Stolas watches - shell game?

Dedicated to Dive watches

Re: Stolas watches - shell game?

Postby PiningforElgin » August 28th 2017, 3:37pm

koimaster wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
TemerityB wrote:Haters! You have to get a Stolas - the wisses at WUS told you to!

Haven't you learned anything?!??

What does WUS have to do with this?

The brand was highly promoted over at WUS and if that occurs, cattle run over each other to get to the water (watch). WUS is famous for selling forum brands which would never fly elsewhere. Look at Doxa which finally admitted it came out with the dive watches again in response to forum request (they had been pushing). Same with a few other brands. At one time they were pushing Ernest benz, lower end angular momentums and other shitty watches made to appear as better brands. I case if you put enough make-up on a pig it may still be a pig but you could sell it as a lady. ;)

http://www.watchlords.com/forum/viewtop ... ch#p342773

Sure, this Stolas crap had been a scam. It's very unfortunate it happened. Thanks for the information.

However I don't see anything wrong with a forum-requested watch that wouldn't fly elsewhere. If 100 people on a forum want a watch of a certain specs that no mainstream company sells and people outside of the forum don't want, then Doxa makes one and sell to the 100 forum members, that's called serving a demand. That's a bad thing?

If I want a watch for myself with certain features that aren't offered elsewhere, I band with some likeminded people to order a forum watch to be custom made. That option is a good thing
PiningforElgin

Postby koimaster » August 28th 2017, 3:51pm

PiningforElgin wrote:
Sure, this Stolas crap had been a scam. It's very unfortunate it happened. Thanks for the information.

However I don't see anything wrong with a forum-requested watch that wouldn't fly elsewhere. If 100 people on a forum want a watch of a certain specs that no mainstream company sells and people outside of the forum don't want, then Doxa makes one and sell to the 100 forum members, that's called serving a demand. That's a bad thing?

If I want a watch for myself with certain features that aren't offered elsewhere, I band with some likeminded people to order a forum watch to be custom made. That option is a good thing

And it happens all of the time if you look at watches such as Chris Ward and the like. But in the case of doxa they came up with the same bullshit Invicta did. We are the same company (they are not) and a whole list of fucking lies that the fanbois buy into and defend like little pricks. The doxa bitches have threatened me (posted on this forum by the way) more than once, we had a doxa admin try to troll the place http://watchlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19624 and far more. Companies that target forums such as boschett and other micro brands all at least tried to be straight forward about things. Doxa on the other hand has a made up history since 1978.

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby Hawk » August 28th 2017, 3:52pm

PiningforElgin wrote:Sure, this Stolas crap had been a scam. It's very unfortunate it happened. Thanks for the information.

It's a bad thing if they lie about country of origin - and they (Doxa) did. Repeatedly and vociferously.

The option as you note is a good thing but it shouldn't have to carry mendacity as part of its baggage.

Edited to add: Damn - beat by Koi by about 20 seconds.
This space available for lease
Hawk
ASSHAT

Postby PiningforElgin » August 28th 2017, 4:07pm

koimaster wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:

And it happens all of the time if you look at watches such as Chris Ward and the like. But in the case of doxa they came up with the same bullshit Invicta did. We are the same company (they are not) and a whole list of fucking lies that the fanbois buy into and defend like little pricks. The doxa bitches have threatened me (posted on this forum by the way) more than once, we had a doxa admin try to troll the place viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19624 and far more. Companies that target forums such as boschett and other micro brands all at least tried to be straight forward about things. Doxa on the other hand has a made up history since 1978.

That is terrible and I concur. I wrongly assumed you meant all forum-requested watches are bad - an assumption I retract now
PiningforElgin

Postby bedlam » August 28th 2017, 7:38pm

PiningforElgin wrote:
koimaster wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:

And it happens all of the time if you look at watches such as Chris Ward and the like. But in the case of doxa they came up with the same bullshit Invicta did. We are the same company (they are not) and a whole list of fucking lies that the fanbois buy into and defend like little pricks. The doxa bitches have threatened me (posted on this forum by the way) more than once, we had a doxa admin try to troll the place http://watchlords.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19624 and far more. Companies that target forums such as boschett and other micro brands all at least tried to be straight forward about things. Doxa on the other hand has a made up history since 1978.

That is terrible and I concur. I wrongly assumed you meant all forum-requested watches are bad - an assumption I retract now

The guys behind Doxa/ISOfrane/Jenny/Aquadive were why I was banned from WUS. The advertisers were being given moderator level access and could see details about posters. Ernie had conniptions when I exposed that the Synchron (Doxa) guys had used forum details to identify me and had emailed me back-channel with threats to stop questioning the voracity of their claims on WUS. He banned me permanently before changing the privacy rules.
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby conjurer » August 28th 2017, 8:08pm

bedlam wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:
koimaster wrote:
PiningforElgin wrote:

The guys behind Doxa/ISOfrane/Jenny/Aquadive were why I was banned from WUS. The advertisers were being given moderator level access and could see details about posters. Ernie had conniptions when I exposed that the Synchron (Doxa) guys had used forum details to identify me and had emailed me back-channel with threats to stop questioning the voracity of their claims on WUS. He banned me permanently before changing the privacy rules.

Fucking Earnie was the Stalin of watch fora, in that he so totally banned Bedlam that you can't even type his name at WUS without it appearing as *******. Given Bed's communistic tendencies, I find this rather amusing.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby bedlam » August 28th 2017, 10:56pm

conjurer wrote:Fucking Earnie was the Stalin of watch fora, in that he so totally banned Bedlam that you can't even type his name at WUS without it appearing as *******. Given Bed's communistic tendencies, I find this rather amusing.

As someone said another time, I'm the Voldemort of WUS :-)
"If I could put a finger on the moment we genuinely fucked ourselves, it was the moment we decided that data was something you could use words like believe or disbelieve around...

The Water Knife

Paolo Bacigalupi
bedlam
Master of Time

Postby AJC » August 29th 2017, 4:00am

bedlam wrote:
conjurer wrote:Fucking Earnie was the Stalin of watch fora, in that he so totally banned Bedlam that you can't even type his name at WUS without it appearing as *******. Given Bed's communistic tendencies, I find this rather amusing.

Probably the funniest thing about WUS in my opinion.

That and the fact that ol beds just threw on a pair of Groucho Marx glasses he doesn't even know.
-Madvillian
AJC
Watchlord WIS

Postby koimaster » January 29th 2018, 4:21pm

1946-2006

“Your heart was warm and happy

With the lilt of Irish laughter

Every day and in every way

Now forever and ever after."
koimaster
Administrator/Founder

Postby conjurer » January 29th 2018, 8:01pm

koimaster wrote:Image

It's pretty unsettling to see somebody willing to spread their ass cheeks for REL Adams (usually it's the other way around)--but if there ever was such a person, Larry Holmack would be the guy.

Personally, if I was Larry, I would have gone the Kurt Cobain route out of the hobby a long time ago, eating myself a blued-steel brunch, and getting out while I was behind. If there ever was a fucking loser in this hobby--and this hobby is, alas, full of 'em--it's Larry.
Jim...you are a ray of sunshine here.

--pacerguy, tonguing Jawbone's distended ballsack, at WITless.

conjurer
ASSHAT & Master of Time

Postby biglove » January 29th 2018, 8:01pm

koimaster wrote:Image

Makes me grunt in disgust. FFS, what a loser.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."- Mark Twain

biglove
Watchlord WIS

Previous

Return to Dive Watches