s why I have such a high respect for the people behind the company of today’s watch for this review. Marching to the beat of their own drum, taking a chance and going against the grain is highly admirable and extremely refreshing.

https://timetoblogwatches.com/2018/03/3 ... le-gondar/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Watch Review: Fonderia Navale Gondar

Postby foghorn » April 2nd 2018, 11:31am

Imma knot liking this hear Navel Gonad waRtcH at all.

"Work!!????"-Maynard G. Krebs

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Pubbie » April 2nd 2018, 7:19pm

200m? Something that size? What a load of shit.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » April 2nd 2018, 7:36pm

Pro: you're not going to need a weight belt when diving with this. You aren't going to damage it on door jambs and refrigerators.

Con: you're going to get dragged down into the abyss when diving with this. You are going to need a joiner to fit new door jambs, and an enameller to refinish your refrigerator door.
"fact of the day, 1 out of 3 trump supporters are as stupid as the other 2" ~ Twitter

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 2nd 2018, 7:43pm

This wartche makes me want to vomit my fucking guts out. After I'm done sloughing my fucking guts out of my mouth, I'll then hammer a fucking Cabriole table leg up my fucking ass.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » April 2nd 2018, 8:11pm

It's not a watch, it's a fucking anvil.
"fact of the day, 1 out of 3 trump supporters are as stupid as the other 2" ~ Twitter

"My father is a mountain, my mother is a washing machine."

"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » April 2nd 2018, 9:11pm

Not only is the watch hideous and unnecessary, what a waste of bandwidth to boot.

I ran into the brand somewhere last year but, since it's the timepiece equivalent of tofu, I avoided it. I think maybe they had those at that Worn & Wound event, along with about 15 other bad ideas gone wrong that will be out of business in six months, uh, micro-brands.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 3rd 2018, 3:35am

Mr.Bloke, don't rant and don't say "fuck", resist the urge to rant, resist... Fuck it! The game's afoot! Follow your spirit, and upon this charge....
It’s a shame that the bullshit money making trend is shifting to smaller case watches

What shame?! Fuck. You.

Marching to the beat of their own drum, taking a chance and going against the grain is highly admirable and extremely refreshing.

The designers of this watch obviously were marching to the beat of their ballsacks knocking on each other's chins or foreheads (I don't even want to know).
Can't see anything admirable or refreshing about this watch.

When I held the Gondar for the first time, I almost felt that special magic emanating from the watch itself.

Magic? Gheyness, maybe.

The bronze that is used for this case and crown isn’t just your standard run of the mill bronze either, it is Naval Grade Bronze (CuAl5) which definitely adds to the badassery of this piece.

It is run of the mill bronze, and "naval grade bronze" sounds like a cheap line from Kickstarter. Probably because it is just that.
Besides, what badassery? That it looks bad, and that its designers were likely cornholing each other while designing it, doesn't make it "badass."

The crown immediately stole my heart. It has everything that I personally look for in a crown design, oversized, easy to grip edges, signed, functionality in all weather situations.

Oh, because if it was any smaller, you wouldn't grip it well on a windy fucking day?

This is a true example of a no nonsense watch.

So far, nonsense is all that I can see about it.

I was really surprised by how well this watch kept time. During this whole review process, I kept it timed against a Rolex DSSD and the Gondar kept pace with the DSSD.

Ohhhh, the Gonad kept pace with a Rolex, how lovely. Ahhhh, the paid reviews...

For the size, weight and dimensions it wears extremely comfortable but also allows you to appreciate it’s solid build.

When does it allow that, when it hits every door frame?

I have a feeling that watches like this are going to become rarer to come across in the industry that is becoming overrun by uninspired, lack of creative vision watches.

Because combining a Panerai clone and a pinch of gheyness is so very inspired.

The bronze case is such a strong highlight of this watch, I spent a great deal of time just admiring the single block of bronze that was carved into this case and then given a brushed finish to complete the look of this piece. The textured enamel green dial just adds so much to this watch yet retains that simplistic magic. I have had the honor and opportunity to review quite a few bronze watches which were all nice, quality pieces, but the Gondar is one of the nicest I have experienced. The passion behind this watch is so evident, designed by someone who has a strong love for watches that found it more important to share that passion, that love instead of following crowd just to make a buck.

Masturbatory claptrap.

Aaaaaarghhhh.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Mr. Bloke & No Co. , Patented Walloping Services, est.2016
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 9th 2018, 9:25am

It’s a shame that the bullshit money making trend is shifting to smaller case watches

What shame?! Fuck. You.

A truly well thought out intelligent response

Marching to the beat of their own drum, taking a chance and going against the grain is highly admirable and extremely refreshing.

The designers of this watch obviously were marching to the beat of their ballsacks knocking on each other's chins or foreheads (I don't even want to know).

