Watch Review: Fonderia Navale Gondar

Dedicated to Dive watches

Watch Review: Fonderia Navale Gondar

Postby koimaster » April 2nd 2018, 10:41am

It’s a shame that the bullshit money making trend is shifting to smaller case watches and if that wasn’t bad enough the overflow of the constant rehashing of the same “sub mariner” looking watches is making a rather boring sea of watches. Being inspired by a design is completely different than a soulless rehash. That’s why I have such a high respect for the people behind the company of today’s watch for this review. Marching to the beat of their own drum, taking a chance and going against the grain is highly admirable and extremely refreshing.

https://timetoblogwatches.com/2018/03/3 ... le-gondar/

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Re: Watch Review: Fonderia Navale Gondar

Postby foghorn » April 2nd 2018, 11:31am

Imma knot liking this hear Navel Gonad waRtcH at all.

I'd like to order a pizza to go with no anchovies.
No anchovies? --- you've got the wrong man. I spell my name "Danger".

Like that but cat-F. Sklodowska
foghorn
Founding Member - WIS

Postby Pubbie » April 2nd 2018, 7:19pm

200m? Something that size? What a load of shit.
Pubbie
Senior Member & WIS

Postby bobbee » April 2nd 2018, 7:36pm

Pro: you're not going to need a weight belt when diving with this. You aren't going to damage it on door jambs and refrigerators.

Con: you're going to get dragged down into the abyss when diving with this. You are going to need a joiner to fit new door jambs, and an enameller to refinish your refrigerator door.
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » April 2nd 2018, 7:43pm

This wartche makes me want to vomit my fucking guts out. After I'm done sloughing my fucking guts out of my mouth, I'll then hammer a fucking Cabriole table leg up my fucking ass.
My horse, Dobby, was my big present

--Smellody

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bobbee » April 2nd 2018, 8:11pm

It's not a watch, it's a fucking anvil.
"Punch a fish, make a wish."~Doctor Penguin.
bobbee
Master of Time

Postby TemerityB » April 2nd 2018, 9:11pm

Not only is the watch hideous and unnecessary, what a waste of bandwidth to boot.

I ran into the brand somewhere last year but, since it's the timepiece equivalent of tofu, I avoided it. I think maybe they had those at that Worn & Wound event, along with about 15 other bad ideas gone wrong that will be out of business in six months, uh, micro-brands.
A real hero never claims to be a hero.
TemerityB
ASSHAT

Postby MKTheVintageBloke » April 3rd 2018, 3:35am

Mr.Bloke, don't rant and don't say "fuck", resist the urge to rant, resist... Fuck it! The game's afoot! Follow your spirit, and upon this charge....
It’s a shame that the bullshit money making trend is shifting to smaller case watches

What shame?! Fuck. You.

Marching to the beat of their own drum, taking a chance and going against the grain is highly admirable and extremely refreshing.

The designers of this watch obviously were marching to the beat of their ballsacks knocking on each other's chins or foreheads (I don't even want to know).
Can't see anything admirable or refreshing about this watch.

When I held the Gondar for the first time, I almost felt that special magic emanating from the watch itself.

Magic? Gheyness, maybe.

The bronze that is used for this case and crown isn’t just your standard run of the mill bronze either, it is Naval Grade Bronze (CuAl5) which definitely adds to the badassery of this piece.

It is run of the mill bronze, and "naval grade bronze" sounds like a cheap line from Kickstarter. Probably because it is just that.
Besides, what badassery? That it looks bad, and that its designers were likely cornholing each other while designing it, doesn't make it "badass."

The crown immediately stole my heart. It has everything that I personally look for in a crown design, oversized, easy to grip edges, signed, functionality in all weather situations.

Oh, because if it was any smaller, you wouldn't grip it well on a windy fucking day?

This is a true example of a no nonsense watch.

So far, nonsense is all that I can see about it.

I was really surprised by how well this watch kept time. During this whole review process, I kept it timed against a Rolex DSSD and the Gondar kept pace with the DSSD.

Ohhhh, the Gonad kept pace with a Rolex, how lovely. Ahhhh, the paid reviews...

For the size, weight and dimensions it wears extremely comfortable but also allows you to appreciate it’s solid build.

When does it allow that, when it hits every door frame?

I have a feeling that watches like this are going to become rarer to come across in the industry that is becoming overrun by uninspired, lack of creative vision watches.

Because combining a Panerai clone and a pinch of gheyness is so very inspired.

The bronze case is such a strong highlight of this watch, I spent a great deal of time just admiring the single block of bronze that was carved into this case and then given a brushed finish to complete the look of this piece. The textured enamel green dial just adds so much to this watch yet retains that simplistic magic. I have had the honor and opportunity to review quite a few bronze watches which were all nice, quality pieces, but the Gondar is one of the nicest I have experienced. The passion behind this watch is so evident, designed by someone who has a strong love for watches that found it more important to share that passion, that love instead of following crowd just to make a buck.

Masturbatory claptrap.

Aaaaaarghhhh.
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last.
Winston Churchill

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
The Dude

Oh, cock!
James May
MKTheVintageBloke
Master of Time

Return to Dive Watches