Perhaps you can have your mom bring your glassses down to the basement flr you.

When I held the Gondar for the first time, I almost felt that special magic emanating from the watch itself.

Magic? Gheyness, maybe.

I won’t judge your lifestyle choice, what ever gets you through the night. Just don’t harm your gerbils.

The bronze that is used for this case and crown isn’t just your standard run of the mill bronze either, it is Naval Grade Bronze (CuAl5) which definitely adds to the badassery of this piece.

It is run of the mill bronze, and "naval grade bronze" sounds like a cheap line from Kickstarter. Probably because it is just that.
Besides, what badassery? That it looks bad, and that its designers were likely cornholing each other while designing it, doesn't make it "badass."

Again, I won’t judge your obvious male anal fixation

The crown immediately stole my heart. It has everything that I personally look for in a crown design, oversized, easy to grip edges, signed, functionality in all weather situations.

Oh, because if it was any smaller, you wouldn't grip it well on a windy fucking day?

An obvious compensation reference, it’s ok that you squat when you urinate.

Definitely entitled to your opinion here. Your most intelligent comment yet. Perhaps there’s hope for you yet.

I was really surprised by how well this watch kept time. During this whole review process, I kept it timed against a Rolex DSSD and the Gondar kept pace with the DSSD.

Hope is slowly slipping away. Again I won’t judge on the lack of intelligence here, or your fixation with male genitalia

For the size, weight and dimensions it wears extremely comfortable but also allows you to appreciate it’s solid build.

I understand when you have dainty, wrists that are floppy, any watch over 29mm won’t work for you.

I have a feeling that watches like this are going to become rarer to come across in the industry that is becoming overrun by uninspired, lack of creative vision watches.

It was actually inspired by Ennebi watches, and again I am sure if you come up from your mom’s basement and have a heart to heart conversation with her, she will accept your alternative lifestyle.

The bronze case is such a strong highlight of this watch, I spent a great deal of time just admiring the single block of bronze that was carved into this case and then given a brushed finish to complete the look of this piece. The textured enamel green dial just adds so much to this watch yet retains that simplistic magic. I have had the honor and opportunity to review quite a few bronze watches which were all nice, quality pieces, but the Gondar is one of the nicest I have experienced. The passion behind this watch is so evident, designed by someone who has a strong love for watches that found it more important to share that passion, that love instead of following crowd just to make a buck.

Masturbatory claptrap.

Accept yourself man, life is too short. Embrace who you are. We won’t judge you.

Aaaaaarghhhh.[/quote]

Don’t blame the gerbil for biting you, you are the one who inserted it into your ass.
“Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby conjurer » May 9th 2018, 9:41am

Stephenmazinger wrote:

What shame?! Fuck. You.

A truly well thought out intelligent response

Perhaps you can have your mom bring your glassses down to the basement flr you.

Magic? Gheyness, maybe.

I won’t judge your lifestyle choice, what ever gets you through the night. Just don’t harm your gerbils.

Again, I won’t judge your obvious male anal fixation

An obvious compensation reference, it’s ok that you squat when you urinate.

Definitely entitled to your opinion here. Your most intelligent comment yet. Perhaps there’s hope for you yet.

Hope is slowly slipping away. Again I won’t judge on the lack of intelligence here, or your fixation with male genitalia

I understand when you have dainty, wrists that are floppy, any watch over 29mm won’t work for you.

It was actually inspired by Ennebi watches, and again I am sure if you come up from your mom’s basement and have a heart to heart conversation with her, she will accept your alternative lifestyle.

Masturbatory claptrap.

Accept yourself man, life is too short. Embrace who you are. We won’t judge you.

Aaaaaarghhhh.

Don’t blame the gerbil for biting you, you are the one who inserted it into your ass.[/quote]

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Magaziner!!

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby koimaster » May 9th 2018, 9:52am

Don’t blame the gerbil for biting you, you are the one who inserted it into your ass.

Ouch! And sig line worthy as well.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Falstaff » May 9th 2018, 10:29am

Well it certainly appears as though it can withstand a quick dunk in a quiet stream as well as being hung on a tree branch to dry. Quite an accomplishment and a real benchmark of rugged suitability.
I'm your huckleberry.
Falstaff
Watchlord WIS

Postby conjurer » May 9th 2018, 10:49am

I am awaiting Mr. Bloke's learned response with tingling balls.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » May 9th 2018, 10:53am

Welcome to the forum Bazinga!! You learned the ways of the Lords rather quickly and held your own. Believe it or not, you might just fit in :-o

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » May 9th 2018, 10:54am

:nnui:

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 9th 2018, 11:09am

A definite welcome break from some of the anal retentiveness that I have witnessed in some other forums and watch groups. Thanks for the welcome. 🤜🏽💥🤛🏽
“Everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own.”
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 9th 2018, 11:23am

Oi! Chaps! Looks like we've got a "meet the author" event in here... Which, all in all, is a good thing. Microbrand spammers are most welcome, just the perfect punching bags, but in the absence of these guys, a blogger will do. Especially a mediocre blogger, who barges right into the joint without saying hello first, just jumping straight to talking of his most unsettling fascination with gerbils.

On the other hand, "mediocre blogger" sounds like too much of a compliment, given that writing style. Yikes, compared to that, guess that puts REL among Pulitzer contenders.
Now behold, here comes the heavy artillery... Even Clive Cussler would write a better review.

I can merely hope that his gerbil line doesn't come from his own experience, and that no gerbils (or, for that matter, any other animals) were harmed in the process of him creating that line.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » May 9th 2018, 11:30am

:Thumbsup:

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby Stephenmazinger » May 9th 2018, 11:43am

MKTheVintageBloke wrote:Oi! Chaps! Looks like we've got a "meet the author" event in here... Which, all in all, is a good thing. Microbrand spammers are most welcome, just the perfect punching bags, but in the absence of these guys, a blogger will do. Especially a mediocre blogger, who barges right into the joint without saying hello first, just jumping straight to talking of his most unsettling fascination with gerbils.

On the other hand, "mediocre blogger" sounds like too much of a compliment, given that writing style. Yikes, compared to that, guess that puts REL among Pulitzer contenders.
Now behold, here comes the heavy artillery... Even Clive Cussler would write a better review.

I can merely hope that his gerbil line doesn't come from his own experience, and that no gerbils (or, for that matter, any other animals) were harmed in the process of him creating that line.

Come on, you certainly could have done better than that. Like most of your dates in life, I am left unsatisfied, disappointed and underwhelmed.
― Paulo Coelho
Stephenmazinger

Postby foghorn » May 9th 2018, 11:50am

It would be great,Mazinger, if you could post a brief intro so that we know who you are and where your interests ( horological) lie. Then you and MK can continue your repartee and we can sit back and enjoy the hilarity that is bound to ensue. There’s an intro forum here someplace.

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby conjurer » May 9th 2018, 11:50am

It's about time we had a little donnybrook around here. Or even a brouhaha.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby foghorn » May 9th 2018, 12:11pm

conjurer wrote:It's about time we had a little donnybrook around here. Or even a brouhaha.

Or a katzenjammer for those who frequent uhr forum.

foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby TemerityB » May 9th 2018, 1:12pm

conjurer wrote:It's about time we had a little donnybrook around here. Or even a brouhaha.

"Katy, bar the door."
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » May 9th 2018, 3:26pm

Stephenmazinger wrote:Being in the watch industry for many years...

The "industry insider" backstory is on just about every single "about us" page at the blogs. Count me unimpressed. While the fifth column of the industry hailing from greed alone is bad, a fifth column hailing from the industry itself is even worse.

Stephenmazinger wrote:...has brought me to where I currently am

That'd mean "kissing Kickstarter microbrand arse in the middle of nowhere."

Stephenmazinger wrote:I don’t do my reviews for approval or acceptance from other watch enthusiasts or for the approval of the watch companies.

A few blogs have tried that story already, and so far most of them ended up consisting of - pro maiori parte - sponsored content. Or - even worse - they became watch peddlers themselves.

Stephenmazinger wrote:I am bored with the soulless rehashed designs of the endless barage of sub clones out there.

Reviewing homage watches from microbrands is so against the grain, isn't it? Oh, and It's "barrage", not "barage."

Stephenmazinger wrote:I don’t base my likes on watch size...

Actually, you do:
It’s a shame that the bullshit money making trend is shifting to smaller case watches and if that wasn’t bad enough...

Stephenmazinger wrote:I understand when you have dainty, wrists that are floppy, any watch over 29mm won’t work for you.

Two shots at guessing which of the two commas that you've used is completely redundant.

Stephenmazinger wrote:If people read my reviews and take something away from them...

Well, that's not even one big "if", as taking something away from them would require said "something" to be there in the first place.

Stephenmazinger wrote:I am left unsatisfied

Then visit a brothel. Or, if you're Welsh - which with your apparent obsession with bestiality wouldn't surprise me in the slightest - a pasture.

Stephenmazinger wrote:disappointed

Predictably. A vacant mind graced with a single-figure IQ usually is.

Stephenmazinger wrote:and underwhelmed.

Conj, got a stash of Cabriole table legs? However - on second thoughts - I'm also thinking of the Pine Barrens. Or Cabriole table legs and a trip to the Barrens, not necessarily in that order.
Winston Churchill

The Dude

MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Postby koimaster » May 9th 2018, 3:42pm

I am really enjoying this thread. HF would be having a blast with this.

1946-2006

koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Next

Return to Dive Watches